PhD (University of Manitoba)
Department Head / Professor
**For general enquiries regarding course or program information, please contact Erin Parsons in the Economics General Office at (204) 474-9702 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternately, for program planning, please visit UM Achieve:
UM Achieve Tutorial:
Phone: (204) 474-9274
Department of Economics
University of Manitoba
502 Fletcher Argue Building
15 Chancellors Circle
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 5V5
Fields of Specialization
- Political Economy
- Ethical Consumption
- Sustainable Development
- (2021) with Mark Hudson. Consumption Polity Press
- (2019) with Robert Chernomas and Mark Hudson. Neoliberal Lives: Work, Politics, Nature, and Health in the Contemporary United States Manchester University Press
- (2017) with Robert Chernomas. The Profit Doctrine: Economists of the Neoliberal Period. Pluto Press.
- (2016) with Robert Chernomas. Economics in the Twenty-First Century: A Critical Perspective. University of Toronto Press.
- (2013) with Mark Hudson and Mara Fridell. Fair Trade, Sustainability, and Social Change. Palgrave Macmillan.
- (2013) with Robert Chernomas. To Live and Die in America: Class, Power, Health and Healthcare. Pluto Press.
- (2010) with Robert Chernomas. The Gatekeeper: Sixty Years of Economics According to the New York Times. Paradigm Publishers.
- (2007) with Robert Chernomas. Social Murder and Other Shortcomings of Conservative Economics. Arbeiter Ring Publishing.
- (2019) with Robert Chernomas. "Omission and Commission in the Development Economics of Daron Acemoglu and Esther Duflo," Canadian Journal of Development Studies.
- (2019) with Anupam Das, Mara Fridell, and Mark Hudson. "Do governments matter? Provincial policy and redistribution in two Canadian provinces, 1990-2010," Review of Social Economy
- (2019) with Anupam Das and Mark Hudson. "Was There a Transformation in Economic Ideology Between 1960 and 2000?" Studies in Political Economy
- (2017) with Robert Chernomas. "Genetics vs. history: competing explanations of uneven development," Cambridge Journal of Economics, 1 of 16.
- (2013) with Mark Hudson and Jason D. Edgerton. "Political Consumerism in Context: An Experiment on Status and Information in Ethical Consumption Decisions," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 72(4).
- (2013) with Robert Chernomas. "Steven Levitt on Abortion and Crime: Old Economics in New Bottles," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 72(3).
- (2010) with Robert Chernomas. "Inequality as a Case of Social Murder," International Journal of Health Services, 40(1).
- (2008) with Mara Fridell and Mark Hudson. "With Friends Like These: The Corporate Response to Fair Trade," Review of Radical Political Economics, 40(1).
- (2003) with Mark Hudson. "Removing the Veil? Commodity Fetishism, Fair Trade, and the Environment," Organization & Environment, 16(4), December.
- (2002) "Sabotage versus Public Choice: Sports as a Case Study for Interest Group Theory," Journal of Economic Issues, 36(4), December.