Animal science students are eligible for a number of University of Manitoba and faculty of agricultural and food sciences scholarships and bursaries. There is also over $10 000 awarded annually through scholarships and bursaries specifically designated to animal science and pre-veterinary students.
Animal science has a number of scholarships (totalling over $3600 annually) for students in third and fourth year and for graduating students. None of these scholarships require a special application as all students enrolled in the program who have met the criteria for each award are automatically considered.
Continuing (third- and fourth-year students) scholarships include:
- Animal Nutrition Association of Canada Scholarship ($500)
- Canadian Society of Animal Science Book Prize ($100)
- Manitoba Egg Producers Scholarship ($300)
- Manitoba Hatchery Association Scholarship ($400)
- Nevin Estate Scholarship - Degree ($1000)
- S.C. Stothers Award in Animal Science ($125)- may also be awarded to a graduating student
- Westgen Scholarship in Animal Science ($1000)
- Cyril L. Anderson - Ridley Canada Ltd. Award in Animal Science ($500)
- E.W. Stringam Award for Excellence in Animal Science ($400)
- Manitoba Pork Council Prize ($1000)
Students who enter the Western College of Veterinary Medicine from the pre-veterinary program within the faculty of agricultural and food sciences are eligible for the Norman E. Stanger Prize in pre-veterinary studies ($1000).
When animal science students fill out the University of Manitoba bursary application form, they become eligible for a number of university and faculty bursaries, as well as a number of bursaries specifically established to help students within the animal science/pre-veterinary programs.
The bursaries established to help undergraduate students in animal science include:
- Interlake Grassland Society Bursary ($1300)
- Jack Woodhouse Memorial Bursary ($225)
- Manitoba Egg Producers Bursary ($800)
- Manitoba Milk Producers Bursary ($1000)
- Manitoba Pork Council Bursary ($1000)
A wide range of scholarships are offered for graduate students entering and attending school in the department of animal science, including NSERC, University of Manitoba graduate fellowships, and scholarships designed to either top up awards or act as stand-alone awards.
- Anderson-Ridley Canada Limited Graduate Fellowship ($12 500)
- Canadian Wheat Board Scholarship (yr 1: $16 500, yrs 2-3: $18 500)
- CBHEMA-Broiler Breeder Research Scholarship ($2000)
- James Gordon Fletcher Graduate Fellowship in Agricultural and Food Sciences ($12 000)
- Lord Selkirk Association of Rupertsland Agriculture Scholarship ($1000)
- Sydney L. Morantz Fund for Research in Poultry Science
- Nevin Animal Breeding Graduate Fellowship ($11 000)
- Robert J. Parker Fellowship in Swine Science ($5000)
- W.W. Thomson Scholarship ($1400)
- Kenneth G. Wersh Fellowship ($3800)
- Norval C. Young Graduate Fellowship in Animal Science ($3500)
The bursaries established to help graduate students in animal science include: