Department of Geological Sciences
University of Manitoba
Star Lake Field Station, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba
The Geological Sciences Field Station, approximately 170 km southeast of Winnipeg, is located in the Precambrian shield on the shores of beautiful Star Lake. It is ideally situated for conducting geological and geophysical field instruction and research in the area. Operated by the Department of Geological Sciences, it is a seasonal facility (closed early October to late April), providing rustic, camp-style, overnight accommodations, kitchen facilities, and washroom/shower facilities. It is used primarily for teaching and research by the Department of Geological Sciences, but it is also available for rental by other departments and programs of the University. The facility includes:
- A student bunkhouse with large 5 rooms (5 bunk-beds in each room). Bunks have camp-style single mattresses. Users bring their own bedding, pillows, towels. Each room in the main bunkhouse contains lockers, running hot/cold water, a flush toilet, and electric heat. Student showers adjoin the bunkhouse building.
- A staff bunkhouse with 6 small bedrooms and a meeting/sitting area. Washroom facilities are in the adjacent kitchen building. The building is electrically heated.
- The kitchen building includes seating for 50+, full kitchen facilities with dishwasher, hot/cold water, 3 fridges, 1 freezer, 2 stoves, 1 grill, all essential cookware and utensils, all essential tableware. The building has electric heating. Users bring linen, paper products, cleaning products, all food products and condiments. The building also contains two bathrooms with showers and a storage area for dry goods. Containers are provided to haul in drinking water from nearby sources. Users are responsible for cooking arrangements – i.e. the Department does not provide kitchen personnel or any other on-site staff support.
- The classroom complex features one large classroom, one smaller classroom and several side rooms which may be used for offices or small meeting rooms. Buildings are electrically heated.
Information for university departments and programs interested in booking the facility:
- The facility is unavailable for approximately 3 weeks each spring due to field courses taught by Geological Sciences. In addition, it is booked for use annually by Entomology for one week in August. Other reservations will be taken on a first come, first served basis and at the discretion of the Department of Geological Sciences.
- A modest rental fee applies and is assessed on a per person/per night basis. In addition, a damage deposit is required.
For further information or to book the facility contact:
240 Wallace Bldg.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2
Phone: (204) 474-8781