- consultations regarding process/practices related to student policies
- consultations regarding the management and process involving an individual student
- provide information regarding informal resolution and formal appeals processes
- offer training developed in partnership with Office of Legal Counsel on ‘Fair investigation’ for disciplinary authorities and Fair Hearings’ training for academic and discipline committee chairs and members.
- customized workshops on a variety of student related topics
- share resources on student issues on topics including academic integrity, student conduct, procedural fairness and rights and responsibilities
- maintain the Academic Integrity site which includes information and resources for academic administrators and faculty
- provide referrals to campus services and supports
Please refer a student to our office if you feel they need assistance with any of the areas listed below:
- understanding their rights and responsibilities;
- information on policies, rules and related procedures;
- ensuring fair treatment throughout an academic or discipline process;
- resolving conflicts or complaints;
- responding to discipline allegations and academic decisions; and
- preparation for, and attendance at, meetings or hearings.
Student Advocacy works on an appointment basis (in person appointments or phone appointments available). Please note that wait times for an appointment can range from 2 to 3 weeks depending on the time of year.
U of M Student-Related Policies
Complaint Resolution Process for Undergraduate & Graduate Students
Flow Chart: Appeals Procedures for Students
Complaint Handling Guide for Students, Faculty, & Administrators
Academic integrity site
Options for Educational Disciplinary Outcomes