University of Manitoba

International Student Funding
Please note:
The costs to study in Manitoba vary from $11,000 to $20,000 (Canadian) for a twelve-month period. Normally, Visa students are not allowed to work off campus in Canada. The Faculty of Graduate Studies does not offer Financial Aid (based on need) to students. Students wishing to study in Manitoba should contact the Ministry of Education or the appropriate authority in their own country.
The Board of Governors of the University of Manitoba has approved three awards for international graduate students admitted to a Masterís or Ph.D. program. These awards will be available only to international graduate students studying full-time. International graduate students, whose Grade Point Average for the last two completed years of study is greater than a B+ may be eligible to apply for the following:

International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship (IGSES)
This provides funds only at the time of entry into a graduate program. Allocation of funds based on entrance grade point average being greater than 3.5 in previous two years of study. If eligible, students are assessed automatically during the admission process. (i.e. When a recommended and complete application is received by FGS by the deadline date, FGS staff will calculate the GPA to determine if the student qualifies for the Scholarship.)

International Graduate Student Scholarship (IGSS)
The IGSS provides funds in subsequent years when full tuition fee is required. Funding based on applicant being eligible for, and applying to, UMGF.

International Graduate Student Bursary (IGSB)
This bursary is meant for students admitted prior to May 2005. It will help to provide financial aid in subsequent years when full tuition fee is required. Awarding of this bursary is based on grade point average and verification of need. The bursary is administered by the Financial Aid and Awards Office.

University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF)
The value of these fellowships is $16,000 (Ph.D.) and is $12,000 (Masterís). Application forms for this competition become available at the end of November, and completed applications with official transcripts attached must normally be received by the Department you are applying to by January 15 of the following year. Students are notified of the outcome of this competition in the last two weeks of March and funding begins in September of that year. If you wish to apply for this fellowships, please write the department you are applying to and request that they forward an application form to you when it becomes available for the next competition.

J.W. Dafoe Graduate Fellowship
1 award @ 17,000 (renewable for 1 year) for entering Masters students to the Departments of Political Studies, Economics or History at the University of Manitoba whose research focuses on International Relations. Foreign students must have gained admission to the University of Manitoba prior to applying for this scholarship. Application is made on a University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship application form and must be received in the department 2 to 4 weeks prior to February 1. An additional page outlining a detailed research proposal in the field of international relations must be appended. Applicants must be successful in obtaining a University of a Manitoba Graduate Fellowship before they will be considered for the Dafoe Fellowship.

Teaching and Research Assistantships
These are negotiated through departments. Contact the department to which you are applying for further information and specifics on courses.

The following may also be of help to international students seeking financial assistance to study abroad:

Commonwealth Scholarships
Apply to Commonwealth Scholarships Agency in your home country. The following countries are involved with this program: Australia, India, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. In addition to those countries the following commonwealth countries offer awards in some years: Ghana, Jamaica, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka, Trinidad & Tobago.

Government of Canada Awards
A cultural exchange program with these countries: France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Mexico. Students interested in this program must contact their own government.

Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
This awards is restricted to countries with which Canada has established a bi-lateral agreement. Contact the ministry or department concerned with study and training in your own country.

Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship
For students in a graduate studies program leading to a higher degree in a development-related social science. Must be a national of a World Bank member country and must hold a bachelorís degree or its equivalent in the social sciences, law, business or public administration, or any other development-related technical discipline. Request for application forms can be sent to: JJ/WBGSP Secretariat, Room M4-017, 700 18th St. NW, Washington, DC 20433, U.S.A.

American citizens
American citizens may be eligible for the G.I. Bill of Rights and/or the Higher Education Assistance Plan. Inquire approximately one year in advance to your home Stateís Department of Education.

American citizens are eligible to apply for Fulbright Graduate Scholarships. The value is $15,000 (US) for further information, please contact U.S. Information Agency, Institute of International Education, U.S. Student Programs, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017-0000. Phone (212) 984-5330

Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships
Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of an OAS member country, with a university degree or who have demonstrated ability to pursue advanced studies in the field chosen. OAS member States are: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic, St. Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela. Candidates must know the language of the study country. Application forms should be obtained the National Liaison Office (ONE) in the applicantís country of origin. Applications should be presented sufficiently in advance with all the required documentation. The deadline for presentation of applications to National Liaison office (ONE) differs from country to country and should therefore be confirmed with the relevant ONE in the applicantís country of origin.