Title: University Relations and Information Office fonds.
Extent: 7.72 m of textual records and other material.
Administrative history: The University Relations and Information Office was created in 1958 to publicize events at the University of Manitoba through various forms of media. Operating directly under the authority of the President, the Office prepared articles, press releases and public displays. The Office financed Alumni Association activities and publications such as the Alumni Journal. Eventually the Alumni Association assumed the public relations arm for University alumni while internal University news was covered by the Information Office through publication of the bi-monthly newspaper, The Bulletin. In 1960, secretarial staff was added to the Office, and the Public Relations Officer and Information Assistant became the Executive Director of the Alumni Association and Associate Editor of the Alumni Journal, respectively.
Custodial history: The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in numerous accessions by the University Relations and Information Office between 1979 and 1998.
Scope and content: The fonds consists of press releases issued by the University Relations and Information Office (UA 16) and a large and growing number of photographs and video-cassettes. The photograph collection (PC 6, PC 80) consists of 2743 photographs depicting life on the Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses. PC 31 and PC 34 consists of 80 video-cassettes depicting University of Manitoba convocation ceremonies. The numerous tape collections (TC 6, 8, 12-14, 16, 18, 22, 27, 29, 30, 52-56) consist of audio recordings of convocation ceremonies.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Accruals: Further accruals are expected.
Finding aid: Printed finding aids are available in the Archives reading room.
What the Fonds? blog (on hiatus)