The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, the College of Family Physicians of Canada, and the College des medecins due Quebec have partnered together to establish the new Canadian Residency Accreditation Consortium (CanRAC) for Canadian residency education. The new accreditation standards for both the Institutions and Programs.
General Standard of Accreditation for Residency Programs
General Standards of Accreditation for Institutions with Residency Programs
The new conjoint accreditation processes and standards will:
- Align accreditation with educational design of both Triple C (Comprehensive, focused on continuity of education and patient care, and centered in family medicine)
- Align with education continuum
- Align with the Future of Medical Education in Canada (FMEC)
- Increase focus on outcomes while maintaining essential process markers of program and institution quality
PGME will offer multiple approaches to help programs familiarize themselves with, and adopt, the new General Standards of Accreditation for Residency Programs.
Future Accreditation site visits
The on-site visit from the RCPSC and CFPC will take place the week of November 21-26, 2021 for PGME Programs.
Save the Dates!
- January 21, 2020 - PGME Executive Committee meeting - Countdown to Accreditation
- March 10, 2020 - PGME Executive Committee meeting - World Café
- October 15-16, 2020 - PGME External Institution Review
- December 14, 2020 - PGME Accreditation Boot Camp - full day - (Program Administrator, Program Directors, Sections Head’s and Department Head’s are required to attend)
- April 29 - 30, 2021 - CanRAC Pre-Accreditation visit
- September 10, 2021 - Second PGME Accreditation Boot Camp - full day - (Program Administrator, Program Directors, Sections Head’s and Department Head’s are required to attend)
- November 21 - 26, 2021 - CanRac conjoint regular accreditation review
PGME Accreditation Roadmap
Click here to view CanERA frequently Asked Questions.
PGME Accreditation Team
Associate Dean, PGME
Dr Cliff Yaffe
Assistant Dean, PGME Accreditation
Dr Kurt Skakum