Areas of Specialization:
Archaeology, zooarchaeology, seasonality, Northwest Coast prehistory, western fur trade, historical archaeology, theory.
- 2017* Zooarchaeology of the Northwest Coast of North America. In U. Albarella, H. Russ, K. Vickers and S. Viner-Daniels (eds.) Oxford Handbook of Zooarchaeology. Chapter 32. Oxford University Press.
- 2017* Monks, G.G. (ed.) Climate Change and Human Responses: a Zooarchaeological Perspective. Paleobiology and Paleoanthropology Series, Springer Verlag, Cham.
- 2017* Introduction (Chapter 1). In G.G. Monks (ed.) Climate Change and Human Responses: a Zooarchaeological Perspective. Paleobiology and Paleoanthropology Series, Springer Verlag, Cham.
- 2017* Evidence of Changing Climate and Subsistence Strategies Among the Nuu-chah-nulth of Canada’s West Coast (Chapter 10). In G.G. Monks (ed.) Climate Change and Human Responses: a Zooarchaeological Perspective. Paleobiology and Paleoanthropology Series, Springer Verlag, Cham.
- 2012* Seasonality Studies (update). In Neil A. Silberman (ed.) The Oxford Companion to Archaeology. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (Douglas J. Kennett and Gregory G. Monks)
- 2012* Review of T.J. Braje and Torben C. Rick (eds.) Human Impacts on Seals, Sea Lions, and Sea Otters: Integrating Archaeology and Ecology in the Northeast Pacific. University of California Press, 2011. American Antiquity 77(2):399-400.
- 2011* Comment on Cannon and Yang (2006): Early Storage and Sedentism on the Pacific Northwest Coast: ancient DNA analysis of salmon remains from Namu, British Columbia. American Antiquity 76(3):573-584. (G. Monks and T. Orchard)
- 2011* Locational Optimization and Faunal Remains in Northern Barkley Sound, Western Vancouver Island, British Columbia. In Madonna Moss and Aubrey Cannon (eds.) The Archaeology of North Pacific Fisheries. University of Alaska Press, pp. 129-148.
Submitted or In Press
- *Optimal Foraging, Costly Signaling, and Nuu-chah-nulth Whaling. Aboriginal Whaling and Identity in the Twenty-First Century. James Savelle and Nobuhiro Kishigami (eds.). Tokyo, Springer Verlag.
- Excavations at Upper Fort Garry, 2010. Manitoba Archaeological Journal. (in press).
Manuscripts in Progress
- Northern Fur Seals in the Northeast Pacific: then and now. T.M. McGreevy and G.G. Monks. Anticipated venue Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology.
- Zooarchaeology on the Northwest Coast of North America. Ms in preparation.
- The Fauna from Ma’acoah (DfSi-5): a descriptive report. (ca. 100 pages of text, 50 tables, 25 figures, appendices). To be archived online at MSpace, University of Manitoba.