Town of Neepawa fonds
Institution: Archives of Manitoba
Collection Identifier: V84, V217
Title: Town of Neepwa fonds
Extent: 5 film reels
Administrative History: Settlers came to the Neepawa region in the 1870s from Ontario and Britain. The town of Neepawa (an Aboriginal word meaning "plenty") was incorporated in 1883, with J.J. Hamilton as the first mayor. In the same year, the North Western Railway reached the district and, in 1902, the Canadian National line was also built through the town. Neepawa has served as a grain outlet and commercial centre for farms in the surrounding area. Other industries have included: salt production, a creamery, wood and marble works.
Digitized Material: The digitized material from the Town of Neepawa fonds consists of a film that depicts a fire at St. Mary's Church at Mountain Road, Manitoba. The Church is gutted by the fire and footage of the ruins after the fire is also shown.