See IMPORTANT update due to COVID 19
Trainees from other Institutions Coming to the University of Manitoba
The Max Rady College of Medicine welcomes postgraduate trainees to complete an elective at one of its accredited training programs in the Regional Health Authorities within Manitoba. Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited Postgraduate Medical Education program at another university. All training completed at the University of Manitoba will be evaluated and credited toward their academic requirements at their home institution.
Prior to entering a Shared health facility, external elective trainees are required to:
- be licensed with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM);
- be registered with the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA);
- complete their Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) training;
- complete their Immunization & Communicable Disease Record
International trainees are required to apply for the appropriate Visitor/Study Visa.
How to apply for an External Elective at the UofM
- External Elective trainees must arrange their elective directly with the appropriate Program Assistant/Director 6 months prior to the elective start date.
- Once approved by the receiving Program Director the Program Administrator is required to provide the relevant information supporting the elective to PGME Resident Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once the information is received and verified the CPGME office Resident Administrator will inform CPSM, with a copy to the trainee, of the approved elective.
- Trainees are required to complete the application and submit supporting documentation and payment directly to CPSM 45 days prior to the elective start date.
- Once the application has been reviewed and approved, CPSM will notify both the trainee and the CPGME office who will then inform the receiving program.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If the all documentation is not received and licensure is not confirmed two weeks prior to the start of the elective this will result in cancellation of the elective.
Click HERE for a process map: Applying for a UofM Elective
University of Manitoba Trainees planning an Elective at Another Institution