Photo ID

Photo Identification Cards | ID Cards for New Students
ID Cards for Returning Students | ID Centre Location & Hours | Pop-Up ID Centre
Replacement Cards | ID Cards & Copy Services | ID Cards & Meal Plans

Photo Identification Cards

Your student photo identification (Student ID Card) card is your access key to all student services.

You should carry your student ID card with you at all times. It is issued when you first attend and is permanent throughout your stay at the University of Manitoba.

The student ID Card is your library card. You will also be asked to show it when you sit for examinations, and you will need it if you pay the athletic facility use fee or purchase a food service meal plan and when you use your Upass.

ID Cards for New Students

If you are a new student for the Fall session you can obtain your student ID starting May 1.

If you are a new student for the Winter session you can obtain your student ID starting November 5.

You are encouraged to obtain your card during the summer when waiting times are shorter. A fee payment receipt to indicate that you have registered is not required. Current photo identification is required to receive your student ID card. Below is the following list that outlines the type of identification we accept:

Metis Card
First Nation Card
Driver’s License
Gun Handler card
Permanent Resident Card
Canadian Citizenship Card

ID Cards for Returning Students

The student ID Card you received the first time you registered is valid for your use as long as you are a student. Your registration is checked by computer when your card is passed through an ID Card reader, so it is not necessary to renew or reactivate your ID card each year.

ID Centre Location and Hours

Fort Garry Campus

There are two ID Centres on the Fort Garry Campus - locations and operating hours are:

Registrar's Office
400 University Centre
Monday to Friday: 8:30 am to 4:15 pm

Extended Education Student & Instructor Services

185 Extended Education Complex Monday to Friday: 8:30 am to 4:15 pm


Bannatyne Campus ID Centre  

John MacLean Health Sciences Library located in the Brodie Centre; their hours of operation are:**

Photo ID Fall/Winter Term Hours at Neil John MacLean Library
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Monday to Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

**During holidays the library may be closed or will have shortened hours, the ID centre will close one hour before the Library's scheduled closing time. Please see the Neil John MacLean Health Sciences Library website for holiday hours and closures.

Distance & Online Education, Evening & Part-Time Students

If you are a distance & online education, evening or part-time student you will also need a student ID card.

To obtain your card, visit an ID Centre during the hours listed above. Or, if you are unable to access one of these locations during available times you can complete this form:

ID Card Request Form (PDF)

Send the form along with a picture to the Registrar's Office; your card will be mailed to the address that you indicate on the form.

Pop-Up ID Centre

Date: August 26 to September 6, 2019

Time: M-F, 9am to 4pm.

Location: MPR 224 - University Centre

What to bring:
For Domestic students – one piece of Government Issued photo identification.
For International students – Passport and study permit.

Replacement Cards

If your student ID card is lost or stolen, or you change your name, you should get a new ID card at one of the locations noted above. Please complete this form:

Replacement ID Card Request Form (PDF)

There is a $22.50 fee for a replacement card regardless of the reason for loss, except in cases where loss was reported to the Winnipeg police and a police report number is provided to the ID Centre. Cards that have been damaged as a result of a defect in materials will be replaced free of charge.

ID Card & Photo Copy Service

The magnetic coding on your student ID card can be "loaded" with a sum of money so that you can use the card at library photocopying machines or at library microform machines.

Your student ID card can be encoded with a cash amount at the cash card manager units in the Elizabeth Dafoe Library, the Albert D. Cohen Management Library, the D.S. Woods Education Library, the Sciences and Technology Library, and the Neil John Maclean Health Sciences Library.

ID Card & Meal Plans

Many U of M students and staff have meal plans; to use your meal plan, your ID Card will be swiped when making food purchases.

If you are experiencing any problems using your ID Card for this purpose, please contact the Meal Plan Coordinator at 204-474-7048, or visit 207 Pembina Hall.

back to top

Updated August 30, 2019