|Dr. Xiangguo Qiu
Adjunct Professor, Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba
Head, Serology Diagnostic Unit, Special Pathogens Program, National Microbiology Laboratory Degrees: M. D. (Hebei Medical University, China 1985), MSc (Tianjin Medical University, 1990)
Mailing Address: National Microbiology Laboratory, 1015 Arlington street , Winnipeg , Manitoba , Canada R3E 3R2 Tel: (204) 784-7548 (O) (204) 789-5097 (Lab) Fax: (204) 789-2140 E-mail: Xiangguo.email@example.com
Study emerging/re-emerging biosafety level (BSL) 3 and 4 viruses. My main interests are: to develop and test novel vaccine platforms for different applications including the protection against emerging pathogens; to develop and evaluate therapeutics especially mAb therapy for BSL3 and 4 viruses; to develop animal models as a tool for studying pathogenesis and identifying immune correlates of these viruses.
Patent: PCT/CA2009/000070, “Monoclonal antibodies for Ebola and Marburg viruses”.
1. Research Merit Award in 2006 (team), Public Health Agency of Canada
2. Research Merit Award in 2013, Public Health Agency of Canada
For an up to date link to publications from Dr. Qiu please click here
1. Wong G, Richardson J, Cutts T, Qiu X and Kobinger GP. Intranasal immunization with an adenovirus vaccine protects guinea pigs from Ebola virus transmission by infected animals. Antiviral Res. 2015 Jan 14;116C:17-19. doi: 10.1016/j.antiviral.2015.01.001. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Chowell D, Castillo-Chavez C, Krishna S, Qiu X and Anderson KS. Predicting the impact of detecting pre-symptomatic Ebola infections on the transmission dynamics of the 2014 West African outbreak. The Lancet Infectious Disease Vol 15 February 2015
3. Choi JH, Jonsson-Schmmunk K, Qiu X, Shedlock D, et al. A Single Dose Mucosal Recombinant Adenovirus-Based Vaccine Provides Long-Term Protection for Non-Human Primates from Lethal Ebola Infection. Molecular Pharmaceutics. 2014 Nov 1. [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1021/mp500646d
4. Wong G, Qiu X, Richardson J, Cutts T, et al. Ebola virus transmission in guinea pigs. J Virol. 2014 Nov 12. pii: JVI.02836-14. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Murin DM, Fusco ML, Bornholdt ZA, Qiu X, et al. Structures of protective antibodies reveal sites of vulnerability on Ebola virus.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Nov 17. pii: 201414164. [Epub ahead of print]
6. Audet J, Wong G, Wang H, Lu G, Gao GF, Kobinger GP and Qiu X. Molecular Characterization of the Monoclonal Antibodies Composing ZMAb: A Protective Cocktail Against Ebola Virus. Sci Rep. 2014 Nov 6; 4:6881. doi: 10.1038/srep06881.
7. Wiliams K, Qiu X, Fernando L, Steven JM and Alimonti J. VSVG/EBOV GP-induced Innate Protection Enhances NK Cell Activity to Increase Survival in a Lethal MA-EBOV Infection. Viral Immunol. 2014 Dec 10. [Epub ahead of print]
8. de La Vega M, Wong G, Kobinger GK and Qiu X. The Multiple Roles of sGP in Ebola Pathogenesis. Viral Immunol. 2014 Oct 29. [Epub ahead of print]
9. Qiu X, Wong G, et al Reversion of advanced Ebola virus disease in nonhuman primates treated with ZMappTM. Nature. 2014 Aug 29. doi:10.1038/nature13777. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Wong G, Audet J, Fernando L, Fauster-Bovendo H, Alimonti JB, Kobinger GP and Qiu X. Immunization with vesicular stomatitis vaccine expressing the Ebola glycoprotein provides sustained long-term protection in rodents. Vaccine. 32 (2014) 5722-5729
11. Qiu X, Wong G, Audet J, Cutts T, Niu Y, Booth S and Kobinger GP. Establishment and characterization of a lethal mouse model for the Angola strain of Marburg virus. J Virol. 2014 Aug 20. pii: J Virol .01643-14. [Epub ahead of print]
12. Alimonti J. B., Leung A., Jones S., Gren J., Qiu X., Fernando L., Balcewich B., Wong G., Ströher U., Grolla A., Strong J. E., and Kobinger G. P. (2014). Evaluation of transmission risks associated with in vivo replication of several high containment pathogens in a biosafety level 4 laboratory. Sci Rep. 2014 Jul 25;4:5824. doi: 10.1038/srep05824.
13. Wong G, Kobinger GP, Qiu X. Characterization of immune response of Ebola virus infection. Expert Review of Clinical Immunology. 2014 Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2014 Apr 18. [Epub ahead of print]
14. Wong G, Qiu X, Olinger GG, Kobinger GP. Post-exposure therapy of filovirus infections with monoclonal antibodies. Trends in Microbiol. 2014 Apr 30. pii: S0966-842X(14)00073-0. doi: 10.1016/j.tim.2014.04.002. [Epub ahead of print]
15. Qiu X, Kobinger GP. Antibody therapy for Ebola: is the tide turning around? Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics. 2014; 10(4): .
16. Lennemann NJ, Rhein BA, Chandran K, Qiu X and Maury W. Comprehensive functional analysis of N-linked glycans on the Ebola virus GP1. mBio 2014, Jan 28;5(1). pii: e00862-13. doi: 10.1128/mBio.00862-13.
17. Qiu X, Kobinger GP. Retrospective Studies: an excellent tool to complement surveillance. JID 2013; doi: 10.1093/infdis/jit604
18. Qiu X, Audet J, et al. Sustained protection against Ebola virus infection following treatment of infected nonhuman primates with monoclonal antibodies. Sci Rep 2013; 3:3365 doi: 10.1038/srep03365
19. Qiu X, Wong G, et al. MAbs and Ad-vectored IFN-á therapy rescues Ebola infected nonhuman primates when administered after the detection of viremia and symptoms. Sci Transl Med 2013, 5(207ra143) DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3006605
20. Qiu X, Wong G, et al. Monoclonal antibodies combined with adenovirus-vectored interferon significantly extend the treatment window in Ebola virus-infected guinea pigs. J. Virol. 2013, 87(13):7754. DOI: 10.1128/JVI.00173-13.
21. Wang G, Richardson JS, Pillet S, Patel A, Qiu X, et al. Immune Parameters Correlating with Protection against Ebola Virus Infection in Rodents and Nonhuman Primates. Sci Transl Med 2012, 31;4(158):158ra146. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3004582.
22. Qiu X, Audet J, et al. Successful Treatment of Ebola Virus–Infected Cynomolgus Macaques with Monoclonal Antibodies. Sci Transl Med 2012, 4(138 ra81) DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3003876
23. Qiu X, Fernando L, et al. Ebola GP-Specific Monoclonal Antibodies Protect Mice and Guinea Pigs from Lethal Ebola Virus Infection. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2012; 6(3): e1575. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0001575
24. Qiu X, Fernando L, et al. Protective Immunodominant Zaire Ebolavirus Glycoprotein Epitope in Mice. J Bioterr Biodef 2011, S1, 006
25. Qiu X, Alimonti JB, et al. Characterization of Zaire ebolavirus glycoprotein-specific monoclonal antibodies. Clin. Immunol. 2011, 141, 218-227
26. Qiu X, Fernando L, et al. Mucosal immunization of cynomolgus macaques with the VSVDeltaG/ZEBOVGP vaccine stimulates strong ebola GP-specific immune responses. PLoS One. 2009; 4(5):e5547. Epub 2009 May 14.
Qiu X, Wong G, Audet J and Kobinger G. Therapeutic Monoclonal Antibodies for
Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever. Monoclonal Antibodies: Production, Clinical
Applications and Role in Infectious Diseases. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. NY
LOOKING FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS (MASTERS, PhD, POST-DOCS) WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR (Feb 2015)