Do you have a passion for Health and Wellness? Do you want experience and training in health promotion and prevention? Are you interested in an opportunity to be involved in the health and wellbeing of your peers?
Then Healthy U at the University of Manitoba is looking for YOU!
Health and Wellness encourages applicants to become Healthy U Volunteers for the 2017 - 2018 academic year!
What is a Healthy U?
The Healthy U volunteer program is an opportunity for students to become health leaders on campus and gain hands on experience in the field of health promotion and prevention. A Healthy U volunteer is a highly trained individual who is committed to educating their peers and raising awareness on a variety of health and wellness topics related to mental health and sexual health that may affect students during their time at university and beyond.
Students will be placed in a specialized mental health or sexual health team according to interest area and availability.
What Do Healthy U Volunteers Do?
- Provide one-on-one mental health or sexual health education through office hours
- Facilitate workshop/presentations to the campus community
- Plan, implement and deliver health information through outreach activities and events (displays, and tabling);
- Research, plan and develop outreach materials such as bookmarks, posters, pamphlets and more.
What are the Benefits of Being Part of Healthy U Volunteers?
- Become certified as a Certified Peer Educator (CPE) through the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA). Students will receive membership, certification and resume attachment.
- Gain valuable skills, transferable to the workforce in:
- Organization, planning & development, public speaking, group facilitation, time management, health education, teamwork, communication & interpersonal skills.
- Gain experience functioning in the field of health and wellness.
- Contribute to the betterment of the health and wellness of the entire campus community.
- Gain a sense of community and belonging by being part of a group of committed, passionate individuals.
- Be given the opportunity to receive certification in Mental Health First Aid, free-of-charge.
- Receive health and wellness training from professionals in the field.
- Receive University of Manitoba co-curricular recognition (CCR)
Who We Are Looking For:
- Someone who is:
- committed and caring
- disciplined and driven
- a team-player
- Someone who demonstrates:
- a strong interest in health and wellness.
- positive energy
- strong communication skills
- a willingness to do public speaking and approach students to speak with them
- a willingness to be a positive role model
- a familiarity with social media and/or basic computer skills
Requirements for the role:
- Minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 at time of application
- Attend and complete mandatory training and team building on August 30th & 31st from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and September 5th and 6th from 9:00 am -5:00 pm
- Be available each Friday in September from 2:30 – 4:30 pm for additional topic related training
- Be available each Friday during the academic year from 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm for Healthy U team meetings
- Be committed to the program for an average of 3.5-6 hours per week for the fall and winter terms (includes office hours, team meetings, planning, outreach)
- Minimum G.P.A. of 3.0
- Commitment to the program for both terms.