Main research and programmatic interests include biological and behavioural risk factors for STI/HIV transmission; syndromic approaches and risk assessment in the management of STIs; targeted interventions to reduce the transmission of STIs and HIV infection; health worker training in STI management in resource-poor settings; and integrated approaches to STI/HIV prevention and control.
For more information about Dr. Moses please click here
For a list of Dr. Moses' PubMed articles, please click here
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. “Scaling up HIV prevention in Karnataka and southern Maharashtra, Phase II”.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. “Monitoring and evaluation of the Avahan project in India : impact assessment and cost-effectiveness analyses using enhanced surveillance methods and mathematical modeling of HIV transmission dynamics”.
- United States Agency for International Development. “Enhance Karnataka: integrated HIV/AIDS prevention and care in India”.
- The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. “Scaling up treatment, care and support services for people living with HIV/AIDS in Maharashtra and Karnataka”.
- National Aids Control Organisation of India. “Technical Support Unit for the management of targeted interventions and other civil society initiatives in Karnataka”.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. “Technical assistance to improve maternal, neonatal and child health outcomes through the National Rural Health Mission in Karnataka, India”.
- World Bank. “Social Mapping of Vulnerable Populations for HIV Infection in the Maldives”.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. “CIHR Team in the socio-cultural aspects of implementing HIV vaccine programs among MSM and FSWs in Asia and Africa”.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. “Impact assessment of HIV prevention programming in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka: the Charme II project”.
- World Bank. “Technical support to design, implement and monitor HIV prevention programs for FSWs and MSM in Sri Lanka”, 2010-2011, USD $69,600.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. “International infectious diseases and global health training program: four continents, one shared experience”.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Bailey RC, MOSES S, Parker CB, Agot K, Maclean I, Krieger JN, Williams CFM, Campbell RT, Ndinya-Achola JO. Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2007; 369:643-56.
- Nagelkerke NJD, MOSES S, de Vlas S, Bailey RC. Modelling the public health impact of male circumcision for HIV prevention in high prevalence areas in Africa. BMC Infect Dis 2007; 7:16.
- Becker ML, Ramesh BM, Washington RG, Halli S, Blanchard JF, MOSES S. Prevalence and determinants of HIV infection in South India: a heterogeneous, rural epidemic. AIDS 2007; 21:739-47.
- Krieger J, Bailey RC, Opeya JC, Ayieko BO, Opiyo FA, Omondi D, Agot K, Parker C, Ndinya-Achola JO, MOSES S. Adult male circumcision outcomes: experience in a developing country setting. Urol Int 2007; 78:235-40.
- Becker ML, Cohen C, Cheang M, Washington RG, Blanchard JF, MOSES S. Diarrheal disease among HIV-infected adults in Karnataka, India: evaluation of risk factors and etiology. Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:718-22.
- Blanchard JF, Halli S, Ramesh BM, Bhattacharjee P, Washington RG, O’Neil J, MOSES S. Variability in the sexual structure in a rural Indian setting: implications for HIV prevention strategies. Sex Transm Inf 2007; 83(Suppl 1):i30-6.
- Blanchard JF, Bhattacharjee P, Kumaran S, Ramesh BM, Kumar NS, Washington RG, MOSES S. Concepts and strategies for scaling up focused prevention for sex workers in India. Sex Transm Inf 2008; 84(Suppl 2):ii19-23.
- Reza-Paul S, Beattie T, Syed HUR, Venukumar KT, Venugopal MS, Fathima MP, Raghavendra HR, Akram P, Manjula R, Lakshmi M, Isac S, Ramesh BM, Washington R, Mahagaonkar SB, Glynn JR, Blanchard JF, MOSES S. Declines in risk behaviour and sexually transmitted infection prevalence following a community-led HIV preventive intervention among female sex workers in Mysore, India. AIDS 2008; 22(Suppl 5):S91-100.
- MOSES S, Ramesh BM, Nagelkerke NJD, Khera A, Isac S, Bhattacharjee P, Gurnani V, Washington R, Prakash KH, Pradeep BS, Blanchard JF. Impact of an intensive HIV prevention program for female sex workers on HIV prevalence among antenatal clinic attenders in Karnataka state, south India: an ecological analysis. AIDS 2008; 22(Suppl 5):S101-8.
- Mishra S, MOSES S, Hanumaiah PK, Washington R, Alary M, Ramesh BM, Isac S, Blanchard JF. Sex work, syphilis, and seeking treatment: an opportunity for intervention in HIV prevention programming in Karnataka, south India. Sex Transm Dis 2009; 36:157-64.
- MOSES S. CIHR/CMAJ: Top Achievements in Health Research: Male circumcision: a new approach to reducing HIV transmission. CMAJ 2009; 181:E134-5.
- Smith JS, Backes DM, Hudgens MG, Bailey RC, Veronesi G, Bogaarts M, Agot K, Ndinya-Achola JO, Maclean I, Agingu W, Meijer CJLM, MOSES S, Snijders PJF. Prevalence and risk factors for human papillomavirus infection by penile site in uncircumcised Kenyan men. Int J Cancer 2010; 126:572-7.
- Ramesh BM, Beattie TSH, Isac S, Washington R, Jagannathan L, Reza-Paul S, Blanchard JF, MOSES S. Changes in risk behaviours and STI prevalence following HIV preventive interventions among female sex workers in five districts in Karnataka state, south India. Sex Transm Inf 2010; 86 (Suppl 1):i17-24.
- Bradley J, MOSES S, Blanchard JF, Rajaram S, Ramesh BM, Verma S, Alary M. Validating reported condom use among female sex workers in southern India through examination of condom availability. Sex Transm Inf 2010; 86 (Suppl 1):i44-48.
- Pickles M, Foss AM, Vickerman P, Deering K, Verma S, Demers E, Washington R, Ramesh BM, MOSES S, Blanchard J, Lowndes CM, Michel Alary, Reza-Paul S, Boily M-C. Interim modelling analysis to validate reported increases in condom use and assess HIV infections averted among female sex workers and clients in southern India following a targeted HIV prevention programme. Sex Transm Inf 2010; 86 (Suppl 1):i33-43.
- Buzdugan R, Copas A, MOSES S, Blanchard J, Isac S, Ramesh BM, Washington R, Halli SS, Cowan FM. Devising a female sex worker typology using data from Karnataka, India. Int J Epidemiol 2010; 39:439-48.
- Smith JS, MOSES S, Hudgens MG, Parker CB, Agot K, Maclean I, Ndinya-Achola JO, Snijders PJ, Meijer CJ, Bailey RC. Increased risk of HIV acquisition among Kenyan men with human papillomavirus infection. J Infect Dis 2010; 201:1677-85.
- Hirbod T, Bailey RC , Agot K, MOSES S, Ndinya-Achola J, Murugu R, Andersson J, Nilsson J , Broliden K. Abundant expression of HIV target cells and C-type lectin receptors in the foreskin tissue of young Kenyan men. Am J Pathol 2010; 176:2798-805.
- Mishra S, Naik B, Venugopal B, Kudur P, Washington R, Becker M, Kenneth J, Jayanna K, Ramesh BM, Isac S, Boily M-C, Blanchard J, MOSES S. Syphilis screening among female sex workers in Bangalore, India: comparison of point-of-care testing and traditional serological approaches. Sex Transm Infect 2010; 86:193-98.
- Mehta SD, Krieger JN, Agot K, MOSES S, Ndinya-Achola JO, Parker C, Bailey RC. Circumcision and reduced risk of self-reported penile coital injuries: results from a randomized controlled trial in Kisumu, Kenya. J Urol 2010; 184:203-9.
- Beattie T, Bhattacharjee P, Ramesh BM, Gurnani V, Anthony J, Isac S, Mohan HL, Ramakrishnan A, Wheeler T, Bradley J, Blanchard JF, MOSES S. Violence against female sex workers in Karnataka state, south India: impact on health, and reductions in violence following an intervention program. BMC Public Health 2010; 10:476.
- Vickerman P, Foss AM, Pickles M, Deering K, Verma S, Demers E, MOSES S, Alary M, Boily M-C. To what extent is the HIV epidemic in southern India driven by commercial sex? A modelling analysis. AIDS 2010; 24:2563-72.
- Agot KE, Vander Stoep A, Tracy M, Obare BA, Bukusi EA, Ndinya-Achola JO, MOSES S, Weiss NS. Widow inheritance and prevalence of HIV infection in Bondo District, Kenya: baseline results from a prospective cohort. PLoS One 2010; 5(11):e14028.
- Rose JM, Washington R, Krishnamurthy J, Pise G, Perumpil M, Gurnani V, MOSES S. Morbidity profiles of people living with HIV/AIDS in urban and rural inpatient and outpatient settings in Karnataka, south India. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care 2011; 10:12-7.National Institutes of Health. “A randomized, controlled trial of male circumcision to reduce HIV incidence in Kisumu, Kenya”.