Dr. Pawan Singal is a professor of physiology and pathophysiology and is also principal investigator in the Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences at St. Boniface Hospital and UM.
Dr. Singal completed his bachelor of science and master of science in biophysics from Panjab University in India; PhD in physiology from the University of Alberta and his doctoral degree in cardiovascular pathophysiology.
Dr. Singal joined UM as a lecturer, rose through the ranks and has been a professor since 1990. He served as associate dean for the Faculty of Graduate Studies and also as director of the Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences.
He is also holder of the Naranjan S. Dhalla Chair established by the St. Boniface Hospital Research Foundation.
Internationally known for his work on oxidative stress and heart failure, Dr. Singal has made significant contributions in our understanding of the sequeale of heart failure due to doxorubicin (an anti-cancer drug), chronic pressure overload as well as myocardial ischemia/reperfusion.
He has published 300 papers, has co-edited 32 books and trained more than 100 students, fellows and visiting scientists. He has received more than 100 national and international awards.
UM has established an award in his name called the Pawan K. Singal Award for Graduate Students in Cardiovascular Sciences.
His name has been added to the Wall of Fame in the University Centre, recognizing his outstanding teaching skills and research.
Additionally, the University of Winnipeg has bestowed to him an honorary law doctorate.
- Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Winnipeg (2018)
- Doctor of science (cardiovascular pathophysiology), Panjab University (1995)
- Doctor of philosophy (physiology), University of Alberta (1974)
- Master of science (biophysics), Panjab University (1970)
- Bachelor of science (honours, biophysics), Panjab University (1968)
- Distinguished Cardiovascular Scientist, Cuban Society of Cardiology (2018)
- Distinguished Physiologist, American Physiological Society (2016)
- Commemorative Medal of Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic (2011)
- Medal of Honour for Scientific Achievements, University of Holguin Medical Sciences, Holguin, Cuba (2011)
- Ron Duhamel Innovation Award (2009)
- University of Alberta, 100 years (1908-2008) Commemoration Medal (2008)
- University of Alberta Alumni Association Honour Award, University of Alberta Alumni Association (2006)
- The Golden Jubilee Medal of Queen Elizabeth II (2002)
- Name added to the Wall of Recognition, University of Manitoba (1998)
- University of Manitoba Graduate Teaching Award (1998)
- Gold Medal Award (For Distinction in Biological Sciences), Slovak Academy of Science, Stara Lesna, Slovak Republic (1997)
- University of Manitoba Merit Awards for teaching, research and scholarly work (1988-1989; 1992-1993; 1997-1998; 1999-2000)
- Canadian Heart Foundation Scholar (1982-1988; 1985-1998)