The University of Manitoba, Faculty of Architecture is the first faculty in Canada to offer four post-graduate, built-environment degree programs.
All based on a comprehensive Environmental Design undergraduate program.
The Faculty of Architecture also offers a Ph.D. Program. The Ph.D. in Design and Planning in the Faculty of Architecture focuses on research in the following areas: Planning and Design Theory; and Sustainable Planning and Design; Planning and Design Education; Planning and Design Practice; Design and Planning Technologies.
Through its focus upon design excellence, teaching and research, the Faculty demonstrates its commitment to improving the quality of the built environment and associated ecological, economic, physical and social well-being of the global community.
VISION, MISSION AND TENETS
(Approved Faculty Council December 16, 2004)
The Faculty of Architecture aspires to offer widely recognised and highly valued design and planning undergraduate and graduate programs that promote a respectful, collegial, interdisciplinary culture of teaching, scholarship and service within the University and beyond.
We aspire to provide exceptional teaching, scholarship and community service in architecture, city planning, environmental design, interior design, landscape architecture and emerging areas of design education and practice.
- The Faculty believes the disciplines and programs represented in the Faculty of Architecture are autonomous, complementary, equal and specific.
- The Faculty supports innovation and rigour in knowledge creation and creative problem solving in an intellectually and culturally diverse environment.
- The Faculty promotes collegiality, creativity, and interdisciplinarity in advancing the planning, design and management of the built and natural environments.
- The Faculty encourages advancement and improvement in the culture of planning and design through collaboration internally and externally.
- The Faculty champions an evolving, vibrant curriculum that is regularly evaluated and widely discussed.
- The Faculty offers locally, nationally and globally recognised programs which attract high quality students, expertise and funding.
- The Faculty promotes freedom of expression, open discourse and accountability among its members.
- The Faculty affirms an equitable assignment of teaching, scholarship and service that respects individual skills, interests and collective needs.
- The Faculty encourages and recognises contributions from partnerships with the professions and community in the development and dissemination of knowledge.
- The Faculty fosters the development of an ethical and professional environment.