Grad Students: I cannot take any grad students at this time.
CACMID presentation 2017
Bibliography for Excel file pertaining to the genus Clostridium by KBernard April 19 2017 click here
Genus Clostridum emended-CACMID 2017 KBernard and AMBernier poster April 11 2017 click here
Review of all species called Clostridium subdivided by CLUSTER (orig Excel file) K Bernard April 19 2017 click here
Please contact me if you share these interests and wish to collaborate.
Characteristics of unusual, novel or rare bacterial pathogens which have caused disease in humans, providing evidence which links human disease by bacteria thought to be commensals or apathogenic, bacterial systematics and taxonomy.
For an up to date link to publications from Ms. Bernard please click here
Text Book chapters / Monographs since 2012:
1. Bernard, K. and G. Funke. [May] 2012. The Genus Corynebacterium in Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol 5, The Actinobacteria Part A, 2rd ed. Pg 245-289
2. Appleman, M., Citron, D., Bernard, K., Copeland, J.C., Cox, M., Dien Bard, J., Heseltine, P., Jacobus, N.V., Kircher, S.M., Mochon, A.B., Onderdonk, A., O’Kelly, J., Otterson, L.G., Patel, P. H., Shawar, R.M., Thompson, A. 2014. Principles and Procedures for Detection of Anaerobes in Clinical Specimens. CLSI M56-A. Wayne Pa. Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (July 2014)
3. Bernard K., 2015 Identification of Gram-positive Bacteria. In Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook upcoming 4th ed.(Accepted, in Press) ASM Press Washington DC
4. Bernard, K., (May) 2015 Chapter 25 Algorithm for the Identification of Aerobic, Gram-Positive Rods for the Manual of Clinical Microbiology 11th ed, ASM Press Washington DC pg 437-440.
5. Funke, G. and K. Bernard. (May) 2015 Chapter 28. Coryneform Gram-Positive rods. in Manual of Clinical Microbiology 11th ed, ASM Press Washington, DC. Pg 474-503
6. Bernard, K. 2015. The Genus Corynebacterium The Encyclopedia of Prokaryotes (Elsevier) accepted in press
Peer Reviewed publications since 2013:
1. Bernard, K., A.L. Pacheco, I. Cunningham, N. Gill, T. Burdz, D. Wiebe. [June] 2013. Emendation of the species Corynebacterium propinuum to includes species which produce urease. Int. J. System. Bacteriol. Int J System. Evol. Microbiol 63:2146-2154.
2. Bridger, N., S. Drews, T. Burdz, D. Wiebe, A.L. Pacheco, B. Ng and K. Bernard.[May] 2013 Isolation and Characterization of Pigmentiphaga-like isolates from human clinical material. J. Med. Microbiol. 62:708-711
3. Harrington, S., Bell, M., Bernard, K., Lagacé-Wiens, P., Schuetz, A. N., Hartmann, B., McQuiston, J.R., Wilson, D., Lasalvia, M., Ng, B., Richter, S., Taege, A. [Nov] 2013 Case Report: A Novel, Fastidious, Partially Acid Fast, Anaerobic Gram Positive Bacillus associated with Abscess formation at Diverse Medical Centres. J. Clin. Microbiol. 51:3903-3907
4. Goldenberger, D., Hinić V, Turan S, Schultheiss E, Pacheco AL, Frei R, Bernard K. Extended characterization of Corynebacterium pyruviciproducens based on clinical strains from Canada and Switzerland. 2014. J. Clin. Microbiol. 52:3180-83
5. Domingo, M-C, E. Fournier, C. Massé, H. Charest, K. Bernard, J-C Côté, C. Tremblay. 2015. Draft Genome Sequences of Two Toxigenic Corynebacterium ulcerans strains. Genome Annoucements 3 e00699-15.
6. Tracz, D. M., M. W. Gilmour, P. Mabon, D. R. Beniac, L. Hoang, P. Kibsey, G. Van Domselaar, H. Tabor, G. R. Westmacott, C.R.Corbett, and K.A. Bernard. 2015. A polyphasic taxonomic analysis of Tatumella saanichensis species novum, a bacterium isolated from a Cystic Fibrosis patient. Int. J. System. Evol. Microbiol. 65: 1959-1966
7. Richter, S., J. A. Hindler, K. Bernard, M. Castanheira, D. M. Citron,M.R. Couturier, T. R. Fritsche, R. M. Humphries, J.H. Jorgensen, S. B. Killian, P. Kohner, S. Patel, H.H. Shamsuddin, M. P. Weinstein. Methods for Antimicrobial dilution and disk susceptibility testing of infrequently isolated or fastidious bacteria; Draft Guideline -3rd edition. CLSI M45-3, [Aug 2015 pub date].
8. Bernard, K., A. L. Pacheco, C. McDougall, T. Burdz, D.Wiebe, M. Cnockaert, H. Eguchi, T. Kuwahara, H. Nakayama-Imaohji, H. Shiota, M. Boudewijns, F. Van Hoecke and P. Vandamme. 2014. Corynebacterium lowii and Corynebacterium oculi species nova, derived from Human Clinical Disease and an Emended Description of Corynebacterium mastitidis. Int. J. System. Evol. Microbiol. (submitted July 2014, undergoing revision)
9. Bernard, K and A. L. Pacheco. 2014. In vitro activity of Twenty-Two Antimicrobial Agents against Corynebacterium and Microbacterium species referred to the Canadian National Microbiology Laboratory. Clin Microbiol. Newsl. (Invited manuscript; submitted for review October 2014; revised July 2015)
10. Bell, M. E., K. A. Bernard, S. M. Harrington, T.-A Tucker, M. G. Metcalfe, and J. R. McQuiston. 2015. Lawsonella clevelandensis gen. nov. sp. nov. isolated from human abscesses (to be submitted)
International and National Honours
• Contributions towards elucidating the taxonomy of asporogenous, Gram-positive bacilli were acknowledged in the International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology (1995, IJSB 45:57-60, by Funke et al), designating Coryneform CDC group 2 as Actinomyces bernardiae species novum, reclassified as Arcanobacterium bernardiae (1997IJSB 47:46-53) and Trueperella bernardiae (2011Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 61(Pt 6):1265-74)
• Awarded, the 2015 John G. Fitzgerald – CACMID Award (for Outstanding Microbiologist), at the AMMI-CACMID conference Charlottetown PEI, April 2015 http://www.cacmid.ca/2014/09/2015-nominations-john-g-fitzgerald-cacmid-award-outstanding-microbiologist
• Commemorative Medal for the Golden Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for role in Bioterrorism response (received Dec. 20, 2002 from Lieutenant Governor General for Manitoba P. Liba.) http://www.gg.ca/honour.aspx?id=13790&t=6&ln=Bernard
• Secretary to the International Committee for Systematics of Prokaryotes, Gram Negative anaerobe subcommittee (Member since 1999, Secretary since Feb. 2011)