FSS Merger with CHS

Frequently Asked Questions
for Students:

Family Social Sciences
merger with
Community Health Sciences

As part of the University of Manitoba’s Academic Structure Initiative (ASI), the Department of Family Social Sciences, Faculty of Human Ecology and the Department of Community Health Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences recommended the merger of their departments. Their proposal was approved by Senate, in principle, and recommended to the Board of Governors and approved on June 24, 2014.

By bringing together the Departments of Family Social Sciences and Community Health Sciences, the University of Manitoba strengthens its leadership role in teaching, research and outreach in family and population health research and education. The joining of these two departments will strengthen and enhance their respective missions, creating an innovative and unique emphasis on family and population health.

The process to merge the two departments has begun with the goal to have all academic programming fall under the expanded Department of Community Health Sciences effective the Fall 2015 academic term. Below are some frequently asked questions that can help guide students through the transition period.

Below are questions and answers relevant to you as either an undergraduate or a graduate student. The list will be updated as needed.


Graduate Students
M.Sc. in Family Social Sciences
M.Sc., MPH, Ph.D., Dip.P.H. in Community Health Sciences

 How does the merger impact my graduate degree?
You will receive the same degree designation (e.g. Master of Science) upon graduation.

Will my required courses or program requirements change?
No. There will be no changes to program requirements or degree structure. For current students and those students admitted in the 2014-2015 academic year, you will follow your program of admission – either Family Social Sciences or Community Health Sciences. For future students, the coming together of these two programs will create future opportunities for collaboration. As such, the Graduate Committees in Family Social Sciences and Community Health Sciences are currently exploring ways in which these two programs can be integrated. Any proposed changes to academic programs will follow the standard institutional processes already in place and will require the appropriate Senate and/or Board approvals.

Where can I go for advising/registration assistance?
Family Social Science students will continue to be advised by the staff in Room 205, Human Ecology Building. Please contact Pamela Gordon at 204-474-8137 or Pamela.Gordon@umanitoba.ca if you have any questions regarding your program. Community Health Sciences students should continue to contact the graduate assistant in Community Health Sciences.

Where will my classes be held?
At this time, research and teaching laboratories, teaching space, student meeting and support spaces currently occupied will be available to either Family Social Sciences or Community Health Sciences graduate students. Any future changes would follow normal University space allocation processes. 

What is the impact on my fees?
Students are assessed program-based fees and this will remain unchanged.

Pamela Gordon
Graduate Program Assistant
Department of Community Health Sciences
Phone 204.474.8137 (Fort Garry)
Phone 204.789.3655 (Bannatyne)

Email: pamela.gordon@umanitoba.ca
205 Human Ecology Bldg (Fort Garry)
S111 Medical Services Bldg (Bannatyne)