Information for Saudi Students at the University of Manitoba

Key Contacts
Advising and Counselling
Academic Matters and Documents
Immigration Questions
Other Contact Information

We understand that many of you have been notified by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia that educational and scholarship programs in Canada have been suspended and that some of you may have received a directive to leave Canada. On Aug. 28, 2018, we received information indicating medical trainees in the PGME program are able to stay in Canada. On October 4, 2018 we were advised that Graduate (Master’s and PhD) students in all academic disciplines who currently hold valid scholarships and whose time-limit for completion of their particular program has not yet expired; and Undergraduate scholarship students in the final year of their Bachelor Programs are eligible to return. We strongly recommend that those planning to return do so in Winter Term 2019.

During this time of potential stress and uncertainty, all students are encouraged to make use of the many accessible resources and supports. Please explain that you are a Saudi student when you contact these offices; we are aware of the situation and will be able to help you.

We value the contribution of our Saudi students and are continuing to work with the Government of Canada, and universities across the country, to ensure a coordinated response to this situation.

Key  Contacts:

Advising and Counselling:

International student advisors in the International Centre and counsellors in the Student Counselling Centre are available for you to talk to; their services are confidential and they are happy to assist you. These services are available on both Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses.
International student advisors can provide you with advice on practical things to consider when leaving Canada, such as how to terminate a lease and close a bank account. They can also provide guidance on university policies and resources, and help you find information on immigration questions.

You can book an appointment with an international student advisor by calling 204-474-8502.
The International Centre is located at 541 University Centre.

You can book an appointment with a counsellor at the Student Counselling Centre by calling 204-474-8592. The Student Counselling Centre is located at 474 University Centre.

Academic Matters and Documents:

If you require documents such as transcripts or other proof of academic standing, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 204-474-9892 or by email from your umanitoba account to The Registrar’s Office is located at 400 University Centre.

We recommend that you contact your graduate advisor, or an academic advisor in your faculty or program of study, to discuss where you are in your current degree or program. They can also give you information on how to transfer credits to another educational institution outside of Canada, if you wish to do so.

Please reconcile any fees owing on your account, and return any books to the library, so there are no issues with transferring credits.

Please also remember to update your contact information in Aurora so we have your forwarding address:

Step 1: Login to Aurora Student
Step 2: Select 'Personal Information'
Step 3: Select 'Update Addresses and Phones'
Step 4: Select the address that you wish to update, enter the new data and submit changes. Make sure to include the dates for which it is valid; if you are not sure when it will expire, do not enter an 'until' date.

If you have difficulty when trying to update addresses, emails and phone numbers using Aurora, please contact the Registrar's Office for assistance.

Immigration Questions:

You may have questions about your current immigration status and the validity of your study or work permit. We currently do not know of any changes made by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), however, we encourage you to directly contact IRCC if you have any questions.

Other Contact Information:

If you have questions about the current situation, you can also contact the Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau in Canada at 613-238-5555 or by email at