Application Deadline is January 22, 2021
To promote senior (≥ 3rd yr) undergraduate student engagement, training, and research exposure in medical microbiology and infectious diseases. The Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (MMID) will offer Summer Undergraduate Research Awards of $7,000 each for up to two students to spend 16 weeks (4 months) in an MMID research lab for summer research training and mentorship.
Successful students will receive notification on or before March 19, 2021.
- Full-time undergraduate Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Immunology, or Biochemistry students enrolled in 3rd or 4th year courses:
- Students applying from the University of Manitoba must have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours. Preference will be given to students who have completed at least two of the following courses:
- MBIO 2020 Microbiology II
- MBIO 3010 Mechanisms of Microbial Disease
- MBIO 3030 Microbiology III
- MBIO 4010 Immunology
- MBIO 3410 Molecular Biology
- Students applying from the University of Winnipeg must have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours. Preference will be given to students who completed at least one of the following courses:
- BIOL-1003 Basic & Applied Microbiology
- BIOL-2902 Biology of Bacteria and Archaea (formerly “Biology of the Prokaryotes and Viruses”)
- BIOL-3901 Microorganisms & Disease
- BIOL-3221 Cell biology
- BIOL-4502 Molecular Cell Biology
- BIOL-4501 Developmental Biology
- Students from other universities are welcome to apply but must attach a 300-word description with their application that explains how their current training makes them suitable for a summer research award in MMID. Students must also be located in Manitoba during the summer of 2021.
- All applicants must have a minimum cumulative degree GPA of 3.0 based on all credits completed at the time of the application.
- This award cannot be held in conjunction with other competitive awards, such as the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada’s Undergraduate Research Summer Award.
- Students who will be graduating in the Winter 2021 (May convocation) or Fall 2021 (Oct convocation) terms are eligible for the award.
- Students who hold a Master’s degree are not eligible for this award.
- Co-operative students at the University of Manitoba are eligible to apply.
How to apply:
Interview 2 faculty members, which can include: adjunct, cross-appointed, part-time and full time assistant, associate and full professors from the Department of MMID. Please note, due to COVID-19 physical distancing requirements, all interviews will be conducted virtually using video conference software (please arrange video meetings with each MMID member). To learn more about the research profiles of our department members please review the following link: (http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/units/medical_microbiology/faculty/index2.html)
Download and complete the MMID Undergraduate Research Awards application HERE
Email the completed application form by January 22, 2021 to Dr. Denice Bay <Denice.Bay@umanitoba.ca> with the subject heading “MMID Summer URA application”