1.83 m of textual records (19 volumes, 5 boxes)
The University Council was the chief administrative body of the
University from 1877 to 1936. It consisted of seven members chosen
from each affiliated college, three graduates, and two individuals
from the Board of Education. The University of Manitoba Act of 1877
entrusted the Council with the management of affairs, concerns and
properties of the University. The increasing size of the University
and its new teaching mandate required separation between administrative
personnel and the academic body. The University Amendment Act of
1917 created the first Board of Governors and a permanent presidential
position to replace the academics within the Council. The Council
was reduced in size from 72 to 28 members and became the academic
body of the University.
The Chairman of the University Council was the Chancellor from
1877 to 1933, and the President, or Vice-Chancellor, from 1933 to
1936. After the "Machray scandal" of 1932 in which over $1,000,000
was embezzled from University accounts, a Royal Commission was established
to examine all aspects of the University's administration. The Commission
recommended that a Senate be created to replace the Council in order
to provide a more equal representation between faculties and the
affiliated denominational colleges. In 1936 the University Council
was dissolved and replaced by the Senate.
The records (1877-1936) in this collection consist of University
Council and Board of Studies minutes, correspondence and reports.
Most correspondence was addressed to, or received by, the Registrar,
Isaac Pitblado. Subjects included the development of new courses
and fields of study, appointments, honourary degrees, space allocation,
buildings and grounds, and other matters related to the finances
and organization of the University.
Open to all researchers
Finding aid available