Molecular subtyping of bacterial pathogens
Cluster and outbreak detection for diarrheal diseases
Distribution and genetic diversity of Salmonella , Shigella , E. coli , Campylobacter
Epidemiology of foodborne disease.
PulseNet Canada is the National Molecular Subtyping Network for Foodborne Disease Surveillance. Participants (provincial public health laboratories and federal agencies) perform standardized molecular subtyping of foodborne bacterial pathogens by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE). PFGE patterns are submitted to dynamic databases at the National Microbiology Laboratory, which are available on-line to participants – allowing for rapid comparison of patterns. This virtual network enables the detection of geographically dispersed outbreaks of foodborne bacterial disease at an earlier stage compared to traditional laboratory surveillance, allowing for more timely interventions and reduced impact on public health.
For a list of Dr. Nadon's PubMed articles, please click here
- Voetsch, A.C., Angulo, F.J., Jones, T.F., M.R. Moore, Nadon, C.A ., McCarthy, P., Shiferaw, B., Megginson, M.B., Hurd, S., Anderson, B.J., Cronquist, A., Vugia, D., Medus, C., Segler, S., R.M. Hoekstra, Graves, L.M. and P.M. Griffin. Reduction in the incidence of invasive listeriosis in the FoodNet sites, 1996-2003. Clinical Infectious Diseases Accepted Nov.15, 200 6.
- Nadon , C.A. , L.K. Ng and PulseNet Canada Members. 2006. Enhancing laboratory surveillance and outbreak detection for shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infections. 6 th International Symposium on Shiga Toxin (Verocytotoxin) Producing Escherichia coli i nfections, Melbourne , Australia .
- Clark, C., C. Nadon , L.K. Ng, F. Pollari, A. Maki, F. Jamieson, D. Daignault, B. Marshall, K. Pintar, A. Cook, N. Sittler. 2006. Comparison of molecular methods for subtyping Campylobacter jejuni and C. coli for prospective surveillance and case cluster detection. Canadian Campylobacter Conference, Vancouver , British Columbia .
- Zinszer, K., D. Sider, D. Young, D. Carey, A. Ellis, D. MacDonald, D. Middleton, S. Calvin, A. Maki, P. Boleszczuk, J. Labelle, M. Lombos, F. Jamieson, C. Nadon , R. Ahmed, B. Mitchell, A. Godkin, A. Hughes, D. Sharma, L. Panaro. 2006. From Farm to Fork: Salmonella Schwarzengrund in Pasteurized Cheese in Ontario , Canada , 2005 to 2006. 11 th European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Conference, Mahon , Spain .
- Nadon , C.A. and K.G. Holt. 2006. Results of The Food Safety and Inspection Service's Strategy for Reducing Salmonella on Meat and Poultry Products, United States, 1998-2004. International Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases, Atlanta GA.
- Henao, O., T.F. Jones, R. Marcus, P. McCarthy, C. Nadon , D.J. Vugia, D. Voestch, F.J. Angulo and P.M. Griffin. 2006. Pregnancy-associated listeriosis in Hispanic women in FoodNet sites, 1996-2003. International Conference on Women and Infectious Diseases, Atlanta GA.
- Schwab, U., B.M. Bowen , C.A. Nadon , M. Wiedmann and K.J. Boor. 2005. The Listeria monocytogenes prfA P2 promoter is regulated by sigma B in a growth phase dependent manner. FEMS Microbiology Letters 245: 329-336 .
- Nadon , C.A. , P. Levine and R. Phillips. 2004. Genetic diversity of Listeria monocytogenes isolated from ready-to-eat meat and poultry products in the United States, 2000-2002. 15 th International Symposium on Problems of Listeriosis, Uppsala , Sweden .
- Nadon , C.A. , B.M. Bowen, M. Wiedmann and K. J. Boor. 2002. Sigma B contributes to PrfA-mediated virulence in Listeria monocytogenes . Infection and Immunity 70: 3948-3952.
- Nadon , C.A. , D.L. Woodward, C. Young, F.G. Rodgers and M. Wiedmann. 2001. Correlations between molecular subtyping and serotyping of Listeria monocytogenes . Journal of Clinical Microbiology 39: 2704-2707.
- Nadon , C.A. , M. Wiedmann and K.J. Boor. 2001. Stress response and virulence: Competitive index murine model of listeriosis. 101 st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, Orlando , FL.