Last updated: February 12, 2021
As all Canadians implement measures to curb the transmission of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we empathize with companies having to reassess their operations for business continuity purposes and how that could impact recruitment programs. Our team is committed to supporting your efforts in hiring Asper School of Business students as efficiently as possible.
For all Asper employers, this means:
- Flexible start dates and working arrangements (e.g. work from home, telecommuting, rotating shifts) are encouraged where feasible.
- In your discussions with students, we would appreciate your support in enabling them to feel safe at work during this period, but also in understanding there may be health circumstances that require students to remain at home. We have encouraged our students to proactively work through solutions in collaboration with their employers (please refer to our Coronavirus FAQ for students).
- Enhanced access to employer grants and funding to help subsidize your student recruitment.
- Additional support for your communications efforts and onboarding programs, including virtual orientation.
- New opportunities to launch campus recruitment through innovative forms of Work Integrated Learning. Contact our team to explore your options.
Asper Career Development Centre
What do I need to know about the Summer 2021 Co-op Work Term recruitment process?
Co-op students are available to work this Summer 2021, however, due to the impacts of COVID-19, our structured recruitment process that includes on-campus interviews and a rank/match process with scheduled timelines unfortunately is not feasible. We have temporarily implemented a “continuous placement model” which will better support both the needs of our valued employer partners and co-op students during these unprecedented times. Check out the Co-op Recruitment page for details on these changes.
We are here to help accelerate your company's stabilization efforts as we navigate through this challenging period together. Please refer to our FAQ for Asper employers below including links to additional resources.
What financial incentives are available to maintain and/or increase my student recruitment for 2021?
There are many funding opportunities, including programs specifically related to COVID-19, currently available to Canadian employers of all sizes:
- The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) — Provides employers with wage subsidies of up to $7,500 per Canadian or PR student they hire until April 30, 2021. SWPP funding will continue after April 30, 2021 but may revert to pre-COVID levels of up to 50% of a student’s wage or $5000 – stay tuned for further announcements from the Federal Government.
- MITACS Business Strategy Internship – The Asper School of Business and MITACS have partnered to support the hiring of international co-op students in the Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) degree program. MITACS BSI internships offer a $10,000 award to a student for a 12-16 week work placement focused on developing a strategy or modifying existing operations in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Employers contribute $2500 for the placement with the remainder being provided by MITACS and the Asper School of Business. Applications can be submitted until March 1, 2021 for project completion prior to Aug 31, 2021 For further information, contact Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Co-op Students Hiring Incentive (COS-HI) - Employers who hire a co-op student can claim 15% of wages and salaries, up to a maximum of $5,000 per student.
- Work-Sharing Agreements — The Government of Canada has introduced temporary special measures that extend the maximum duration from 38 weeks to 76 weeks.
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan — A host of supports for individuals facing hardship as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.
- ICTC’s Youth Dividend Program - Selected employers from small and medium-sized businesses and not-for-profit organizations will receive support in the form of a 100% wage subsidy, as well as the opportunity to access additional ICT tools and resources, promote workplace diversity, and help recent graduates thrive in the growing and competitive business landscape!
What virtual/online recruitment options does Asper offer employers?
Our team is here to help you fulfill your Summer 2021 hiring by leveraging virtual/online tactics that will connect you with the best candidates.
- To post a co-op/summer/full time position or to schedule interviews, simply email the job description to email@example.com and a member of our team will respond as soon as possible. Please indicate within the job description if the successful candidate will be expected to work from home or through an alternative arrangement as directed by public health authorities.
- Interviews, co-op site visits, and meetings can continue in compliance with your company’s policies and scheduling needs. While the University of Manitoba has decided to postpone all in-person events through winter 2021, we have full virtual capability to offer expanded client services for on-campus recruitment, including:
- Online video interviews via Skype, Zoom, or other platforms.
- Virtual info sessions for up to 100 participants anywhere in the world.
- Virtual workshops and career panels.
- Ten Thousand Coffees, to connect for coffee chats online with students seeking mentorship and coaching in your professional field.
Is my workplace considered essential during the COVID-19 response period?
Please refer to the Government of Manitoba’s List of Essential Workplaces.
Tip Sheets and Additional Resources for Employers:
Tips for Onboarding Students Remotely (CEWIL Canada)
Tips for Supervising Students Remotely (CEWIL Canada)
Tips for Working at Home (CEWIL Canada)
Getting Your Workplace Ready for COVID-19 (World Health Organization)
Please contact us today for a 2021 recruitment plan that is customized to your firm's changing needs:
Asper Career Development Centre