Graduate Program: Current Students

Registration for courses

  • At the beginning of each Fall Term (or whenever a new student begins), students need to fill out a Graduate Registration Approval Form and get it approved by their advisor(s) and the Department Head. A hold is placed on their account until this form is handed into the Graduate Program Coordinator, who will lift the hold, allowing the student to register for both Fall and Winter terms. All students should ensure that there are no other “holds” preventing registration by logging into Aurora Student and viewing their accounts.

Progress Reports

  • Each student is required to submit a one to two page report on his/her thesis proposal, results and timetable of thesis work by February 1 annually. This is a departmental requirement. The student is responsible for initiating this report and submitting the report to the Graduate Program Coordinator for review by the Department Head and Graduate Chair.
  • In addition, the Faculty of Graduate Studies mandates at least one Progress Report annually by June 1st. The Advisor is responsible for arranging a meeting of the Advisory Committee with the student and completing the form. Committee members and student sign the form and return it to the Graduate Program Coordinator for review by the Department Head and Graduate Chair. Failure of an on-campus student to attend the majority of Graduate Seminars annually and give a Seminar annually will be noted on the Progress Report and may have an impact on whether progress is deemed acceptable. 

Policies and Procedures

Funding and Awards

  • New students, particularly those who do not hold a major external scholarship or bursary, are notified by the Department of a research assistantship upon acceptance. It is anticipated, however, that all eligible students will continue to apply for other sources of funding, e.g., Tri-Council awards, University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships.
  • Newly accepted international students are automatically assessed for the International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship (IGSES). International Ph.D. students may apply for an International Graduate Student Scholarship (IGSS) for the second year of the program. Further information on international awards is available from the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
  • Check your e-mail regularly. The Department receives information on awards from external organizations and associations and will forward these to our graduate student e-mail list. In addition, the Faculty of Graduate Studies notifies students by e-mail of various awards and deadlines.
  • Students who are eligible for Tri-Council awards (e.g. NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships) should apply. Information on these awards may be found at:
  • Refer to the Faculty of Graduate Studies Awards Database for information on other scholarship opportunities.
  • Many of our students apply for a U of Manitoba Graduate Student Travel Award.  

Important on-line documents and resources

Celia Mellinger
Graduate Program and Alumni Coordinator
Phone: 204-474-6183
440 Wallace Building

Zou Zou Kuzyk
Graduate Chair
Phone: 204-292-1535
529 Wallace Building