Associate Professor (PhD British Columbia)
Field of Specialization: Canadian Politics
- Political Parties
- Municipal Politics
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Koop, Royce, and Laura Conrad. Forthcoming. Gender and the Policy Priorities of Canadian City Councillors. Journal of Women, Politics & Policy.
- Bastien, Frederick, Royce Koop, Tamara A. Small, Thierry Giasson, and Harold Jansen. Forthcoming. The role of online technologies and digital skills in the political participation of citizens with disabilities. Journal of Information Technology & Politics.
- Blidook, Kelly, and Royce Koop. 2019. Observing Representation: Participant observation with elected officials. SAGE Research Methods Cases.
- Farney, James, and Royce Koop. 2018. Auditing Party Democracy: The case of Canadian party constituency associations. Commonwealth & Comparative Politics 56(1): 84-102.
- Breux, Sandra, Jerome Couture, and Royce Koop. 2017. Turnout in Local Elections: Evidence from Canadian Cities, 2004-2014. Canadian Journal of Political Science 15(3): 699-722.
- Koop, Royce, and John Kraemer. 2016. Wards, At-Large Systems and the Focus of Representation in Canadian Cities. Canadian Journal of Political Science 49(3): 433-448.
- Koop, Royce. 2016. Institutional and Individual-Level Influences on Service Representation and Casework in Canadian Cities. Urban Affairs Review 52(5): 808-831.
- Koop, Royce, and Campbell Sharman. 2015. National Party Structure in Parliamentary Federations: Subcontracting Electoral Mobilization in Canada and Australia. Commonwealth & Comparative Politics 53(2): 177-196.
- Koop, Royce. 2014. Elite-Activist Relationships in Political Parties: A Social Exchange Analysis of Canadian Parties. Representation, 50(2): 259-270.
- Koop, Royce. 2012. The Unanticipated Consequences of Fewer Politicians: Bill 81, Federalism and Constituency Party Organization in Ontario. Canadian Public Policy 38(4): 515-529.
- Koop, Royce and Alex Marland. 2012. Insiders and Outsiders: Presentation of Self on Canadian Parliamentary Websites and Newsletters. Policy and Internet, 4(3-4): 112-135.
- Koop, Royce. 2012. Party Constituency Associations and the Service, Policy, and Symbolic Responsiveness of Canadian Members of Parliament. Canadian Journal of Political Science 45(2): 359-378.
- Koop, Royce, and Amanda Bittner. 2011. Parachuted into Parliament: Candidate Nomination, Appointed Candidates, and Legislative Roles in Canada. Journal of Elections, Public Opinion, and Parties 21(4): 431-452.
- Koop, Royce. 2011. UK Devolution and Constituency Association Adaptation in Scotland and Wales. Representation 47(1): 85-97.
- Koop, Royce. 2010. Professionalism, Sociability, and the Liberal Party in the Constituencies. Canadian Journal of Political Science, 43,(4): 893-913.
- Koop, Royce, and Harold J. Jansen. 2009. Partisan Blogs and Blogrolls in Canada: Forums for Democratic Deliberation? Social Science Computer Review 27(2): 155-173.
- Jansen, Harold J., and Royce Koop. 2005. Pundits, Ideologues, and Ranters: The British Columbia Election Online. Canadian Journal of Communication 30(4): 613-632.
- Koop, Royce. 2004. Federal-Provincial Voting and Federal Integration in the Fourth Canadian Party System. Federal Governance, 4.
Peer Reviewed Chapters
- Farney, James, and Royce Koop. 2017. Ideology, Strategy, and Organization in the Conservative Party of Canada. The Blueprint: Conservative Parties and Their Impact on Canadian Politics, eds. J.P. Lewis and Joanna Everett. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Koop, Royce. 2015. Politicians and Local Party Organizations: A Delegation Approach. Parties and Party Systems: Structure and Context, eds. Richard Johnston and Campbell Sharman. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- Koop, Royce. 2014. Parties and Brokerage Politics in Newfoundland & Labrador. First Among Unequals: The Premier, Politics, and Policy in Newfoundland & Labrador, eds. Alex Marland and Matthew Kerby. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Giasson, Thierry, Harold Jansen, and Royce Koop. 2014. Hypercitizens: Blogging, Partisanship and Political Participation in Canada. Political Communication in Canada, eds. Alex Marland and Thierry Giasson. Vancouver: UBC Press.
Back to Faculty main page