Letter of Permission

If you are in a degree program at the UM, you may take courses at other recognized colleges or universities for transfer of credit if you apply for a Letter of Permission (LOP).  

  • Advance approval by the Faculty of Arts (Arts Academic Advisor) is required.
  • Enrolling in courses at an external institution without having received approval is effectively leaving the University of Manitoba and may result in the requirement to re-apply for admission to the University of Manitoba, Faculty of Arts.

Before you take the course(s)
Check the Transfer Credit Equivalencies database: https://aurora.umanitoba.ca/banprod/ksstransequiv.p_trans_eq_main

  • The Transfer Credit Equivalencies database is for reference only and reflects courses previously assessed for transfer credit to the University of Manitoba.
  • You will find it helpful to consult the Transfer Credit Equivalencies database when choosing courses; however just because a course has been deemed equivalent to a UM course or has been awarded unallocated credit, does not mean it is applicable to your degree program.
  • If you have any questions about how a course(s) transfers to the University of Manitoba and if it will fit in your academic plan, please do not hesitate to contact an Arts Academic Advisor.
    • Be cautions of your degree Residency Requirements (Academic Calendar – Faculty of Arts – Section 5.3).
    • If you are an student in the B.A. Honours program, it is expected that the course(s) you are requesting on LOP must first be approved by your Honours field Department before the LOP can be considered.

Applying for a Letter of Permission
Applying to take courses on Letter of Permission is a process that is administered by the Registrar’s Office. Please follow the instructions on their website to submit your application: http://umanitoba.ca/registrar/letter-permission

Determination of a Letter of Permission
After you have submitted your application, your request will be reviewed by an Arts Academic Advisor and an official Letter of Permission will be issued to you by the Registrar’s Office.

  • The Faculty of Arts and the Registrar’s Office make every effort to process LOP requests in a timely manner, but it may take 4 – 6 weeks to receive your approved LOP documentation; please ensure to monitor your UM email address regularly.
  • The process will take longer (up to 8 weeks) if the course(s) you are requesting must be evaluated for equivelency at the UM.
  • You may take a combined UM/LOP maximum of 15 credit hours per term in Fall and Winter, and a maximum of 18 credit hours in the Summer term.

Approval of Letter of Permission
Normally, you may not register for courses at another university until you have received the official approved LOP. You may only register for courses that have been approved, as indicated by ‘YES’ beside the course number.

  • Please review your Statement of Transfer Credit in Aurora. This page will show you the course(s) you have requested at the external institution and how they will be transferred to the UM. If there are any discrepencies in the information you are viewing from what you had requested on your LOP application, please contact the Registrar’s Office.
  • Please read carefully any Notes provided by the Arts Academic Advisor who reviewed and approved your request for LOP (you will see the Note near the bottom of your approved LOP). If the Arts Academic Advisor had suggestions or concerns, these will be indicated in a Note, similarly an explanation for any denied requests may be provided in a Note as well.

Enrollment and Grades from Letter of Permission
When you are enrolled in courses at an external institution, you must follow their administrative policies and deadlines. For any questions about these, you must consult with that institution directly.  

  • If you choose not to take some or all of the courses you applied to take on a LOP, you must still provide a transcript or Letter of Non-Enrolment to verify this. Failure to do so will result in “F” grades being assigned to any courses for which you have not provided a transcript.
  • If you fail or withdraw from a course taken on a LOP and plan to repeat it at the same or another external institution, you must apply for a new LOP application for each attempt. Permission is given for the specific term for which you applied, and will not be extended without a new application for a LOP.   
  • Courses taken on LOP are loaded on Aurora to the term in which they will be finished. This may not always accurately reflect when you are actively completing the course, and may have implications for determining full time study or for graduation. Please speak to an Arts Academic Advisor if you have concerns about this. International students are strongly advised to consult the International Centre as there may be implications for study/work permit eligibility.
  • If you are graduating, final official transcripts must be received by the following dates:
    • January 30 for February Graduation,
    • April 30 for May Graduation,
    • September 30 for October Graduation.
  • Transcripts not received by these dates may cause graduation to be delayed until the next Graduation period.  

These policies are in place to protect you from taking unnecessary courses, to keep your degree on track, and to maintain the integrity of degrees awarded by the UM.

Letter of Permission Contact Information:
Registrar's Office
400 University Centre
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada
Phone: 204-474-9420 Fax: 204-269-1065
Email: Letter.of.Permission@umanitoba.ca
Website: http://umanitoba.ca/registrar/letter-permission