Dr. Meenu Sharma is research scientist and conducts basic and applied mycobacteriology research at NML. Her lab has established both national and international collaborations and her research work has helped National TB lab gain recognition in tuberculosis basic research using animal models and in diagnostic and applied research using the novel genotyping methodologies and databases.
Testing for second line antimicrobials has become critical due to the rapid emergence of MDR and XDR TB strains world-wide. Her lab has utilized molecular methods, bacterial and human genetics, new technology platforms for testing, new algorithms, utilization of different genotyping methods for tracking tuberculosis outbreaks and TB control.
Book Chapters, Reports (2010 – current)
1. B Forbes, M Miller, N Banaei, B Brown-Elliot, S Das, M Salfinger, M K Sharma, A Somoskovi, J Tans-Kersten, F C Tenoer, D Warshauer and A M Zelazny.
M48 - Laboratory detection and identification of mycobacteria. Clinical and laboratory Standards Institute. 2nd edition, September 2018.
2. Technical report on critical concentration for drug susceptibility testing of medicines used in the treatment of drug resistant tuberculosis. 2018. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2018 (WHO/CDS/TB/2018.5). Licence CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.
Major data contributors (M. Sharma listed).
3. S. Christianson, F. Jamieson, J. Wolfe, and M. Sharma.
Appendix D: TUBERCULOSIS AND MYCOBACTERIOLOGY LABORATORY STANDARDS: SERVICES AND POLICIES. In: Canadian Tuberculosis Standards, 7th ed. 2013 Public Health Agency of Canada and the Canadian Lung Association/Canadian Thoracic Society.
Research Papers (2010 – current)
1. Patel, S., Paulsen, C., Heffernan, C., Saunders, D., Sharma, M., King, M.,Long, R. (2017).
Tuberculosis transmission in the Indigenous peoples of the Canadian prairies. PLoS ONE, 12(11), e0188189.
2. Tyler AD, Randell E, Baikie M, Antonation K, Janella D, Christianson S, et al. (2017)
Application of whole genome sequence analysis to the study of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Nunavut, Canada. PLoS ONE 12(10): e0185656.
3. S. Kiazyk, L. Larcombe, C. Lopez, S. Matyas, C. Mesa, P. Orr, J. Juno, J. Waruk, M. Sharma, T. B. Ball (2016)
IFN-γ promoter polymorphisms do not affect QuantiFERON® TB Gold In-Tube test results in a Canadian population. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 20(12):1647-1652 ·
4. Christianson S, Grierson W, Kein D, Tyler AD, Wolfe J, Sharma MK (2016)
Time-to-Detection of Inducible Macrolide Resistance in Mycobacterium abscessus Subspecies and Its Association with the Erm(41) Sequevar. PLoS ONE 11(8): e0158723. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0158723
5. Tyler AD, Christianson S, Knox NC, Mabon P, Wolfe J, Van Domselaar G, et al. (2016)
Comparison of Sample Preparation Methods Used for the Next-Generation Sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PLoS ONE 11(2): e0148676.
6. Braun K, Wolfe J, Kiazyk S, Kaushal Sharma M. (2015)
Evaluation of host genetics on outcome of tuberculosis infection due to differences in killer immunoglobulin-like receptor gene frequencies and haplotypes. BMC Genet. 2015 Jun 16;16:63.
7. Jillian L.M. Waruk, Zipporah Machuki, Christine Mesa, Jennifer Juno, Omu Anzala, Meenu Sharma, T. Blake Ball, Julius Oyugi, Sandra Kiazyk. (2015)
Cytokine and chemokine expression profiles in response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis stimulation are altered in HIV-infected compared to HIV-uninfected subjects with active tuberculosis. Tuberculosis, doi:10.1016/j.tube.2015.05.001
8. Christianson S, Meenu K. Sharma, Maureen Baikie, Elaine Randall and Joyce Wolfe (2015)
Molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis in the Nunavut territory in Canada. ICCH processing.
9. J. L. de Beer, C. Ko¨ dmo¨ n, J. van Ingen, P. Supply, D. van Soolingen, (2014)
The Global Network for the Molecular Surveillance of Tuberculosis 2010 (includes M Sharma). Second worldwide proficiency study on variable number of tandem repeats typing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex. INT J TUBERC LUNG DIS 18(5):594–600
10. S. Christianson, D Voth, M. Sharma, J Wolfe. (2014)
Re-evaluation of the critical concentration for ethambutol antimicrobial sensitivity testing on the MGIT 960. PLOS ONE. 2014 9(9):e108911.
11. Sara Christianson, Meenu K. Sharma, Maureen Baikie, Elaine Randell and Joyce Wolfe. (2013)
Molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis in the Nunavut territory in Canada. Int J Circumpolar Health 2013, 72: 22447 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v72i0.22447
12. Braun K, Larcombe L, Orr P, Nickerson P, Wolfe J, Sharma M. (2013)
Killer Immunoglobulin-Like Receptor (KIR) Centromeric-AA Haplotype Is Associated with Ethnicity and Tuberculosis Disease in a Canadian First Nations Cohort. PLoS ONE 8(7): e67842. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0067842
13. S Christianson, W Grierson, J Wolfe, and M Sharma. (2013)
Rapid, molecular detection of macrolide resistance in the Mycobacterium avium complex: Are we there yet? J. Clin. Microbiol. vol. 51 no. 7 2425-2426
14. Christianson S, Wolfe J, Soualhine H, Sharma MK. (2012)
Comparison of repetitive-sequence-based polymerase chain reaction with random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis for rapid genotyping of nontuberculosis mycobacteria. Can J Microbiol. ;58(8):953-64.
15. Ahmed R, Miedzinski L, Sharma MK, Tyrrell G. (2013)
Safety of Injecting Insulin Through Clothes: A case of M. immunogenum cutaneous infection and review of the literature, Clinical Diabetes vol. 31 no. 2 76-78.
16. Cowan LS, Hooks DP, Christianson S, Sharma MK, Alexander DC, Guthrie JL, Jamieson FB, Supply P, Allix-Béguec C, Cruz L, Desmond E, Kramer R, Lugo S, Rudrik J. (2012)
Evaluation of mycobacterial interspersed repetitive-unit-variable-number tandem-repeat genotyping as performed in laboratories in Canada, France, and the United States. J Clin Microbiol. 50(5):1830-1; author reply 1832.
17. MK Sharma, Louise Thibert, Pamela Chedore, Cary Shandro, Frances Jamieson, Gregory Tyrrell, Sara Christianson, Hafid Soualhine, Joyce Wolfe. (2011)
A Canadian Multicentre Laboratory Study for Standardized Second-line Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Journal of Clinical Microbiology; 49: 4112-4116
18. Jessica L. de Beer, Kristin Kremer, Csaba Ködmön, Philip Supply, Dick van Soolingen and the “Global network for the molecular surveillance of tuberculosis 2009” (in alphabetical order: David Alexander, Ewa Augustynowicz-Kopeć, Urska Bidovec-Stojkovic, Martin J. Boeree, Timothy Brown, Daniela M. Cirillo, Laura Cruz, Susana David, Raul Diaz, Horng-Yunn Dou, Jason T. Evans, Maryse Fauville-Dufaux, Margaret M. Fitzgibbon, Darío García de Viedma, Maria Globan, Ramona Groenheit, Marjo Haanperä-Heikkinen, Alexander Indra, Kai Man Kam, Rebecca Kramer, Shang Mei, Stefan Niemann, Mihaela Obrovac, Erik M. Rasmussen, Guislaine Refrégier, Jaime A. Robledo, Sofia Samper, Meenu K. Sharma, Wladimir Sougakoff, Petras Stakenas, Ruth Stavrum, Philip N. Suffys, Juraj Trenkler, Takayuki Wada, and Robin M. Warren. (2011)
First worldwide proficiency study on variable numbers of tandem repeats typing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex strains. Journal of Clinical Microbiology doi: 10.1128/JCM.00607-11.
19. A Moniruzzaman, A Kazanjian, K Elwood, H Wong, P Tang, M Rodrigues, M K Sharma, and J Mark FitzGerald. (2010)
A population based study of tuberculosis recurrence: relapse versus re-infection.; Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181:A5377
20. R Talavlikar, J Carson, B. Meatherill, S. Desai, M K Sharma, C Shandro, G Tyrrell and S Kuhn. (2011)
Mycobacterium senelaglense tissue infection in a child after fish tank exposure. 22:101-103.
21. M K Sharma. (2011)
Mycobacterium tuberculosis Surveillance in Canada, National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases, Purple Paper, Issue No. 24, February 2011
22. J. Gardy, J. Johnston, S. Sui, V. Cook, L. Shah, E. Brodkin, S. Rempel, R. Moore, Y. Zhao, R. Holt, R. Varhol, I. Birol, M. Lem, M K Sharma, K. Elwood, S. Jones, F. Brinkman, R. Brunham, P. Tang. (2011)
Whole Genome Sequencing and Social Network Analysis of a Tuberculosis Outbreak. New England Journal of Medicine, 364:730-739.
23. S. Malhotra, V. J. Cook, J. N. Wolfe, P. Tang, R. K. Elwood and M K Sharma.
A mutation in Mycobacterium tuberculosis rpoB gene confers rifampin resistance in three HIV-TB cases. Tuberculosis 90 (2010) 152–157
24. Christianson S, Wolfe J, Orr P, Karlowsky J, Levett PN, Horsman GB, Thibert L, Tang P, Sharma MK. (2010)
Evaluation of 24 locus MIRU-VNTR genotyping of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in Canada. Tuberculosis 90:31-38.
25. P. Chedore, L. Bertucci, J. Wolfe, M K Sharma and F. Jamieson (2010)
Potential for erroneous results indicating resistance when using the Bactec MGIT 960 system for testing susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to pyrazinamide. J. Clin. Microbiol. 48:300-301.
For a list of Dr. Sharma's PubMed articles, please click here