Overview - Feasibility Review
- The feasibility review looks at the information in your Research Plan (the Research Proposal and the MCHP Project Feasibility and Data Access Quote Form) to ensure your research project is possible.
- The review is performed by MCHP staff familiar with the Data Access Process and the data in the Data Repository.
- The feasibility review of your research plan usually takes 10 working days.
- If the project is not feasible or requires clarification, you will be contacted by MCHP to discuss alternative solutions or additional information that is required. This may extend the amount of time MCHP requires to review your research plan.
- If the project is feasible, you will receive an e-mail from the MCHP Repository Access Unit (RAU) that contains:
- a formal signed reply from the Associate Director of the Repository confirming that the project is possible, including a "quote letter" estimating the costs of your project - the quote is valid for one year from the date of the letter;
- if necessary, a list of additions or modifications to your research plan. This may include: additional databases you should request for your project, a list of codes / values that can be used to identify specific diagnoses or medical conditions, or other suggestions; and
- a "Next Steps" document that outlines what needs to happen after you acquire funding for your project.
NOTE: The amount of time from the initial submission of the MCHP Project Feasibility and Data Access Quote Form to receipt of all the necessary approvals and permissions will take approximately 4 months.
Overview - Project Funding Confirmation
- Project funding confirmation is required by MCHP prior to the next step in the MCHP Data Access Process - Approvals and Permissions. Please forward a copy of the funding confirmation to MCHP when you have received it.
- Before you submit documentation for any approvals you must have proof of funding in place for your research project.
The required tasks include:
- Cost Estimate Received - MCHP will provide you with an estimate of the costs associated with your project (the "quote letter"), and additional suggestions that should be updated in your proposal and/or the MCHP Project Feasibility and Data Access Quote Form. The cost estimate can be used for grant applications.
- "Next Steps" Document Received - MCHP will also provide you with a document that outlines what needs to happen after you acquire funding for your project, and a list of databases that can be used for the submission of approval documentation.
- Update your Research Plan (if necessary).
- Acquire Funding - if you already have funding in place for your project, please send this information to the MCHP Repository Access Unit (RAU). If not, you will need to explore opportunities and acquire funding for your project.
- Send Confirmation of Funding - send confirmation of funding to the MCHP Repository Access Unit (RAU) prior to moving on to the next step.
More Information - Funding Opportunities
There are additional funding opportunities available for researchers and students, including:
- Funding Support for New Researchers or Research Areas - the MCHP Rady Faculty Research Support Fund provides matching funding to Rady Faculty members. For more information, please read the:
- Evelyn Shapiro Award for Health Services Research - for students only
The next step in the MCHP Data Access Process is Step 5 - Privacy, Ethics & Data Provider Approvals / Permissions.
Page Last Updated: March 3, 2020