The Manitoba International Medical Graduate (IMG) Program was created in 2001 in collaboration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM) and Manitoba Health, with a mandate to increase the number of IMGs eligible to practice medicine, particularly in the underserviced rural areas of Manitoba. The IMG program runs competitive and merit-based programs for the orientation, assessment, and education/training of IMGs
Manitoba IMG Program Components
Paths to licensure in Manitoba
- Practice Ready Assessment - Specialty Practice (PRA-SP) (formerly NRSAP) – 1999-present
- Medical Licensure Program for International Medical Graduates (MLPIMG) – 2002-present
- Practice Ready Assessment - Family Practice (PRA-FP) (formerly IMGACL) – 2007-present
- Mentorship – 2007-present
- Orientation – 2008-present
- Medical licensure program for international medical graduates (MLPIMG) trains IMGs to practice and become licensed as a general physician in rural Manitoba
- Practice Ready Assessment - Family Practice (PRA-FP) assesses IMGs so they may practice and become licensed as a general physician in rural Manitoba
- Practice Ready Assessment - Specialty Practice (PRA-SP) assess IMG’s so they may practice and become licensed as a specialist in rural Manitoba.
- Full residency through the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMs), Canada’s national residency matching program, leading to certification as a family physician or specialist.
In addition to being successful in one of the above programs, IMGs must successfully complete the certification examinations of the Medical Council of Canada, the College of Family Physicians of Canada, and/or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in a time frame mandated by the CPSM after commencing practice.
Program statistics from 2002 to present
The admission and selection process was previously conducted through the Physician Resource Coordination Office (PRCO) at Manitoba Health until 2009. IMGACL is conducted through the IMG Program in parallel to the MLPIMG admission process beginning in 2010.
Program statistics from 2007 to present
Program statistics from 1999 to present
Last Updated: January 2018