1. TB immunology My main interest in TB research is to investigate uncommon immunity among exposed uninfected and latently infected subjects. It is well known that exposure to MTB can lead to no established or latent infection or active tuberculosis disease. Of interest to me are subjects who are exposed to MTB but never develop latent MTB infection. Areas of research interest on these subjects are i) to develop laboratory tools for the identification of such individuals and ii) to characterise MTB specific responses which may be useful in development of better TB vaccines.
2: Surveillance of haemorrhagic fever viruses: Majority of Haemorrhagic fever viruses are found in Africa. While these viruses were initially thought to be restricted in specific regions, it is becoming apparent that some are now appearing in regions which were not originally their geographical niche. It is therefore important to carry out surveillance studies to understand factors driving the spread of these viruses to new geographical regions. Of interest to me is the surveillance of Dengue fever virus and its serotypes.
For a list of Dr. Oyugi's PubMed articles, please click here
- Awah F.M., Uzoegwu P.N., Ifeonu P., Oyugi J.O., Rutherford J., Yao X., Fehrmann F., Eze M.O. Free radical scavenging activity, phenolic contents and cytotoxicity of selected Nigerian medicinal plants. (2012) Food Chemistry, 131 (4), pp. 1279-1286.
- Choi RY, Fowke KR, Juno J, Lohman-Payne B, Oyugi J.O, Brown ER, Bosire R, John-Stewart G, Farquhar C. C868T Single Nucleotide Polymorphism and HIV Type 1 Disease Progression Among Postpartum Women in Kenya.AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2011 Sep 27.
- Borkow G, Covington CY, Gautam B, Anzala O, Oyugi J, Juma M, Abdullah MS. Prevention of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Breastmilk Transmission with Copper Oxide: Proof-of-Concept Study.Breastfeed Med. 2011 Aug; 6:165-70.
- Francis M. Awah, Peter N. Uzoegwu, Julius O. Oyugi.J.O, John Rutherford, Patrick Ifeonu, Xiao-Jian Yao, Keith R. Fowke and Michael O. Eze. Free radical scavenging activity and immunomodulatory effect of Stachytarpheta angustifolia leaf extract. Food Chemistry, Volume 119, Issue 4, 15 April 2010, Pages 1409-1416.
- Julius Oyugi, Fredrick Oyugi, Christine Otieno, Walter Jaoko, Job Bwayo, Omu Anzala. Use of serologic testing algorithm for recent HIV seroconversion(STARHS) to estimate HIV-1 incidence among adults visiting a Kenyan tertiary health institution. East African Medical Journal volume 86, no. 5; 2009.
- Oyugi J.O, Vouriot FC, Alimonti J, Wayne S, Luo M, Land AM, Ao Z, Yao X, Sekaly RP, Elliott LJ,Simonsen JN, Ball TB, Jaoko W, Kimani J, Plummer FA, Fowke KR. A Common CD4 Gene Variant Is Associated with an Increased Risk of HIV-1 Infection in Kenyan Female Commercial Sex Workers. J Infect Dis. 2009 May 1; 199 (9):1327-1334.
Virology to undergraduate: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of viral diseases. Virology to graduate students: Travel medicine, Epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of viral diseases.