University of Manitoba University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Archives & Special Collections Archives & Special Collections UM Libraries
About the U of M Contact Information Maps Faculties myUMinfo

line




 

Winnipeg Tribune fonds

MSS 24, PC 18

243 m of textual records and graphic materials

ca. 1930s-1980

The Winnipeg Tribune, one of western Canada's oldest newspapers, was founded in 1890 by L.R. Richardson and D.L. McIntyre who scraped together $7000 to take over the press and premises of the old Winnipeg Sun. Struggling under the restraints of outdated equipment and no telegraph service, the new paper survived and with the aid of Winnipeg's growing population and economic boom fast became a viable alternative to the rival Winnipeg Free Press. While primarily regarded as an independent liberal paper covering local events and personalities, the Tribune also reported on national and international news. After 90 years of operation, the Winnipeg Tribune ceased publication unexpectedly in August of 1980 as a result of negotiations between competing newspaper chains.

The collection contains the Tribune research collection (or `morgue' files) as created by the newspaper's staff consisting of personality files and subject folders of clippings from the 1930's to the 1980's. Many of the subject files have been microfilmed by the university for preservation purposes. There are approximately 2,500,000 clippings (a few of the clippings may be from other newspaper such as the Free Press), divided over some 11,000 different subject categories and 60,000 personality folders. Together they provide ready-made collections of people and events in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and abroad. The collection is also well documented pictorially with over 500,000 photographs. A typewritten alphabetical index to the Tribune collection is available.

167 reels of microfilm (available for purchase in whole or in part)

Donated by the Thomson Newspapers Ltd., 1981

Open to all researchers

Finding aid available