Did You File Your Income Tax?
Virtual Tax Clinics
cvitp poster

Even if you make no money, you should file a tax return each year. If you do not file your taxes you CANNOT get government benefits such as those listed here.

Federal benefits are the same for First Nations individuals who are on or off reserve, but individuals must file tax returns to receive them even if they have no income. Different rules apply to provincial tax credits.

Federal Income Tax Credits

  • GST credit - a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals/families with low and modest incomes to offset all or part of the GST or HST they pay. 
  • Canada Workers Benefit (previously Working Income Tax Benefit) - a refundable tax credit that provides tax relief for eligible low income individuals and families who are in the workforce.
  • Canada Child Benefit (CCB)- a tax-free monthly payment to help support your children under age 18. To get the CCB, you have to file your income tax return every year, even if you did not have income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to file a return every year.
    • Apply online at Canada Child Benefit or
    • Complete Form RC66 and send to the Winnipeg Tax Centre, PO Box 14001, Station Main, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 3M3 or
    • Call 1-800-387-1193.
  • Marital Status changes - Let Canada Revenue Agency know if your marital status changes by applying online or by calling 1-800-387-1193. This will make sure your CCB and GST benefits are correctly calculated based on your new situation.
  • Canada Caregiver Credit - Non-refundable tax credit that may be available if you support a spouse or common-law partner or a dependent with a physical or mental impairment.
  • Climate Action Incentive - a refundable tax credit that can be claimed by one person per family.

Manitoba Tax Assistance Office - informs and assists residents on the Manitoba income tax and tax credit programs. Call 204-948-2115 in Winnipeg or toll-free 1-800-782-0771 outside Winnipeg.

Climate Action Incentive

The Climate Action Incentive payment is not income tested which means it is for anyone who resided in Canada for the past year regardless of their income. Climate action incentive payments in Manitoba will be calculated as follows for tax year 2020:

  • $360 for a single adult or the first adult in a couple.
  • $180 for the second adult in a couple. Single parents will receive this amount for their first child.
  • $90 for each child in the family (starting with the second child for single parents).

People will receive this payment as a tax refund (if they owe on their taxes it will be used to reduce the amount they owe) - up to $486 for a family of four living in Manitoba plus a 10% supplement for residents of small and rural communities.

Provincial (MB) Income Tax Credits

Get Help with Your Taxes

Taxes should be filed by the end of April each year; however, you can file your taxes at any time throughout the year. 

Where Can I Find a Free Tax Clinic?


 Examples - See the difference filing taxes can make!
Manitoba credits and benefits summary Federal credits and benefits summary

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada, or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

Canada Revenue Agency offers several online options for filing at E-Services for Individuals. The Netfile option for filing directly with CRA includes a list of free tax software products.



Resources and Benefits

Booklet (2020)

Project summary