Children & Families
Register a Manitoba birth - Vital Statistics Agency - a government program that provides for civil registration in Manitoba. You can complete registration forms at the time of birth in Manitoba or contact the Vital Statistics Agency for information on how to complete your child's birth registration. During registration of your child's birth, you can also apply for a social insurance number for your child and the Canada Child Benefit. Call 204-945-3701 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-866-949-9296.

Evidence of foundational identity (birth certificate) - can be obtained for your child born in Manitoba by submitting an application directly to the Vital Statistics Agency. Evidence of foundational identity is needed to establish your child's legal identity and to access other programs and benefits.

Maintenance Enforcement Program - is set up to monitor and enforce court orders and separation agreements requiring payment of maintenance support to ensure the well-being of children and other dependents. They provide information about involvement and responsibilities as a debtor or as a creditor. Call 204-945-7133 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-866-479-2717 or email

Manitoba Child Benefit Program – monthly financial assistance for low-income families who are NOT on EIA. Also provides help with some of the costs of children’s prescription eyeglasses. Apply online or call 204-948-7368 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-877-587-6224. 

You or your children may be eligible for other benefits in addition to the monthly Canada Child Tax Benefit:

Healthy Baby – a  two-part program that supports pregnant women, new parents, and their babies through:

  • The Manitoba Prenatal Benefit – a financial benefit that helps pregnant women buy healthy food. You must live in Manitoba and have a family income of less than $32,000 to qualify. Call 204-945-1301 (Winnipeg) or Toll-Free 1-888-848-0140.
  • Healthy Baby Community Support Programs – free drop-in groups for pregnant women/their partners/parents with babies under the age of one to get information and support for a healthy pregnancy and baby. Call 204-945-1301 in Winnipeg or toll-free at 1-888-848-0140.

Manitoba Early Learning and Child Care – for help in paying eligible day care costs for low-income parents. Apply online for the subsidy or call 204-945-8195 (in Winnipeg) or toll-free 1-877-587-6224 or email

Canada Education Savings - services and information for parents to help save for their child's education, including Canada Education Savings Grants, Canada Learning Bonds, and Registered Education Savings Plans.

Registered Education Savings Plan - The Government of Canada can help you save for your child's education after high school by putting money into a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP). Money saved in an RESP can be used to pay for expenses related to full-time or part-time studies in a trade school, CEGEP, college, university, or in an apprenticeship program. Opening an RESP is more than just building savings; studies indicate that an RESP can help strengthen a child's aspirations of pursuing and completing a higher education. There are many financial benefits of getting RESPs opened as early as possible. For example, the sooner the CLB begins to be deposited the more interest may be earned. Also, opening the RESP, even if only to deposit the “free” CLB dollars, makes it easier for parents to make contributions at any time if they choose. Visit Canada Education Savings or contact a financial organization of your choice that offers RESPs.

There are two education saving incentives linked to RESPs:

Canada Learning Bond (CLB) - is money for an eligible child born in 2004 or later. An initial $500 is deposited in an RESP, and an additional $100 for every year a child is eligible, depending on the family income, until the age of 15, to a maximum of $2,000. No personal contributions into the RESP are required.

Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) - The Government of Canada provides 20 cents on every dollar contributed to an RESP for an eligible child, up to a yearly maximum of $500. Depending on family income, a child may be eligible for an additional 10% or 20% on the first $500 put into an RESP every year.

Important: Children born after 2004 need a Social Insurance Number to access the CLB and/or Canada Education Savings Grant.

CALL TOLL FREE: 1-866-991-0025
Community members from anywhere in Canada can call ACORN to find out about, and register for, the Canada Learning Bond. ACORN will take basic information from the applicant (using SmartSAVER's portal), and connect them with a bank of their choice to set up a meeting to complete the registration process.

Additional information about the Canada Education Savings Programs

    • RESPs Made Easy - A Smartsaver video - describes the steps involved in starting up an RESP. Also see the SmartSaver website for more on what RESPs offer, how to choose an RESP, and for help in applying online.
    • RESP infographics poster from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) [English] [French]
    • CESG and CLB - Saving for Education: A Little Goes a Long Way  [English] [French] - from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
    • CLB infographics poster - Save for Their Future: from ESDC 8-1/2" x 14" [English] [French] and 8-1/2" x 11" [English] [French
    • Other - Social media [English and French] - Facebook, Twitter, and video links from ESDC providing additional information on setting up RESPs and Canada Learning Bonds.

First Book Canada - helps organizations provide low income children with brand new books and educational resources on an ongoing basis. Books are free to members and are delivered each spring (usually April) to an event in Winnipeg where members can go and pick up the books. The more individuals from your organization that register, the more books you can claim.

ManitobaParentZone - provides parents with resources and information reflecting best practices in health and child/adolescent development. Parents can access helpful tip sheets, ask questions using the "Ask an Expert" feature and learn more about parenting programs and resources available to them.

Futures Forward - a coordinated community-led initiative providing services and resources that address the needs of current and former Youth in Care, ages 15 to 29, including emotional wellbeing, mentorship, and supports for mental health, housing, financial literacy, education, training, and employment. Call 1-888-395-2135.

StressHacks - has information for youth and families to explain stress and help manage it.

Resource Assistance for Youth (RaY) - a non-profit street-level agency working with street-entrenched and homeless youth up to the age of 29. RaY is non-judgmental and non-partisan, employing a harm reduction approach. Call 204-783-5617 or visit 125 Sherbrook Street or email

Pluri-elles - is a non-profit providing services and supports to Manitobans in French, including job searcch, skills development, financial literacy and budgeting, counselling, and healthy development of children and youth. Call 204-233-1735 or Toll-Free 1-800-207-5874 or email

Macdonald Youth Services - Family Navigator Program helps guide families through the numerous therapeutic services available to youth aged 13 to 24 in their brochure and poster. Services for young persons, parents, and caregivers seeking support.



Resources and Benefits

Booklet (2020)

Project summary