Programs and Guidelines Committee
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Membership | Term of Members | Meetings | Powers and Duties
The following shall be members of the Academic Programs Committee:
- Vice Provost (Graduate Education) and Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies (chair, non-voting except to break ties);
- Associate Deans, Faculty of Graduate Studies;
- one (1) representative from each of the groups listed below. Normally this representative is the Associate Dean Research or Research Liaison Officer or the Associate Dean Graduate for the Faculty where such a position exists.
- Max Rady Medicine
- one (1) representative from each of the groups listed below chosen by, and in a manner agreeable to the units listed in each group. Normally this representative will be a graduate chair, Associate Dean Research or Research Liaison Officer, or Associate Dean Graduate.
- Agricultural and Food Sciences, Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of the Environment, Earth, and Resources;
- Kinesiology and Recreation Management, I.H. Asper School of Business, Law, Social Work;
- Architecture, Desautels Faculty of Music, School of Art, Université de Saint-Boniface, Graduate Studies;
- Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Rehabilitation Sciences
- one faculty member from each of the areas listed below, selected by the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
- Health Sciences
- Natural and Applied Sciences
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- one (1) member from the Office of Student Advocacy (selected by the Office of Student Advocacy);
- the Director of Libraries, or designate;
- one (1) graduate student selected by the Graduate Students' Association.
Term of Members
The terms of members of the Programs and Guidelines Committee shall be as follows:
- members in categories 'a', 'b', and 'g' are ex-officio with voting privileges;
- members in categories 'c', 'd', and 'e' shall have a one (1) to three (3) year term commencing July 1 of the year of selection; the terms of these members shall be staggered such, as far as possible, that one-thrid of the committee shal be replaced/reappointed each year;
- the graduate student member shall have a one (1) year commencing July 1 of the year of selection; the graduate student member shall be eligible for reappointment.
- Vice Provost (Graduate Education) and Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies (or designate) shall call and preside at all meetings of the Academic Programs Committee;
- the Programs and Guidelines Committee shall normally meet monthly, except in July, August, and December;
- the quorum shall be fifty percent of the members plus one; and
- a staff person appointed by the Vice Provost (Graduate Education) and Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies shall be the secretary (non-voting) of the Academic Programs Committee.
Powers and Duties
Subject to the powers and duties of Faculty Council, the Programs and Guidelines Committee shall:
- review and comment on statements of intent and/or program proposals; provide statements/proposals in sumary form and recommend approval to Executive Committee;
- recommend priority among proposed graduate programs;
- consider and recommend to the Executive Committee the introduction, deletion and modification of graduate courses;
- review, draft as required, and recommend revisions to the Academic Guide (Guidelines, Policies, and Procedures); and
- review and recommend relevant component(s) of a unit's supplemental regulations that contravene minimum requirements of the Faculty of Graduate Studies' Academic Guide.