Smiling woman.

On this page

Support from the Government of Canada
New benefits and increased credit payments coming soon to help make life more affordable.

Get a copy

Download a PDF

Get your benefits is available in English and French. Download a PDF below.

Order paper copies

Copies of Get Your Benefits! are available free of charge.

Government agencies/departments - contact Ministry of Health, Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living.

Other organizations or individuals - email or call 204-789-3657.

Request a Word document

Many Manitoba resources are included in the Get Your Benefits booklet, but we also recognize the importance of keeping the guide brief and easy to use. Rural communities – who are most knowledgeable about the resources in their area – are very welcome to adapt the booklet to meet the needs of their communities. To facilitate this process, please contact our office to obtain a copy of the original Word file.

Get your benefits!

You should file a tax return each year, even if you make no money. Filing your taxes allows you to access government benefits that you cannot receive otherwise.

Federal benefits are the same for First Nations individuals, whether you live on or off reserve. However, you must still file a tax return to receive them even if you have no income.

Please note that different rules apply to provincial tax credits.

See the difference filing taxes can make!

Example 1 - Single parent

Two children ages 2 and 4. Living in private rental market. Employed part time.

Annual employment income $15,000
GST refundable credit ($221.50 paid quarterly) $886.00
Canada Child Benefits ($1106.50 paid monthly) $13,278.00
Canada Workers Benefit (with refund OR part paid quarterly) $1,922.00
MB Rent Assist Benefits ($487.00 paid monthly) $5,844.00
MB Child Benefit ($70.00 paid monthly) $840.00
MB Personal Tax Credit (refund upon tax filing) $266.00
Climate Action Incentive (refund upon tax filing) $297
Total additional benefits $23,333.00
TOTAL ANNUAL INCOME ($15,000 + $23,333) $38,333.00
(using 2019 figures with 2018 income thresholds)

Example 2 - Widowed senior

Aged 60, disabled. Living in private rental market. Employed part time.
Never remarried or in common-law relationship since death of spouse.

Annual income (CPP Survivor Pension $3,000 and part-time job $4,800) $7,800
Allowance for the survivor ($1,074.92 per month) $12,899.04
GST Refundable Credit (paid quarterly as $110.75) $443.00
Canada Workers Benefit $285.09
Manitoba Climate Action Incentive (refund upon tax filing) $170.00
Manitoba Rent Assist $1,026.36
Manitoba Personal Tax Credit (refund upon tax filing) $101.01
Manitoba STAT 55+ (school tax rebate for tenants 55+) $63.00
Total additional benefits $14,987.50
TOTAL ANNUAL INCOME ($7,800 + $14,987.50) $22,787.50
(using 2019 figures with 2018 income thresholds)

Notes for example 2:

For the survivor allowance, the first $3,500 of employment earnings excluded in the calculations for OAS supplement programs. Increases to $5,000 in 2020.

The Canada Workers Benefit includes disability supplement. Benefit amount can be paid as a 50% advance paid quarterly and the remaining 50% paid with tax refund.

Manitoba Rent Assist amount per online estimator – calculated inclusive of Allowance for Survivor. Amounts could be higher due to benefits for consumers with OAS income calculated based on a 'rolled back' income level.

Get your identification

A first step to accessing government benefits and services is to make sure you have the necessary identification (ID).

Birth certificates

Birth Certificate (if born in Canada) or Permanent Resident Card/Citizenship Certificate (if born outside Canada) is considered primary identification.

How does having a birth certificate help?

You may need a birth certificate when opening a bank account, registering children for school and when applying for benefits.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada, or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN)  to receive benefits and services from government programs and to work in Canada. It is free to apply for a SIN.

Get additional identification

Once you have your birth certificate, you can apply for other types of ID such as:

Help getting your ID

SEED and Citizen's Bridge help people living on a low income to obtain ID and open bank accounts. They can also help you apply for eligible benefits.

SEED’s Access to Benefits program can also help you get your ID, apply for benefits, and file your tax returns. Call 204-927-9945  in Winnipeg or email Space is limited.

Citizens' Bridge helps people living on a low income to:

  • Get the ID you need to access government benefits and programs
  • Safely store your identification
  • Open a bank account
  • Get a learner's/driver's licence
  • Learn employment and financial skills

To access Citizen's Bridge:

  1. Get a referral – visit Facebook and locate a Community Referral Partners (under General Information).
  2. Book an appointment with Citizens' Bridge – call 204-691-9719  or visit 607 Selkirk Avenue. For Outreach and ID Clinics call 204-691-9720.

File your taxes

Help with your taxes

The Community Financial Helpline can answer your questions about tax filing, but they also provide assistance with:

  • benefits and credits such as the Canada Child Benefit
  • debt management and credit counselling
  • federal COVID-19 recovery benefits
  • income supports such as EIA
  • obtaining identification
  • questions about tax filing

Call or text 431-813-4357 (431-813-HELP) or toll-free 1-855-955-4234 (1-855-955-4CFH).

Free tax clinics

Filing your taxes doesn't have to be difficult or expensive. Follow the links below to discover ways to access free tax services.

Virtual clinics

Community Financial Counselling Services: CRA-approved free virtual tax clinic in Manitoba.

Canada Revenue Agency: Free virtual tax clinics

Where to find a free tax clinic?

2021 list of free tax clinics in Winnipeg - compiled by Manitoba Association of Newcomer Serving Organizations (MANSO)

Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) - is a collaboration between the Canada Revenue Agency and community organizations to offer free income tax preparation to individuals with low to modest income and a simple tax situation.

For more information, and to find a free tax clinic in your area, go to or call the CRA general inquiries line at 1-800-959-8281. During the tax season (February-April) call the CFCS CVITP program at 204-989-1912.

Additional free tax clinics and other tax filing information can be found at:

File your taxes online

Canada Revenue Agency offers several online options for filing at E-Services for Individuals.

The Netfile option for filing directly with CRA includes a list of free tax software products.

Tax credits

Federal income tax credits

GST credit - a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals/families with low and modest incomes to offset all or part of the GST or HST they pay.

Canada Caregiver Credit - Non-refundable tax credit that may be available if you support a spouse or common-law partner or a dependent with a physical or mental impairment.

Climate Action Incentive - a refundable tax credit that can be claimed by one person per family.

Canada Workers Benefit - a refundable tax credit that provides tax relief for eligible low income individuals and families who are in the workforce. This was previously known as the Working Income Tax Benefit.

Canada Child Benefit (CCB) - a tax-free monthly payment to help support your children under age 18. To get the CCB, you have to file your income tax return every year, even if you did not have income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to file a return every year.

Apply online at Canada Child Benefit or call 1-800-387-1193.

You can also complete Form RC66 and send it to: the Winnipeg Tax Centre, PO Box 14001, Station Main, Winnipeg, MB R3C 3M3.

Let Canada Revenue Agency know if your marital status changes by applying online or by calling 1-800-387-1193. This will make sure your CCB and GST benefits are correctly calculated based on your new situation.

Manitoba income tax credits

Personal Tax Credit - a credit for low-income Manitobans and their dependents (Form MB479).

Education Property Tax Credit - for those who pay rent or property taxes in Manitoba. Seniors may qualify for additional amounts.

Manitoba Seniors School Tax Rebate

Primary Caregiver Tax Credit - for people who provide ongoing voluntary care and support to family members, friends, or neighbours who require help in their home.

For more information

Manitoba Tax Assistance Office - informs and assists residents on the Manitoba income tax and tax credit programs. Call 204-948-2115 in Winnipeg or toll-free 1-800-782-0771 outside Winnipeg.

Climate Action Incentive

The Climate Action Incentive payment is for anyone who resided in Canada for the past year regardless of their income.

Climate action incentive payments in Manitoba will be calculated as follows for tax year 2020:

  • $360 for a single adult or the first adult in a couple.
  • $180 for the second adult in a couple. Single parents will receive this amount for their first child.
  • $90 for each child in the family (starting with the second child for single parents).

People will receive this payment as a tax refund (if they owe on their taxes it will be used to reduce the amount they owe) - up to $486 for a family of four living in Manitoba plus a 10% supplement for residents of small and rural communities.

Get your benefits and credits, such as the Canada Child Benefit, Disability Tax Credit, GST, and Working Income Tax Benefit.

Financial counselling and literacy

Canada Money and Finances - Once you have your benefit return in hand, it's important to effectively manage your money. This Government of Canada resource includes information about your financial rights and responsibilities, budgeting, and saving.

Chartered Professional Accountants Manitoba can help you find a CPA to help with your personal financial affairs.

Community Financial Counselling Services (CFCS) – a free, non-profit, United Way and Government of Manitoba funded agency providing counselling, education, and options for accessing resources, managing income, debt, and navigating the financial systems that affect your daily life. Call 1-888-573-2383.

Community Unemployed Help Centre - provides information and help with Employment Insurance (EI) or Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) problems. Call 204-942-6556 in Winnipeg (toll free 1-866-942-6556) or email

CLB Champions' Network - Education Savings Incentives Resource Page! will be an interactive space designed to enable communication and information sharing within the Canada Learning Bond (CLB) Champions' Network and with other community partners and stakeholders whose members play important roles in promoting the benefits of early savings for a child’s post-secondary education in RESP, particularly the Canada Learning Bond. If you are interested in becoming a CLB Champion or have questions about the program please contact the Canada Education Savings Program (CESP).

  • Podcasts from Proliteracy - planning for postsecondary education which includes information on registered education savings plans (RESP), and the education savings incentives;
  • The Canada Learning Bond brochures in 6 Indigenous languages - available at Education Savings Publications (;
  • “Just the facts” - a series of financial topics to help Canadians learn the basics of managing their money, from Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA). This includes fact sheets on RESPs and education savings incentives such as the Canada Learning Bond and the Canada Education Savings Grant.

Community Financial Helpline is a free, non-profit, United Way and Government of Manitoba funded agency providing counselling, education and options for accessing resources, managing income, debt and navigating the financial systems that affect your daily life. Call 1-888-573-2383 for more information.

Community Unemployed Help Centre - provides information and help with Employment Insurance (EI) or Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) problems. Call 204-942-6556 in Winnipeg (toll free 1-866-942-6556) or email

Credit Counselling - listing of credit counselling services in Manitoba. Click on financial and then credit counselling.

Credit Counselling - a 211 Manitoba listing of credit counselling services in Manitoba. Manitobans can now also call 211 for information on services

Financial Consumer Agency of Canada - Receiving a large amount of money?

Financial Literacy Program

Manitoba Financial Literacy Resource - provides an inventory of existing financial literacy information.

Manitoba Financial Services Agency - Provides education programs about investing basics, child savings, women’s programs, real estate, insurance and other information.

Manitoba Government’s Financial Literacy Resource Website

Once you have your benefit return in hand, it’s important to effectively manage your money. For information about your financial rights and responsibilities, budgeting, and saving, check out Government of Canada resources.

Money Smart Manitoba - provides education programs about investing basics, child savings, women's programs, real estate, insurance and other information.

Neighbourhood Financial Health Index (NFHI) - the first of its kind in Canada, this index enables users to see how well individual neighbourhoods are doing when it comes to household financial health.  

Online Personal Budgeting Webinars - and the Credit Counselling Society hosts free Online Money Management, Personal Budgeting and Credit Education Courses, Workshops & Webinars. Attend live, interactive online budgeting workshops for free from the convenience of your home computer. See Webinar Schedule.

Prosper Canada Learning Hub - a variety of resources to support practitioners, policy-makers, funders, and advocates working to advance the field of financial empowerment. Prosper Canada has collected and curated training materials, research reports, webinars and other resources oriented towards programs and research that build and support financial well-being.

SEED Winnipeg's Access to Benefits (A to B) program helps individuals living on a low income to:

  • Get information about government benefits and apply for benefits
  • Open an RESP and get money for children’s education
  • Get the ID needed to access benefits
  • Open bank accounts and file income tax returns

To book an appointment, call 204-927-9945 in Winnipeg or email

Additional resources

Employment and income assistance

Employment & Income Assistance (EIA) program - provides financial help to Manitobans who have no other way to provide for their basic needs. For people able to work, EIA can help you get employment by providing supports. Apply for EIA by calling 204-948-4000 in Winnipeg or 1-855-944-8111 outside Winnipeg. EIA provides a range of benefits to help meet basic assistance needs (food, clothing, household needs).

Rent Assist - a monthly shelter-related financial benefit to help low-income Manitobans who pay rent in the private market. It is available to households on EIA who have shelter costs and to low-income Manitobans renting in the private market who are not on EIA.

  • For those receiving EIA - If living in unsubsidized housing, the Rent Assist benefit is automatically included with the monthly EIA payments. Eligibility is assessed when you apply for EIA and is based on the number of family members, and whether utility costs (e.g., heat, electricity, water) are included in the rent.
  • For those not receiving EIA (PDF) - If living in eligible private rental or board and room spaces, a monthly benefit may be available and will vary depending on the annual income of each adult (in the household). Apply online for non-EIA Rent Assist or call Provincial Services at 204-948-7368 in Winnipeg or toll-free 1-877-587-6224 outside Winnipeg to have an application form mailed to you.

Need Help with EIA?

Fair Practices Office - provides confidential and impartial assistance to Manitobans applying for or receiving services from Department of Families' programs who feel they have not been treated fairly - including concerns with the Employment and Income Assistance program. This office investigates complaints, mediates disputes and makes recommendations on individual cases to program staff based on investigation outcomes.

Social Service Appeal Board (SSAB) - provides a formal and independent appeal process for decisions about EIA eligibility and benefits. SSAB reviews appeals related to eligibility for the Employability Assistance for People with Disabilities Program, and other programs offered by Manitoba Families.

Employment and training services

Jobs on Market in Winnipeg and Jobs on 9th in Brandon - helps individuals who are applying for or receiving Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) to find a job. Staff provide quick support to participants to identify service needs, make referrals, and encourage progress throughout the job search. On-site services include resume development, identifying job leads, voicemail services, and direct marketing to employers. Programming is offered at two locations:

  • Winnipeg - at 128 Market Avenue from Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Call 204-948-JOBS (5627) or email
  • Brandon - at 157-340 9th Street from Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (closed from noon to 12:45 pm). To book an appointment, call 204-726-6220 or email

Manitoba Jobs and Skills Centres Training and Employment Services - offer a wide range of employment and training services through 13 Centres situated throughout Manitoba. Call 204-945-0575 (Winnipeg) or Toll-free 1-866-332-5077 or email

Winnipeg (bilingual services available)

  • Downtown Centre: 100-111 Lombard Ave.
  • South Centre: 1005 St. Mary’s Rd.

Rural Manitoba

  • Morden Centre (bilingual services available): 1-160 Stephen St.
  • Portage la Prairie Centre: 1016 Saskatchewan Ave. E.
  • Steinbach Centre (bilingual services available): 321 Main St.
  • Gimli Centre: 2nd Floor, 62-2nd Ave.
  • Selkirk Centre: 100-260 Superior Ave.
  • Dauphin Centre: 135A 2nd Ave. NE
  • Swan River Centre: 1431-1st St. N.
  • Brandon Centre (bilingual services available): 127-340 9th St.

Northern Manitoba

  • Thompson Centre: North Centre Mall, 118-3 Station Rd.
  • Flin Flon Centre: 143 Main St.
  • The Pas Centre: 305 4th St. W.

Employability Assistance for People with Disabilities - offers a wide range of employment services to assist adults with disabilities in preparing for, obtaining, and maintaining employment. Email, or call 204-945-0575 or Toll-Free 1-866-332-5077; TTY/TDD Relay Service 1-800-855-0511.

Manitoba Youth Job Centres - provide community-based summer employment referral services throughout rural and northern Manitoba. Local employers, as well as students and youth from 12 to 29, receive free assistance matching qualified job seekers with summer employment. Offices are open each year from mid-May to late-August.

STEP Services - is the official student employment referral service for the Government of Manitoba. Eligible post-secondary students can find full- and part-time jobs with government departments, agencies, and Crown corporations throughout the year across the province.

Free online resources - find jobs in:

Canada Benefits at Service Canada – offers you help getting back to work, temporary income support, and skills training. Canada benefits can help connect you with appropriate programs and services – truly a one-stop shop. Similarly, you will find information to help with your housing and health needs whether you are a newcomer to Canada, a person with a disability, or an Indigenous person. 

Manitoba Student Aid - is a government program that provides federal and provincial supplemental financial assistance in the form of loans, grants and bursaries to help pay for full-time and part-time post-secondary education costs. Call 204-945-6321, or visit 401-1181 Portage Ave. (Winnipeg) or 362-240 9th St. (Brandon), Monday to Friday 8:30a.m to 4:30 pm.

CdEM Employabilité – a program administered by the Economic Development Council for Manitoba Bilingual Municipalities (CDEM) that helps French-speaking clients develop employment skills to find and keep a job. They also offer a suite of programming for youth. Call 204-925-2320 or email

Children and families

Register a Manitoba birth - Vital Statistics Agency - a government program that provides for civil registration in Manitoba. You can complete registration forms at the time of birth in Manitoba or contact the Vital Statistics Agency for information on how to complete your child's birth registration. During registration of your child's birth, you can also apply for a social insurance number for your child and the Canada Child Benefit. Call 204-945-3701 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-866-949-9296.

Evidence of foundational identity (birth certificate) - can be obtained for your child born in Manitoba by submitting an application directly to the Vital Statistics Agency. Evidence of foundational identity is needed to establish your child's legal identity and to access other programs and benefits.

Maintenance Enforcement Program - is set up to monitor and enforce court orders and separation agreements requiring payment of maintenance support to ensure the well-being of children and other dependents. They provide information about involvement and responsibilities as a debtor or as a creditor. Call 204-945-7133 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-866-479-2717 or email

Manitoba Child Benefit Program – monthly financial assistance for low-income families who are NOT on EIA. Also provides help with some of the costs of children’s prescription eyeglasses. Apply online or call 204-948-7368 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-877-587-6224.

You or your children may be eligible for other benefits in addition to the monthly Canada Child Tax Benefit:

Healthy Baby – a two-part program that supports pregnant women, new parents, and their babies through:

  • The Manitoba Prenatal Benefit – a financial benefit that helps pregnant women buy healthy food. You must live in Manitoba and have a family income of less than $32,000 to qualify. Call 204-945-1301 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-888-848-0140.
  • Healthy Baby Community Support Programs – free drop-in groups for pregnant women/their partners/parents with babies under the age of one to get information and support for a healthy pregnancy and baby. Call 204-945-1301 in Winnipeg or toll-free at 1-888-848-0140.

Manitoba Early Learning and Child Care – for help in paying eligible day care costs for low-income parents. Apply online for the subsidy or call 204-945-8195 (in Winnipeg) or toll-free 1-877-587-6224 or email

Canada Education Savings - services and information for parents to help save for their child's education, including Canada Education Savings Grants, Canada Learning Bonds, and Registered Education Savings Plans.

Registered Education Savings Plan - The Government of Canada can help you save for your child's education after high school by putting money into a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP). Money saved in an RESP can be used to pay for expenses related to full-time or part-time studies in a trade school, CEGEP, college, university, or in an apprenticeship program. Opening an RESP is more than just building savings; studies indicate that an RESP can help strengthen a child's aspirations of pursuing and completing a higher education. There are many financial benefits of getting RESPs opened as early as possible. For example, the sooner the CLB begins to be deposited the more interest may be earned. Also, opening the RESP, even if only to deposit the “free” CLB dollars, makes it easier for parents to make contributions at any time if they choose. Visit Canada Education Savings or contact a financial organization of your choice that offers RESPs.

There are two education saving incentives linked to RESPs:

Canada Learning Bond (CLB) - is money for an eligible child born in 2004 or later. An initial $500 is deposited in an RESP, and an additional $100 for every year a child is eligible, depending on the family income, until the age of 15, to a maximum of $2,000. No personal contributions into the RESP are required.

Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) - The Government of Canada provides 20 cents on every dollar contributed to an RESP for an eligible child, up to a yearly maximum of $500. Depending on family income, a child may be eligible for an additional 10% or 20% on the first $500 put into an RESP every year.

Important: Children born after 2004 need a Social Insurance Number to access the CLB and/or Canada Education Savings Grant.

Contact Acorn to register for the Canada Learning Bond. Call toll free: 1-866-991-0025.

Community members from anywhere in Canada can call ACORN to find out about, and register for, the Canada Learning Bond. ACORN will take basic information from the applicant (using SmartSAVER's portal), and connect them with a bank of their choice to set up a meeting to complete the registration process.

Additional information about the Canada Education Savings Programs

To learn more about the Canada Education Savings Programs, follow the links below.

RESPs Made Easy - A Smartsaver video - describes the steps involved in starting up an RESP.

Also see the SmartSaver website for more on what RESPs offer, how to choose an RESP, and for help in applying online. 

RESP infographics poster from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) [English] [French

CESG and CLB - Saving for Education: A Little Goes a Long Way [English] [French] - from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)

CLB infographics poster - Save for Their Future: from ESDC 8-1/2" x 14" [English] [French] and 8-1/2" x 11" [English] [French]

Other - Social media [English and French] - Facebook, Twitter, and video links from ESDC providing additional information on setting up RESPs and Canada Learning Bonds.

Services and information for parents to help save for their child's education, including Canada Education Savings Grants, Canada Learning Bonds, and Registered Education Savings Plans.

First Book Canada - helps organizations provide low income children with brand new books and educational resources on an ongoing basis. Books are free to members and are delivered each spring (usually April) to an event in Winnipeg where members can go and pick up the books. The more individuals from your organization that register, the more books you can claim.

ManitobaParentZone - provides parents with resources and information reflecting best practices in health and child/adolescent development. Parents can access helpful tip sheets, ask questions using the "Ask an Expert" feature and learn more about parenting programs and resources available to them.

Futures Forward - a coordinated community-led initiative providing services and resources that address the needs of current and former Youth in Care, ages 15 to 29, including emotional wellbeing, mentorship, and supports for mental health, housing, financial literacy, education, training, and employment. Call 1-888-395-2135.

StressHacks - has information for youth and families to explain stress and help manage it.

Resource Assistance for Youth (RaY) - a non-profit street-level agency working with street-entrenched and homeless youth up to the age of 29. RaY is non-judgmental and non-partisan, employing a harm reduction approach. Call 204-783-5617 or visit 125 Sherbrook Street or email

Pluri-elles - is a non-profit providing services and supports to Manitobans in French, including job search, skills development, financial literacy and budgeting, counselling, and healthy development of children and youth. Call 204-233-1735 or Toll-Free 1-800-207-5874 or email

Macdonald Youth Services - Family Navigator Program helps guide families through the numerous therapeutic services available to youth aged 13 to 24 in their brochure and poster. Services for young persons, parents, and caregivers seeking support.

Persons living with disabilities

If you are not able to earn income because of health issues or a disability, there are some provincial government programs that might help you.

Note: For alternate formats of Canada Revenue Agency forms and publications (Braille, large print, electronic text, or MP3), complete an order form online or call 1-800-959-8281.

Community Living disABILITY Services - provides a range of support services for adults with an intellectual disability. The  program supports eligible adults to live safe, inclusive lives in the community.

Children's disABILITY Services - supports families who are raising a child/children with developmental or physical disabilities. See Manitoba Regional Offices to find a location near you.

Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) – Disability Benefits - Persons with disabilities receive additional  EIA benefits, including the Income Assistance for Persons with  Disabilities (IAPD). If prescribed by a health practitioner, persons receiving income assistance may be eligible for:

  • Special diets due to medical problems
  • Coverage for transportation or phone costs due to medical needs
  • Additional health-related/medical supplies/equipment and not covered under any other program

More information at Employment and Income Assistance - Disability and Employability Assistance for Persons with Disabilities (EAPD)

Children's Therapy Initiative (CTI) - coordinates audiology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, and speech-language pathology services for children across Manitoba. Referrals for therapy services may be made by parents, caregivers, doctors, or other clinicians to the regional central intake for CTI.

Specialized Services for Children & Youth (SCCY) - an initiative focused on the integration, coordination, and, where possible, co-location of community-based services for Manitoba children and youth with disabilities and special needs. Call 204-452-4311.

Information for Manitobans with Disabilities - provides user-friendly information about services available for people with disabilities in Manitoba, answering the most commonly asked questions raised by individuals with disabilities, their families, caregivers, and service providers.

Manitoba Possible (formerly Society for Manitobans with Disabilities) - provides programs and services to meet the needs of children, youth, and adults with disabilities. Call 204-975-3010 in Winnipeg or toll-free at 1-866-282-8041 outside Winnipeg. TTY 204-975-3083. Email

Learning Disabilities Association of Manitoba (LDAM) - provides support, advocacy and programming for individuals impacted by learning disabilities. Call 204-774-1821 or email

Additional federal benefits that you might qualify for are listed below, or call 1-800-387-1193 for more information.

  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) –Disability Benefits - If you contributed to the CPP you may be eligible for CPP disability benefits. Apply online or call 1-800-277-9914 or visit a Service Canada centre to obtain a paper copy of the application form.
  • Disability Tax Credit – a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities or their supporting persons to reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay. Canada Revenue Agency must approve the credit before you can make a claim
  • Child Disability Benefit - a tax-free benefit for families who care for a child under age 18 who is eligible for the Disability Tax Credit.
  • Canada Workers Benefit Disability Supplement (previously Working Income Tax Benefit) – an additional refundable amount tops up the Canada Workers Benefit if you are also eligible for the Disability Tax Credit.
  • Refundable Medical Expense Supplement – a refundable credit  that can be claimed on the tax return of working individuals with low incomes and high medical expenses.
  • Registered Disability Savings Plan – a program that allows you to save for the future without  losing any of your EIA-D benefits. The government  will match your savings up to 300%.  Even if you have a low income and cannot put money in your plan, the government  may give you up to $1,000 each year.
    Options for using the Registered Disability Savings Plan are described more fully at Canada Disability Savings Grant and Canada Disability Savings Bond. You do not need to make contributions to get the bond, but you do need to make contributions to qualify for the grant.

Plan Institute is a national nonprofit that empowers and supports people with disabilities and their families. They provide educational material, tools & resources, individualized support, and assist those living with a disability to access benefits they may be entitled to receive. Call their toll-free national Disability Planning Helpline 1-844-311-7526 or email

Indigenous peoples resources

One-pager resource sheet for Indigenous families - general information on obtaining ID, filing taxes, income assistance, health care, housing, education/training, and Covid-19 resources.

Indigenous Services Canada – A federal government department providing information and services to Indigenous people in the Manitoba Region. You can also find information about Indigenous communities, tribal councils, and active political organizations across Manitoba. Call toll-free 1-800-567-9604 or email:

Non-Insured Health Program – For First Nations and Inuit people, this program through the federal government pays for drugs, dental services, and other health benefits not otherwise covered under provincial programs.

Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs/WRHA– Patient Advocate Unit

Eagle Urban Transition Centre (EUTC) – A service organization mandated by the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs and serving as a central location for First Nations clients seeking transitional support while living in and/or relocating to Winnipeg. EUTC assists First Nation children and adults with disabilities by helping access services and resources, including Jordan's Principle, to meet their needs and protect their rights. Call 204-954-3050.

Jordan’s Principle Child First Initiative – Jordan’s Principle makes sure all First Nation children living in Canada can access the products, services and supports they need, when they need them. Funding can help with a wide range of health, social and educational needs. Families living in First Nations communities can access Jordan’s Principle through their local Jordan’s Principle case managers. In Winnipeg Eagle Urban Transition Centre (EUTC) can help families access Jordan’s Principle. For more information call 1-855-572-4453, TTY 1-866-553-0554. 

Centre for Aboriginal Human Resource Development Inc. (CAHRD) – A non-profit, human resource development organization that delivers literacy, education, training, and employment services to the urban Aboriginal population of Winnipeg. Call 204-989-7110.

Urban Circle Training Centre (UCTC) - provides culturally appropriate education and training for First Nations, Metis, and Inuit women and men in Winnipeg. The organization offers adult learning services and several certificate programs. For more information, call 204-589-4433.

Ka Ni Kanichihk - offers programs and services that focus on wholeness and wellness, and that build on the strengths and resilience of Indigenous peoples. To learn more, call 204 953-5820 or email

Guide to Winnipeg for Indigenous Manitobans 2019 [pdf]

Native Addictions Council of Manitoba (NACM) – Their mission is to provide traditional healing services to First Peoples through holistic treatment of addictions.

Other Resources

Northern Patient Transportation Program - subsidizes medical transportation costs for eligible Manitoba residents in the north to obtain medical or hospital care not available in their home community. Subsidies may include costs for an essential escort.

Newcomers to Canada

Manitoba Start –  Referral service for newcomers to Manitoba setting up permanent residence in Winnipeg; they also provide access to employment programs. Call 204-944-8833.

Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) - Some newcomers may also qualify for assistance through Manitoba’s EIA program. Call 204-948-4000 (Winnipeg) or 1-877-812-0014 (outside Winnipeg).

Immigrant Centre Manitoba Inc. – provides settlement supports, access to a language bank, employment services, workplace entry programs, cooking and nutrition classes, computer training, and a lending library. Call 204-943-9158.

Accueil Francophone - Welcome Centre - provides reception and settlement supports for government-assisted refugees in Winnipeg, as well as settlement services for francophone newcomers. Call 204-975-4250.

Welcome Place - provides settlement supports for refugees and in-Canada protection and settlement for refugee claimants. Call 204-977-1000.

Westman Immigrant Services (Brandon) - offers settlement, employment, and language programs and services to immigrants in the Brandon and Westman area. The Welcome Centre provides reception and settlement supports for government-assisted refugees. Call 204-727-6031.

New Journey Housing - Resource centre for newcomer housing in Manitoba, with a focus on Winnipeg. Provides help, assistance, and resources to guide newcomers to rent, purchase housing, and manage their money. Call 204-942-2238.

Immigrant & Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba (IRCOM) - operates a transitional housing complex for newcomer families as well as a Community Resource program connecting community members with employment, education, and health resources. Call 204-943-8765 or email

Naomi House - Transitional home for arriving refugees and asylum seekers in Winnipeg. Call 204-415-1752.

Winnipeg English Language Assessment and Referral Centre (WELARC) - assists newcomers to Canada to improve their communication skills in English or French. The organization provides referrals to English or French classes to improve language skills for work, education, and life in Canada. Call 204-943-5387 or email

Manitoba Association of Newcomer Serving Organizations (MANSO) - The umbrella organization for settlement service providers in Manitoba. They maintain an extensive list of services for newcomers across Manitoba, including regional settlement service hubs and specialized services.

Seniors and 55 plus

Canada Pension Plan (CPP) – If you worked in Canada (outside of Quebec) and contributed to the CPP, you can receive a retirement pension. The standard age for the pension is 65, but you can start receiving a reduced retirement pension as early as age 60 or increase the monthly amount by waiting up to age 70. CPP is paid monthly. The amount is based on your contributions to the Plan and the age you decide to start your CPP retirement pension. You should apply for this pension six months before you would like to begin collecting it.

Old Age Security (OAS) – Anyone who has lived in Canada for at least 10 years can receive OAS starting the month after they turn 65. If you have lived here 40 years or more you should get the full monthly pension. Apply for the OAS six months before your 65th birthday. (If you can be automatically enrolled, Service Canada will send you a notification letter the month after you turn 64).

Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) – A non-taxable benefit for low-income OAS pensioners. You can apply for your OAS pension and GIS at the same time. Monthly amount depends on annual income from the previous tax year. Eligibility for GIS is reviewed each year when you file your tax return; it is automatically renewed for seniors who qualify.

Spousal Allowance/Allowance for the Survivor – Income-tested benefits paid to a 60-64 year-old spouse/common-law of an OAS recipient or to a survivor. The monthly amount depends on annual income and is reviewed each year when you file your tax return. Automatically renewed for those who qualify.

For more information on the above programs, contact Service Canada or call 1-800-O-CANADA (1-800-622-6232).


55 Plus – Provincial financial supplement, issued quarterly, to low-income seniors 55 years or older, and based on income on the previous year's tax return. It is also available if you receive only the health care benefits portion of Employment and Income Assistance. Call 204-948-7368 (Winnipeg) or 1-877-587-6224 (Toll-Free).

Manitoba Home Care -  A universal service provided to Manitobans of all ages, based on assessed need. Services are listed in Your Guide to Home Care Services in Manitoba [pdf]

Seniors Resource Finders- A service provided through the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority offering information and referral to community resources.

A&O: Support Services for Older Adults - Provides specialized services for older Manitobans across the province. Call 204-956-6440 or email

Health needs

Get or update your health card – To learn more about health care coverage.

Local Health Regions - can help you with specific care needs in your area of Manitoba.

Health Links-info Santé (24 hours) –  Provincial telephone health information line staffed by bilingual registered nurses who triage health issues – from flu symptoms to child fevers to heart attacks – and provide health information to guide and help Manitobans. Call 204-788-8200 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-888-315-9257.

TeleCARE TéléSOINS Manitoba - is a free, confidential tele-health based program, helping Manitobans to live better with a chronic condition, such as heart failure or diabetes. A team of registered nurses and registered dieticians help Manitobans understand their illness and how it can affect them. This team is like having a coach in your corner, helping you make changes that can decrease symptoms and improve your health. Call 204-788-8688 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free at: 1-866-204-3737.

Family Doctor Finder – To find a family doctor or nurse practitioner in your preferred area register online or call Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, at 204-786-7111 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free at: 1-866-690-8260; TTY/DD call 774-8618 or Manitoba Relay Services Toll-Free: 1-800-855-0511.

Prescription Drug Coverage - Provincial/territorial and federal drug benefit programs.

Manitoba Pharmacare – A drug benefit program for any Manitoban regardless of age, whose income is seriously affected by high prescription drug costs. You qualify for the program if you are eligible for Manitoba Health coverage and your prescriptions are not covered by other provincial or federal programs. For information call 204-786-7141, or Toll-Free at 1-800-297-8099.

Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) Health Related Supports - Individuals receiving EIA are eligible for prescription drugs as well as dental and optical coverage after a waiting period. Prescribed medical supplies and equipment may also be provided.

Manitoba Health Ancillary Programs - Are You Covered? Call 204-786-7365 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-800-297-8099 extensions 7365.  Manitoba Health provides additional health programs for Manitobans such as the following .

  • Breast Prosthesis Program (administered through CancerCare Manitoba)
  • Children’s Hearing Aid Program
  • Children's Orthopaedic Shoes Program
  • Home Hemodialysis Utility Reimbursement
  • Prosthetic Eye
  • Infant Contact Lens Program
  • Prosthetic and Orthotic Program
  • Seniors Eyeglass Program
  • Telecommunications Program

Dental Health

Other Programs

EI Caregiving Benefits- through Employment Insurance, the following three types of benefits may be available to you:

  • Family caregiver benefit for children - a critically ill or injured person under 18
  • Family caregiver benefit for adults - a critically ill or injured person 18 or over
  • Compassionate care benefits - a person of any age who requires end-of-life care

Northern Patient Transportation Program - subsidizes medical transportation costs for eligible Manitoba residents in the north to obtain medical or hospital care not available in their home community. Subsidies may include costs for an essential escort.

Mental health

Crisis Response

If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, contact 9-1-1 or your local Crisis Hotline.

Province-wide Crisis Lines

  • Klinic Crisis Line – 204-786-8686, or 1-888-322-3019, TTY 204-784-4097.
  • Manitoba Suicide Line – 1-877-435-7170 (1-877-HELP170).
  • Kids Help Phone (available to Manitoba youth) – 1-800-668-6868.
  • Klinic Sexual Assault Crisis Hotline – 204-786-8631, or 1-888-292-7565, TTY 204-784-4097.
  • Manitoba Farm, Rural and Northern Support Services - for rural and northern residents. Online counselling or call 1-866-367-3276 (Mon-Fri 10 am to 9 pm).
  • First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line - 1-855-242-3310. Counselling available: English, French, and - upon request - in Plains Cree, Ojibway, Inuinnaqtun, Inuttitut, and Inuktitut.

Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) - Mental Health

Crisis Response Centre - A centre designed for adults that is open 24/7 and is located at 817 Bannatyne Avenue, at the corner of Tecumseh. It offers walk-in assessment and treatment for those in mental health crisis.

WRHA Adult Mobile Crisis – 204-940-1781

WRHA Adult Community Mental Health Services - Centralized Intake 204-788-8330

WRHA Youth Mobile Crisis Team - 2049-949-4777

WRHA Child and Adolescent Mental Health -  Centralized Intake 204-958-9660.

Winnipeg Adult Mental Health Service Directory - For services in Winnipeg, or call Health Links at 204-788-8200.

Province-wide crisis lines - a list of mental health service contacts for Interlake-Eastern, Prairie Mountain, Northern, and Southern Health regions.

Community Mental Health Agencies

Artbeat Studio - call 204-943-5194.

Anxiety Disorders Association Manitoba - call 204-925-0600 (Winnipeg) or toll-free 1-800-805-8885 (outside Winnipeg).

Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)

Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba (MDAM) - 204-786-0987 (Winnipeg) or toll-free 1-800-263-1460 (outside Winnipeg).

Post-Partum Warm Line (MDAM) - 204-391-5983

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders (OCD) Centre Manitoba Inc. - 204-942-3331

Manitoba Schizophrenia Society - 204-786-1616

Mental Health Education Resource Centre (MHERC) - 204-942-6568 (Winnipeg) or toll-free 1-855-942-6568 (outside Winnipeg).

Seneca Mental Health Warm Line, and Seneca Respite, Winnipeg - Sara Riel is an organization helping people living with mental health concerns to live independently in the community. For information on programs and services call 204-237-9263.

Addiction services

Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (AFM) – provides services to those seeking assistance either due to their own or another’s involvement with alcohol, drugs, and/or gambling.

Provincial Addictions Information

  • Manitoba Addictions Helpline - Toll-free 1-855-662-6605
  • Youth Addictions Centralized Intake Service - Toll-free 1-877-710-3999
  • 24-Hour Problem Gambling Helpline - Toll-free 1-800-463-1554

Directory of ADULT Addiction Services in Manitoba – provides information to individuals, family members, friends, and service providers about how they can get help for a substance abuse problem for adults or their families.

Directory of YOUTH Addictions Services in Manitoba – provides information for youth, parents, caregivers, and service providers about getting help for a substance abuse problem.

Housing and emergency shelter

Food assistance

Winnipeg Harvest – provides food assistance for people in Winnipeg and referrals to rural food banks. For food assistance call Winnipeg Harvest Inc. at 204-982-3660 or toll-free at 1-800-970-5559 or email

NorWest Coop Community Food Centre – provides food and nutrition support in Winnipeg.

Dial a Dietitian and Regional Healthy Eating Services - lists nutrition programs and Dial-A-Dietitian, which provides free nutrition information. Call a registered dietitian at 204-788-8248 in Winnipeg or Toll-free at 1-877-830-2892.

Housing and emergency shelters

Manitoba Housing – Social and affordable housing options for those living on low to moderate income. Information and applications available for rental, repair, and home ownership programs.

Co-op Housing - Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada

Residential Tenancies Branch (RTB) - Help to solve tenancy disputes and provide information and assistance regarding rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants. Call 204-945-2476 (Winnipeg) or toll-free 1-800-782-8403 or email

Healthy Housing – For tenants living with housing problems (such as bed bugs, rodents, or lack of heat).

Community Safety – Public Safety Investigations – Manitoba Justice program to assist residents of a neighbourhood who fear for their safety related to ongoing unlawful activities. Call 204-945-3475 (Winnipeg) or toll-free 1-800-954-9361.

Centre Flavie-Laurent (CFL) – A charitable organization that provides furniture, household items and clothing free of charge to those in need. Located at 450 Provencher Boulevard in Winnipeg, CFL is open from 9 am-1 pm Monday to Friday. Call 204-231-9513. 

End Homelessness Winnipeg - Listings for emergency shelters, outreach, housing supports, affordable housing, and other services for those experiencing or at risk of homelessness. Email

Homeless shelters


Steinbach – Today House

Brandon -  Contact Crisis brochure

Domestic violence/Family violence
emergency shelter services

Manitoba Association of Women’s Shelters – Domestic Violence Crisis Line and Violence Prevention Program – Call toll-free 1-877-977-0007.

Family Violence Emergency Women's Shelters - an online directory by region.

Men’s Resource Centre of Manitoba Emergency Shelter – Call 204-415-6797 (Winnipeg) or toll-free 1-855-672-6727.

Information and Resources

Manitoba Stop the Violence - how to recognize the signs of an unhealthy/abusive relationship and ways to take action.

Family Violence Prevention Program - what family violence is and where to go for support.

Support Services for Victims of Domestic Violence

Other services

Citizens' Bridge –  helps those living on low income access identification (Canadian birth certificates) needed to access government benefits and programs. They can also assist with safely storing identification, opening bank accounts, getting a learner's/driver's licence, and employment and financial skills. For a referral, contact a Community Referral Partner listed in Facebook (under General Information). After referral, an appointment can be booked by calling Citizens' Bridge at 204-691-9719 or visiting them at 607 Selkirk Avenue. For Outreach and ID Clinics call 204-691-9720.

Manitoba Address Change - A simple way to notify multiple organizations of your change of address.

211 Manitoba - A searchable online database of government, health, and social services available across the province. Manitobans can now call 211 for information on services.

Legal Aid Manitoba - provides free or affordable legal services to low-income adults and youth and public interest groups.

  • Winnipeg - 204-985-8500 or Toll-Free 1-800-261-2960
  • Brandon - 1-800-766-2148 Toll-Free
  • Dauphin - 1-877-622-4660 Toll-Free
  • The Pas - 1-855-775-2397 Toll-Free
  • Thompson - 1 855-444-4665 Toll-Free

Manitoba Government Inquiry - For general inquiries, if you don't see what you're looking for, call 204-945-3744 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-866-626-4862.

Veterans and caregivers

  • Veterans Independence Program (VIP) - provides funding for services such as grounds maintenance, housekeeping, meal preparation, personal care, and professional health and support services. This program does not replace other federal, provincial or municipal programs. Instead, it is intended to work with those programs to help meet your needs.
  • Caregiver Recognition Benefit (CRB) - is for informal caregivers supporting veterans living with physical and/or mental health conditions who require the continuous provision of care and supervision.

COVID-19 resources

Community Financial Helpline (Facebook page)

The Helpline has been launched to answer questions from community members living on low incomes. It can be reached by calling or texting 431-813-4357 (431-813-HELP) or toll free 1-855-955-4234 (1-855-955-4CFH). Information provided by the Community Financial Helpline is free.

The Helpline can assist with questions about tax filing, obtaining identification, federal COVID-19 recovery benefits, other income supports such as EIA, benefits and credits such as the Canada Child Benefit, and debt management and credit counselling.

The Community Financial Helpline is operated by Community Financial Counselling Services (CFCS), Community Unemployed Help Centre, Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba (IRCOM), and SEED Winnipeg, with support from United Way Winnipeg, the Government of Canada, Prosper Canada, and the Province of Manitoba.

Other Community Financial Helpline posters:

Benefits Wayfinder

Prosper Canada’s online tool that simplifies the search for government benefits for people seeking ways to boost their incomes and/or reduce their expenses. The bilingual tool provides customized benefit recommendations based on the life circumstances of each user. Accessible at, the information and resources provided are from federal, provincial, and territorial governments.



For health care providers

Help your patients living in poverty by providing access to tools and resources. Explore the tabs to learn more.

How you can help

Poverty is a significant risk factor for poor health and must be addressed like other major health risks. 

With better income, children are more likely to complete their education, less likely to experience difficulties finding and keeping jobs, and less likely to suffer adult illness and early death.

You can help by directing people to the health and social benefits available to Canadians, such as this website.

You can also follow the steps below when speaking to your patients:


Do you ever have difficulty making ends meet at the end of the month?


Examine the evidence between poverty and poor physical and mental health.

Factor poverty into clinical decision-making like other risk factors.


Inform your patients of specific benefit programs they may be eligible for such as Manitoba Prenatal Benefits.

Direct your patients to apply for federal financial supports such as Old Age Security, Child Tax Benefit, Disability benefits or First Nations programs.

Sign forms and write letters to support applications, if needed.

Encourage your patients to fill out and mail in their income tax forms to make them eligible for various benefits, including drug coverage.


Direct your patients to specific community programs and online resources provided by regional, provincial and federal non-profit organizations and governments.

Make the website and/or hard copies of Get Your Benefits! available. This booklet details resources and income supports.

Advocacy and research

Health Providers Against Poverty - Resources
Contains links to clinical tools, patient handouts, service guides, literature and more.

Manitoba College of Family Physicians - Resources
Contains links to Clinical Practice Guidelines database, Manitoba Government health care report card, CME rebate program, and other new services, guidelines and protocols.

Primary Prevention Research Group
Dr. Alan Katz has recruited a dynamic interdisciplinary team that is working on multiple projects focused on primary prevention and risk behaviours including: tobacco use and exposure, physical inactivity, mental wellbeing (resilience), nutrition and risk stratification.


How to Really Make a Difference to Manitoba Children's Health and Well-Being - through medical practice and advocacy. Noralou Roos, PhD, and Sharon Macdonald, MD, FRCPC, with thanks to Lee Ford Jones, MD, and Gary Bloch, MD.

Webinar - Food Insecurity Part 3 - How does food insecurity relate to health and what are the implications for health care providers (May 18, 2017). Valerie Tarasuk, PhD, Lynn McIntyre, MD, MHSc, FRCPC, FCAHS, and Carlota Basualdo-Hammond, MSc, MPH, RD. From  CDPAC/PHAC.


Poverty: A clinical tool for primary care providers

This tool describes how to ask, assess, act and inform patients about benefits available to Canadians. Tools for other provinces and territories are available at the Centre for Effective Practice: Poverty.

Using online tools for primary care

Evaluating the impact of using an online tool within primary care to improve income security of patients with complex and social needs


Should we treat poverty like other health conditions? (PDF)

Study protocol

Implementation and impact of an online tool used in primary care to improve access to financial benefits for patients: a study protocol [pdf] by Aery A, Rucchetto A, Singer A, et al. BMJ Open 2017; 7:e015947.doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-015947.

For students


From Canada Revenue Agency

Other tips for completing your taxes

Income Tax Information for all Students - an overview of how to file your income tax return, available from International, Immigrant and Refugee Student Services at the University of Winnipeg.

For tax clinics

Hosting a volunteer tax clinic

Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) is a collaboration between community organizations and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Community organizations host free tax preparation clinics and arrange for volunteers to prepare tax returns for those with modest incomes and simple tax situations.

Community Volunteer Income Tax Program - information on hosting volunteer income tax clinics.

Recruitment pamphlet (PDF) provides information about hosting tax clinics, answering questions about the CVITP program, how you can help, and how the CRA helps. Also includes contact information for Prairie Region CVITP offices.

Volunteer at a local tax clinic - by filling out the online form and being approved to use EFILE, you can participate in the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program to help people in your community complete their income tax returns.

Card size summary - community (PDF) promotes benefits of volunteering at free tax clinics in your community.

Card size summary - organization (PDF) promotes benefits of hosting a free tax clinic at your organization.

Additional resources

Community volunteer income tax program poster, English/French (PDF) - recent statistics for CVITP clinics in Manitoba.

Expanding services in the community (PDF)

Insights on hosting volunteer income tax clinics presentation slides

Insights on hosting volunteer income tax clinics presentation slides webinar 

Planning a Successful Community Tax Clinic in Indigenous Communities - a two-part webinar training session hosted by Prosper Canada and AFOA Canada for First Nations communities and Indigenous organizations.

Tax clinic resources

Benefits listed for seniors, housing, family, disability and health issues, and post secondary students.

Forms to assist volunteers in collecting basic information:

Forms to bring for income tax preparation - a list of required tax slips and receipts (PDF) to bring with you when getting your taxes done.

    How to get your T-slips - template letter (doc) indicating the information you need to provide to request T-slips from Winnipeg Taxation Centre.

    Information Slip/Address Change Request form (PDF) - to request information slips and/or change your address. Also available in French.

    Additional resources

    Encouraging filing taxes

    Filing a tax return every year allows individuals and families to unlock access to federal and provincial benefits which can contribute to improved health and wellbeing.

    Given the widely recognized link between income and health, the following resources were created to encourage people to access these benefits. They can be used in a variety of settings to promote tax filing.


    The following posters are available with editable boxes to enable you to tailor the information to your setting - either by entering the text before printing or by writing in the information by hand after printing.



    Additional resources

    Use the document below as a guide when launching your own tax filing clinic.

    Starting a new tax filing clinic (.docx)



    Why we need more Canadian health policy in the media
    Edited by Noralou Roos, Kathleen O'Grady, Eileen Boriskewich, Melanie Meloche-Holubowski, Carolyn Shimmin, Kristy Wittmeier, and Nanci Armstrong. 1st edition with content from December 2014 to December 2015. Freely available in various formats.


    Canada's housing crisis is a public health emergency by Richter and Meili, September 2016.

    Charity is not enough to fight poverty by David Pfrimmer, December 2017.

    How health providers in Canada are working together to treat poverty and improve health by Dane Wanniarachige.

    Medicine is not just a science, it's an art. Commentary by Lynn Wilson. Why a good conversation with your doctor is good for your health. November 2016.

    Prove Yourself! - commentary on barriers to accessing ID for low-income Manitobans. Ellen Smirl, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, Occtober 10, 2017.

    Medicine is not just a science, it's an art. Commentary by Lynn Wilson, November 2016. Why a good conversation with your doctor is good for your health.

    Social pediatrics: From 'lip service' to the health and well-being of Canada's children and youth - by Denis Daneman et al. Paediatric Child Health 2013 Aug-Sept; 18(7):351-352.

    Why it's never too late for low income Canadians to file their taxes by Bloch and Silver, June 2016.

    Why Manitoba needs to invest in its children by Nickel and Moffatt, August 2016.

    News articles

    Meet the Canadian doctor who prescribes money to low-income patients Boosting people's incomes to help boost their health outcomes - could this model work in the US? Sigal Samuel,, May 3, 2019.


    Five things everyone should know about the relationship between poverty and health in Canada by Carolyn Shimmin.

    Does Cash Aid Help the Poor - or Encourage Laziness? Hundreds of families in Zambia receive regular cash payouts as part of an experimental government program: "a small but steady stream of cash with no strings attached may be the smartest way to fix poverty". Nurith Aizenman, Morning Edition, National Public Radio, August 9, 2017.

    Canada urged to calculate how much it costs to raise children. Official estimates are needed as a way to guide policy and help parents, advocates say. Laurie Monsebraaten, Toronto Star, March 7, 2017. 

    Man honoured for helping New Brunswickers file taxes free of charge for decades. Special clinics all over the Maritimes are helping those with modest incomes navigate tax paperwork; it's a cause close to the heart of a Moncton man, who's being honoured by the federal government for decades of volunteer work. Cami Kepke, CTV Atlantic, March 26, 2017.

    NB’ers learn to get their piece of the money pie. A program was held at the Universite de Moncton on Sunday to help ensure New Brunswickers on a modest income receive as much as possible at tax time. Jeremy Keefe, Global News, March 26, 2017.

    If they had a billion dollars... Every year over $1 billion of income benefits and tax credits legislated for the needs of the most vulnerable people in Canada never make it into their pockets. Prosper Canada has recommended that the Government of Canada invest $2 million annually over the next five years for targeted community outreach and support strategies to enable vulnerable Canadians to begin accessing the over $1 billion in benefits they are eligible for, but not receiving. Prosper Canada, February 7, 2017

    Unicef Report Card Gives Canada Low Marks. The UNICEF report card reveals how far rich countries like Canada have allowed their most disadvantaged children to fall behind the average child in health, education, income and life satisfaction. NetNewsledger, January 27, 2017.

    Project helping homeless overcome 'huge barrier' - lost ID. A pilot ID project in Ottawa is helping people to replace lost or stolen identification - a process simple for most, but "a big mountain to climb" for those living on the street. CBC News January 17, 2017.


    Three things the federal government can do to improve the Registered Disability Savings Plan. Commentary describing the RDSP, why so few are using it, and three quick ways to improve it. By Kathleen O'Grady. accessed December 19, 2016.

    The cost of poverty affects us all. The biggest barrier to ending poverty is the political orthodoxy we have lived by for the past 40 years. Gary Bloch, Toronto Star, December 6, 2016.

    How can we let one in 3.5 kids grow up in poverty? Analysis of Manitoba's dubious distinction of having Canada's highest child poverty rate for the second year in a row. Royce Koop, Winnipeg Free Press, December 3, 2016.

    Manitoba food bank usage "distressing" - Manitoba food banks saw a slight decline in traffic this year, but the province has the second-highest use rate in the country. Mia Rabson, Winnipeg Free Press, November 15, 2016.

    Saskatchewan doctors now checking the fiscal health of patients. Family doctors in Saskatchewan are starting to ask their patients if they’ve ever had difficulty making ends meet at the end of the month. Pamela Cowan, Regina Leader-Post, November 15, 2016.


    Eastern Canada - Health Providers Against Poverty - an alliance of health care providers who came together in 2005 in Ontario and has since grown to have provincial chapters in Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Laborador.

    Manitoba College of Family Physicians - Resources  - contains links to Clinical Practice Guidelines database, Manitoba Government health care report card, CME rebate program, and other new services, guidelines and protocols.

    New Brunswick - Economic and Social Inclusion Corporation - created to develop, oversee, coordinate and implement initiatives to reduce poverty and assist thousands of New Brunswickers to become more self-sufficient.

    Personal stories

    Canada without poverty: Wayne's story - a blog series, Spotlight on Poverty, where board members - who all have a lived experience of poverty - are asked about their story and how their poverty has affected their own lives.

    Momentum: Payday lending story - A story of how a group of dynamic change makers were brought together to "influence legislation around payday lending and create real alternatives". Momentum is a Calgary organization using a community development approach to offer hope and opportunity to people living in poverty. More stories at their blog, Momentum: Engage.

    United Way Winnipeg: Poverty to possibility - Other stories from United Way such as "Can you Make the Month" and "Calandra's Story".


    Dr. Noralou Roos: Why those in Poverty have the Poorest Health and Highest health care needs. Humans, on Rights


    Social determinants of health: The Canadian facts (PDF)
    A primer for the Canadian public by Juha Mikkonen and Dennis Raphael, 2010, Toronto: York University School of Health Policy and Management. Also see video of conversation with Dennis Raphael.


    Access to Identification for Low-Income Manitobans - a study researching what can be done to reduce barriers to ID - a critical tool in the fight against poverty - for low-income Manitobans. Ellen Smirl, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, October 2017.


    What if our healthcare system kept us healthy?
    TEDMED talk by Rebecca Onie, 2012. Onie asks questions such as "What if waiting rooms were a place to improve daily health care?"


    Food Insecurity Part 3 - How does food insecurity relate to health and what are the implications for health care providers (May 18, 2017). Valerie Tarasuk, PhD, Lynn McIntyre, MD, MHSc, FRCPC, FCAHS, and Carlota Basualdo-Hammond, MSc, MPH, RD. From CDPAC/PHAC.

    What others are doing

    What you need to know about getting a birth certificate across Canada

    New Brunswick

    Economic and Social Inclusion Corporation (ESIC) - was created to "develop, oversee, coordinate and implement initiatives to reduce poverty and assist thousands of New Brunswickers to become more self-sufficient".

    ESIC news release March 27, 2017 - Income tax preparation clinic for people on modest incomes. (Lisez la version française)

    United States

    StreetCred program - "Over 90% of children in the United States saw a pediatrician at least once last year, which means too many busy, hardworking, stressed families spent lots of precious time in waiting rooms or by hospital beds." StreetCred advertises eligibility for government assistance programs in hospitals, clinics and surrounding communities; they are trained by local partners to walk families through completing complicated applications and filing taxes.

    The relationships among SNAP benefits, grocery spending, diet quality, and the adequacy of low-income families resources - by Patricia M. Anderson and Kristin F. Butcher. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, June 14, 2016

    It's your money Fact sheets

    Produced by Canada Revenue Agency, these fact sheets provide information about benefits, credits and deductions that can be obtained by regularly filing taxes - even if you have no income at all. 

    For hard copies, contact Canada Revenue Agency.


    Card summary

    Benefits and credits available to you. Also available in French.

    Fact sheet

    Applying for the disability tax credit - who is eligible and how to apply.


    Card summary

    What you can get when you do your taxes and where to go for more information.

    Fact sheet

    Why you need to do your taxes, and the benefits, credits and deductions available to you. Also additional information on what to do if you don't have all the necessary documents. Also available in French, Inuktitut, Swampy Cree, Plains Cree, Dene, Montagnais, and Labrador Inuktitut.


    Benefits and credits available to you when you do your taxes.


    Fact sheet - newcomers

    Doing your taxes can benefit you! How to sign up to get your benefit and credit payments. Also available in French, Arabic, Tagalog, Simplified Chinese, and Punjab

    Card size summary - Are you new to Canada? As a resident of Canada, there are benefits and credits you may be eligible for. (Also available in French)

    Fact sheets - refugees 

    How Warda and Maria got benefits and credits after escaping war and violence in their home countries and resettling in Canada.

    Poster - New to Canada?

    Benefits and credits available to you from CRA.


    Fact sheet

    Age has its benefits...and credits and tax deductions. Also available in French.

    Card summary

    Age has its benefits. Did you know there are many benefits and credits available for seniors? Also available in French.


    Card summary

    Doing your taxes has its perks, and everything can be done online.

    Fact sheet

    Doing your taxes has its perks! Put more money in your pocket: go digital and avoid delays and incorrect payments. Also available in French.


    Fact sheet

    Get your payments when you need them most, particularly if you have fled an abusive situation. Also available in French.


    • Survey

      Your feedback is important!

      Your input will help us ensure the materials are both useful and effectively distributed to all who might benefit from the information contained in this resource.

      To share your experience using the Get Your Benefits! booklet, please complete our short survey.

      Complete the survey

    • Questions?

      We are glad to answer any questions you may have about this project. Please feel free to send comments and suggestions directly to us at

      Contact us

    Who we are

    We are a coalition of health care providers, researchers, community agencies and non-profit organizations based in Manitoba with the aim to treat poverty to improve the health and well-being of Manitoba families.

    Contact us

    Get Your Benefits!
    Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
    University of Manitoba
    408 - 727 McDermot Avenue
    Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5