The Rhodes Scholarship is a postgraduate award supporting exceptional students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. The program was established in 1903 and first awarded in Canada in 1904. To date, the University of Manitoba has had the privilege of cultivating 99 Rhodes Scholars.
Up to 11 Rhodes Scholarships are awarded annually in Canada, including three in the Prairie Region of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The Scholarship is tenable for studies at the University of Oxford in England for two or three years, beginning each year in October. Selection is made by committee after personal interviews and on the basis of the candidate’s record.
For the 2022 Scholarship (2021 competition), it is anticipated that the following Eligibility Criteria will apply:
1. Nationality/citizenship: Candidate must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (students who are attending a Canadian university on a student visa are not eligible to apply).
2. Education/residency: Be domiciled in Canada.
3. Age: Upon October 1, 2021, the candidate must meet either of the following criteria:
i. Must be at least 18 and have not reached their 24th birthday (i.e. candidate must have been born after October 1, 1997 and on or before October 1, 2003).
OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
ii. Must have not reached their 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after October 1, 1994) AND they have met or will meet the requirements for completion of their first degree on or after 1 October 2020;
4. Academic achievement: Candidate must have completed (or will have completed by June / July 2022) an undergraduate degree to a sufficiently high standard to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford.
5. If unsuccessful in your first application to the Rhodes Scholarships, you may subsequently re-apply only once more (and this must be in the same constituency), subject to meeting the eligibility criteria.
The Rhodes Trust focuses on four criteria that are used in the selection of Scholars:
In short, Rhodes Scholarship selection committees seek young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future.
The 2021 Rhodes Scholarship guidelines are anticipated to be released in May 2021. Last year's guidelines are available here: https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/apply/canada.
Please visit the Rhodes Trust website for further information: https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/
How to apply through the University of Manitoba: Beginning in 2017, our institution has implemented an internal selection process to select a limited number of applicants that will be officially endorsed by the University of Manitoba to apply for a Rhodes Scholarships.
Further information regarding the requirements of our institution's internal selection process will be available in May 2021.
Please contact Mr. Brent Deere, Research Awards Administrator (email@example.com) for inquiries.
Revised March 11, 2021