Policies and Procedures











    Keys & Building Security
    Bev Godard, Plant Science General Office (Room 222), is responsible for key distribution.  A deposit of $25.00 is required.  The deposit is refunded upon return of all keys.  Guard your keys with care!  They are for your use only and are not to be used by unauthorized persons.  All outside doors should remain locked during evenings, weekends and holidays.  Your office should remain locked at all times.

    Office Supplies
    Basic office supplies are available from the Plant Science General Office.  Supplies required for research purposes are to be purchased using your supervisor's research funds.  However, students are expected to pay for their own resource materials required for the classes they are taking.

    Dial 4 to get an outside telephone line.  Only the last four digits are required to university calls beginning with 474.  In the event of an emergency, call 911 directly.  The Campus Security emergency number is 555 from a University phone, #555 from a cell phone.

    Long distance calls can be made directly through academic office telephones and those in the Plant Science General Office.  If you need to make a long distance call from another phone in the building, the Receptionist in the Plant Science General Office (Room 222), can place the call and transfer it to you.

    Bev Godard, Plant Science General Office (Room 222) will assign you a code to access the photocopier.  This is not to be shared, and is only for copying essential to your research.  Personal photocopies can be purchased through the Plant Science General Office.

    Parking for staff and students is available at various sites around the University of Manitoba Fort Garry Campus.  Application can be made through the Parking Office in the Welcome Centre, 423 University Crescent.  Please note that there is no free parking anywhere on campus, including at "the Point".  A valid parking pass must be displayed and you must park in designated parking stalls.  No parking pass is required at the Carman facility.

    Vehicle Use
    Departmental or appropriate research program approval must be arranged prior to use.  A valid Canadian driver's license is required before driving any Plant Science vehicle. A general walk around the vehicle should be performed before each use.  This should include inspection of tires, lights, fluid leaks and over-all vehicle appearance.  As well, with each fueling, all fluid levels should be checked for safe operating levels.  Each vehicle has a blue log book in it where mileage in and mileage out as well as reason for trip, date and driver name should be recorded.  Any tickets received (parking tickets, speeding tickets etc.) are the sole responsibility of the driver.

    User Responsibilities of Field Equipment
    Prior to usage, departmental or appropriate research program approval must be arranged.  A general walk around equipment should be undertaken prior to each operation.  This inspection should include checking all necessary fluids for safe levels of operation, belts or other moving parts for excessive wear or damage, and tire inflation.  Pre-operational maintenance should include lubrication of all wear points as required, cleaning radiator screen/radiator, and air filter if required.  Any malfunction or damage noticed in the inspection or incurred during equipment operation should be reported as soon as possible.

    Working Alone
    Refer to:

    Working Alone Policy or Rm. XXX Agriculture Building
    Work involving hazardous material(s) or open source radioisotopes shall be done during regular work hours.
    Requirements if you are working alone outside of regular work hours:

    1. Make sure someone else knows that you are here and the type of work you are performing (supervisor, friend, relative, spouse).
    2. Let your contact know how long you expect to be here and call them when you are leaving.  If you are working alone for a long period of time, ask your contact to call you if they have not heard from you by a specified time.
    3. Make sure your contact knows the phone number for Security Services (474-9341) plus the phone number in the lab (474-XXXX) or your cell phone number.

    The Safewalk Program is available at 474-9341.  A security services officer will provide a safe walk to your car or other building.

    In the event of an emergency, call 911.  The Emergency Phone Number on Campus is 555.

    If using your cell phone, it is #555.



                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Top of Page


    Handling & Storage of Samples
    All samples to be handled or stored at "The Point" must have proper identification labels attached.  Label information must include:  research program and individual contact names, materials enclosed with date of entry.  All samples to be stored must be placed in mouse proof containers.

    Vernalization Room, Freezers
    The use of cold rooms/freezers (rooms 008A-008E inclusive, plus rooms 192 and 193) requires that anything placed in these rooms be identified with the user's name and the anticipated finish date.

    Safety Checklist
    Technicians are to refer to the following safety checklist during orientation of new students to ensure all areas of safety have been discussed:

    • Emergency eye wash stations
    • First aid kits and where to replenish them
    • Emergency phones
    • Fire extinguishers
    • Emergency exits
    • Appropriate working attire, sunscreen, hat, etc.
    • Location of this orientation handbook

    Administrative Paperwork

    The University of Manitoba uses an electronic procurement system called “EPIC” which is how we make essentially all of our purchases.  Please contact Jackie in the Plant Science general office, or send orders to psorders@umanitoba.ca and be sure to include your supervisor’s name and valid fund number.  Please note that all purchases are to be approved by your supervisor prior to the purchase.  Please ask questions prior to your purchase.  Jackie (or The Order Desk) will be able to assist you.

    Petty cash is discouraged but allowed in certain circumstances (up to a maximum of $50, cash or debit card purchases only).  The original receipt is required and must indicate method of payment.  Contact Bev in Plant Science general office for petty cash reimbursement. 
    Credit card purchases must be claimed by you through CONCUR.

    Travel Policies & Procedures The University of Manitoba Travel/Expense protocol for all U of M staff is called Concur.  You must apply for access and get training before you will be allowed to use the new system.   Students who travel do not use the Concur system and should familiarize themselves with the policy below and see Amanda or Allison in the general office for assistance with processing a claim. General travel policies and procedures are explained at the following address on the University of Manitoba website: 
    and it is to your advantage to familiarize yourself with them. Travel expenses are reimbursed to you by direct deposit. Allow approximately two weeks for processing once the claim is made and been submitted to administration. For department policies, please follow these procedures:

    • To register for a conference or workshop - fill out the registration form and submit it to Amanda along with a copy of the conference particulars and a valid research fund.   If the registration cannot be paid by VISA, make sure to allow 2 weeks for processing of a cheque by Purchasing Services.
    • To purchase a plane ticket: All full time staff who are set up in Concur should be booking their own flights through Concur.  If the flight is international, please contact Carlson Wagonlit Travel at 1-866-855-9850 and they will assist you.  For students: Please see Amanda/Allison in the general office  before booking your flight.  Flights can be booked  either by Amanda/Allison, through Carlson Wagonlit, or on your own, however, then you must pay for it up front and be reimbursed once the travel is complete.  Please see Amanda/Allison for assistance and how to proceed before confirming your flights.   Make sure you retain all your flight documentation (ticket, itinerary, e-ticket, boarding passes) as these documents must be turned in after your trip when you submit your travel claim information.

    To claim reimbursement for travel expenses, check with your supervisor on whether you will be required to keep your meal receipts or claim a daily per diem.  Keep all expense receipts (meals, taxis, accommodation) related to your trip. On your return, either a Concur Claim must be submitted (if you are academic or support staff)  or a Travel Claim form must be submitted as soon as possible.  Attach all your receipts and have your supervisor sign their approval, then submit it to Amanda/Allison. Supply as much information about your trip as possible, including whether you shared lodging, paid for another person's expenses, etc.. If you did not travel by plane, supply information on the transportation you used including mileage and exact route. If by private car, we require the vehicle information as well as a corresponding lowest economy airfare (you will only be reimbursed to this point).  If you did not have accommodation expenses, an explanation must be included.

    The University of Manitoba

    Appointment forms should be processed two weeks prior to your start date.  This includes a Personal Information Form as well as a Direct Deposit Authorization which requests your banking information.  We know that this time line is not always possible, but keep in mind that your first payment may be delayed if this information is not received in time.  Please see Allison Paulusma in the Plant Science general office (Room 222) to both receive the forms and to provide the required information to initiate the appointment.

    Student and support staff hourly employee timesheets must be completed, approved by your supervisor and submitted weekly to pspayroll@umanitoba.ca before 10:00am on Fridays.

    Bi-weekly staff must report any extra hours worked or time off (i.e. vacation, overtime, banked time, doctor appointment, sick time, etc.) by completing a timesheet to be submitted to pspayroll@umanitoba.ca before 10:00am on Fridays. 

    Change of Address or Marital Status
    Your address can be updated using the new Employee Self Service website which is accessed through JUMP.   Also, if you could please notify  Allison Paulusma that you have made a change so we may update your personnel file in this office.

    Overtime (for those paid on an hourly basis)
    Overtime must be requested/approved by your academic supervisor prior to working the overtime. Non-union staff (student positions) receive a rate of 1.5 times your regular salary or time off in lieu of pay. This should be agreed upon with your academic supervisor prior to any overtime being worked. Please ensure that a complete detailed log of overtime accumulated is submitted weekly.

    Overtime (for those paid on a bi-weekly basis)
    Overtime must be requested/approved by your academic supervisor prior to working the overtime. Unionized staff (AESES support staff) receive a rate of 2 times your regular salary or time off in lieu of pay. This should be agreed upon with your academic supervisor prior to any overtime being worked. Should payment be required, please submit the approval and hours to Amanda Bonne or Allison Paulusma. Please note that this should be completed within the pay period where the overtime was worked (or as soon as possible).

    Time Off
    Whenever time from work is missed (sickness, doctor appointments, vacation or banked  time, funerals etc.) your academic supervisor as well as Amanda Bonne or Allison Paulusma in the Plant Science General Office must be notified as soon as possible. Notification should be prior to time taken off or, for sick time, given as early in the day as possible.

    Top of Page


    Keys and Building Security
    Bev Godard, (Room 222, Plant Science General Office), is responsible for key distribution.  Graduate students will receive general access keys, keys for specific labs and personal office keys.  A deposit of $35 is required.  The deposit is refunded upon return of all keys.  Guard your keys with care!  They are for your use only!  All outside doors should remain locked during evenings, weekends and holidays.  Your office should remain locked at all times.

    Office Space
    Graduate students whose research is conducted in the Department of Plant Science or at one of its research facilities will be assigned an office in the department.  Normally, students conducting their research at an Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada facility will have an office there.

    All students (except those who are unable to regularly visit the department) will have a mailbox in the Graduate Lounge (Room 153).  Much of the correspondence is sent electronically, so please check your e-mail regularly.  If you haven’t received anything from the department recently, confirm that your e-mail is working.  Check with Bev Godard (Plant Science General Office, 222 Agriculture) to ensure that you haven’t missed messages.

    Only your UofM e-mail address will be used for Departmental and University correspondence.

    Use of labs and lab materials must be authorized by those in charge of the lab.

    Faculty of Graduate Studies Academic Guide at

    Plant Science Supplemental Regulations

    Plant Science Graduate Student Handbook

    Courses and Registration
    To learn about courses and registration procedures, access the University of Manitoba Graduate Calendar at http://www.umanitoba.ca/calendar, and the Aurora Student registration system.

    Committee Meeting Guidelines

    Thesis Guidelines

    Plant Science Thesis Guidelines

    Candidacy Examination Guidelines
    Supplementary Regulations and Guidelines for Candidacy Examinations supplement or reinforce those found in the University of Manitoba Graduate Calendar http://www.umanitoba.ca/calendar  and in the Faculty of Graduate Studies Academic Guide  http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/publications/index.html

    Inappropriate Use of Degree Designation
    A degree designation for an M.Sc. or Ph.D. student is not allowed until the degree is conferred upon them.  Any misrepresentation of a degree designation by a student will be viewed as a type of fraud.  If a student wishes to indicate their status, they may consider using the designation "Ph.D. Student" or M.Sc. Student".

    Top of Page


    Safety Checklist for New Personnel Plant Science and the Point

    Laboratory Safety Checklist for New Lab Personnel Biosafety

    Plant Science Field Biosecurity Protocol (v. May 10, 2016)

    Please take the time to learn the location of fire extinguishers, eye wash stations, showers, emergency exits, and telephones (emergency #555) in your area.
    Wear personal protective equipment as outlined in the MSDS sheets. Example: wear safety goggles, lab coats, gloves ( nitrile gloves offer more protection than latex gloves).  Do not wear gloves outside your lab area.  If you need to transport an item outside of your lab, then only one hand may be gloved, the other hand must be bare to open doors, press elevator buttons etc..
    Work in flow hoods when using organic chemicals or concentrated acids or bases.
    Whenever a chemical comes in contact with skin, wash promptly with water. Seek medical attention if required.
    Do not wear contact lenses when working with chemicals as fumes can be trapped between the lens and eye.
    Do not eat or drink in areas where chemicals are used or stored.
    Pipette tips and broken glass must be placed in a hard sided container (e.g. cardboard box) for disposal.
    Each research unit has been supplied with a Chemical Spill Kit. Specific information on how to handle a chemical spill can be found at http://www.umanitoba.ca/admin/human_resources/ehso/media/HazChemicalSpills.pdf
    Further information is available from the  www.umanitoba.ca/campus/health_and_safety

    WHMIS and MSDS
    All research units are required to operate under the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS). WHMIS is designed to make the workplace safer by providing you with information about the materials you work with. This is done by Chemical Supplier labels, Workplace labels and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).

    UMLearn Instructions for WHMIS

    Each research unit should have a copy of the University of Manitoba WHMIS handbook. An online version is available at: http://umanitoba.ca/admin/human_resources/ehso/media/WHMISHandbook2008Web080721.pdf

    Before working with a chemical, be aware of its specific hazards and of any precautions you should take in handling and disposal. This information can be found in the MSDS sheets. Web links for MSDS sheets can be found at: http://umanitoba.ca/admin/vp_admin/risk_management/ehso/chemical_safet/WHMISProgram.html

    On-line WHMIS 2015 Power Point Presentation and on-line test.

    Chemical Inventory Lists
    It is the responsibility of each research unit to maintain and post a chemical inventory list and to train all members of the group in specific safety procedures. The chemical inventory list is maintained by EHSO and is located at:
    Each research group requires its own User Id and Password to login to the database.  Contact EHSO to obtain this.

    Chemical Disposal in Plant Science
    There is a bucket in room 333 (Dark Room) for the disposal of gels containing ethidium bromide.
    Waste Organic chemicals:  Must be poured into a labelled waste bottle.
    Waste Acids and Bases:  Must be poured into separate, labelled, waste containers. DO NOT mix the two.
    When waste containers are full, contact the Safety Office (474-6316) for removal.
    Information on what is hazardous waste, how to dispose of it and the forms required are located at 

    Disposal of Broken Glass and Sharps
    'Broken Glass Disposal' boxes must contain ONLY non-contaminated broken glass or sharps
    .  This does not include needles, syringes, razor and scalpel blades.  The boxes are to be filled to the 3/4 full mark and then closed securely with tape and left for caretaking staff.

    All needles, syringes, razor and scalpel blades must be discarded in a puncture-resistant sharps container, labeled with the appropriate hazard, and segregated as biological, chemical or non-contaminated waste.  The containers are to be filled to the 3/4 full mark.  These containers are to be discarded ONLY through the EHSO Hazardous Waste Program, call 474-6633.

    Procedures for Handling Plants with Novel Traits (PNT's) in the Greenhouse
    The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) requires that all PNT's be contained and destroyed using methods that prevent their release into the environment.  The following is a list of principles and procedures to be followed when working with PNT's in the greenhouse.

    1. Isolation - PNT's should be reproductively isolated from all other same species plants.  This can be done in several ways such as timing, separation and/or bagging.
    2. PNT's need to be clearly labeled with their own readily identifiable labels.
    3. The plant material and seed should be kept in the building at all times and in the greenhouse as much as possible.
    4. Any PNT material should be clearly dead before discarding.  For the vegetative materials, thorough drying and/or a herbicide spray followd by sufficient time to ensure that the plants are dead is adequate.  Alternatively, plants can be autoclaved for 60 minutes.
    5. Any PNT seed must be kept contained to the building and/or greenhouse.
    6. The Harvesting of PNT's should be done with great care in the greenhouse to ensure that seed does not escape.  Thresh the plants over a plastic sheet to ensure that PNT seed does not go astray.  The floor should be swept up at the end of harvesting the plants and these sweepings collected for autoclaving in clearly marked bags.
    7. The pots that have grown PNT's should be thoroughly watered and retained in the greenhouse for 2 weeks to verify that no PNT seeds have fallen into the pots.  If any similar plants emerge, they will be killed manually or with herbicides, as appropriate.

    Protocol for Handling Foreign Fungal Cultures
    This protocol is only valid for fungal pathogens that do not have profuse sporulation, such as powdery mildews, rust, Penicillium or Botrytis sp.

    1. When working with any culture and especially foreign fungal cultures, all containers (Petri plates, tubes, flasks) used for storage or inoculum increase must be labeled and dated.
    2. All cultures and leftover inoculum must be autoclaved, when no longer needed.
    3. All containers, equipment and surfaces which come in contact with the fungus are autoclaved or sterilized with concentrated bleach solutions (or 95% ethanol).
    4. Inoculation of plants, if performed, is generally done in winter in growth cabinets/rooms.
    5. Infected seedlings and growing media are systemically autoclaved prior to disposal.
    6. Foreign cultures must be stored in safe areas, away from public access.  The use of -80 freezers is recommended if it is compatible with the survival of the organism.

    Chemical Storage
    Flammable and combustible liquids must be stored in containers no larger than 4 litres and stored in a vented flammable storage cabinet.
    Acids and Bases must be stored in separate cabinets.
    There is a hand pump for dispensing ethanol from 25 L containers into smaller bottles located in room 334.
    Transport liquid chemicals in a safety container or rubber bucket.
    Further information can be found at http://umanitoba.ca/admin/vp_admin/risk_management/ehso/chemical_safety/WHMISProgram.html

    Use of radioactive chemicals is done under the authorization of an Internal Radioisotope Permit issued to a permit holder or responsible user by the Environmental Health and Safety Office of the University of Manitoba. The EHSO website http://umanitoba.ca/admin/vp_admin/risk_management/ehso/chemical_safety/WHMISProgram.html has information and links to all aspects of radiochemical usage including permit application, training, ordering radiochemicals, waste disposal, ad laser use.  The permit holder may designate a Laboratory Radiation Supervisor to carry out daily duties and responsibilities regarding radioisotope procedures.  People permitted to work with radioactive material are to be listed as Designated Workers on the laboratory's permit and are to undergo training.  For people working in areas where radioactive material is permitted, there is information available that they may be aware of precautions for working nearby such materials.

    Each laboratory having an internal permit for use of radioisotopes is to have a Radiation Safety Manual available which includes information on radiation theory and procedures for open source permits. Such information/procedures include the permit itself, maintenance of inventory records, contamination monitoring and recording, handling of radioisotopes, response to emergency situations involving reporting the incident, securing the affected area, and decontamination of work space and personnel,  and waste disposal of solids and liquids. http://www.umanitoba.ca/admin/human_resources/ehso/rad_safety/RadERProcedures.html

    For further information, refer to the Radiation Safety Manual, or contact Doug Durnin (474-6064). The Safety Office can be contacted by telephone (789-3613 or 474-6633) or by e-mail (radsafe@cc.umanitoba.ca)

    Top of Page



    Building Alarm System
    The main building is equipped with a security alarm system that is set at the end of each working day and weekends.  Do not enter this building when locked after hours, weekends and holidays unless you have been assigned an access code and have been instructed in lockup and alarm procedures.  When an alarm is triggered, Campus Security will notify the R.C.M.P. and Carman Research Station Manager, Alvin Iverson or Agricultural Attendant Jim Dunn, who will respond to the intrusion alarm.

    To qualify for a Carman Building Alarm Access Code You Must:

    1. Be a Plant Science or Campus Manitoba staff member, graduate or summer student who has demonstrated that their work requires access to the building outside regular working hours and weekends.
    2. Have been issued a building staff entrance key from the Department of Plant Science (contact Bev Godard 474-8563 regarding keys).
    3. Obtain a user identification code and pin number, training in lockup and alarm procedures and demonstrate he or she can turn the alarm system off and on without triggering an alarm.  (Contact Alvin Iverson, Carman Station Manager (204) 745-3944).  During the training session, individuals will be asked to create their own confidential PIN number.  PIN numbers are NOT to be shared or given to others to use.  NOTE:  Summer student access codes will be removed from the system in September when employment is complete.  Graduate student access codes are removed from the system in November at the end of the growing season.

    Lockup Procedures
    At the end of each work day:

    • Equipment is to be turned off (example: fan, computers, scales, fume hoods).
    • Tools and equipment are to be returned to their proper or assigned location.
    • Keys are to be removed from all vehicles and field equipment, and placed on the labeled hook in the key cupboard located above the sink in the shop (room 125) of the main building. 
    • Vehicle windows are to be closed and doors locked.  Tools are not to be left in the back of trucks overnight, weekends, and/or holidays.
    • Power to bulk fuel tank gas and diesel pumps are to be turned off (Building #9).
    • Doors in all buildings are to be locked and secure.
    • Determine if you are the last person to leave the Main building and who will activate the alarm security system.

    NOTE:  Keys are to be returned to the key cupboard each day or when you are finished using them so the next person to use that piece of equipment will be able to find it.  If you take a key home by mistake or find a key missing, contact Alvin Iverson (204) 745-3944, cell: (204) 745-8642, as soon as possible so a spare key can be put in place until the original is returned.

    Fire Procedures Carman
    The main building is equipped with a fire alarm system.  The University of Manitoba, Carman & Region Facility, General FIRE EMERGENCY Procedures and Emergency Exit Plan is posted throughout the main building.  Take note of where fire extinguishers, pull stations and exits are located.  When a fire alarm is triggered, follow posted University of Manitoba fire emergency procedures (R.A.C.E.) and leave the building using the safest, closest exit door.  People are to meet outside the main entrance door of the building when a fire in the main building occurs or alarm is triggered.  If it is unsafe to meet at the front exit door and wind is from the south, meet at the south parking lot.  If wind is from the north, meet at the north parking lot (this is so smoke from a fire will be blown away from you).  Ensure everyone is accounted for and that people can be assigned to warn others not to enter the building from other entrances.  The fire department will respond to a fire alarm regardless of whether it is false or real.

    First Aid Kits
    First aid kits are located in the shop cupboard above the sink (Room 125), and in the kitchen (Room 110) and the lunchroom (Room 119) in the main building and in each Plant Science vehicle.

    Carman Chemical Storage
    The pesticides storage area is located in the main building at Carman (Room130).  Pesticide containers are to be clean, sealed, not leaking and placed in plastic totes on or under the shelves.  Pesticides are arranged in alphabetical order by program with a separate section for insecticides within the room and labeled with a permanent alpha-numerical inventory number.  The inventory number is recorded in the inventory binder located within the same room.  The chemical inventory binder lists all pesticides in the room by alpha-numerical number, product trade and/or scientific name, date purchased, program owner and dates of when the container is emptied, temporarily relocated or returned.  Material Safety Data Sheets for each chemical in storage are to be kept in binders on top of the filing cabinet in the chemical lab (Room 129) of the Carman and Region Facility.  Use internet access to update any outdated Material Safety Data Sheets.

    Ask Before You Dig or Soil Sample
    There are many hidden hazards throughout the Carman Research Station such as buried high voltage electrical and high pressure natural gas lines and water lines.  Contact Alvin Iverson, Carman Research Station Manager for more information.

    Carman Computer and Internet Access
    See Alvin Iverson for assignment of a user ID and password.

    Carman Bulk Fuel Filling
    Motorized licensed vehicles are to be fueled at the Co-op in Carman, not from bulk fuel tanks located on the farm

    There are two above ground, double walled, 500 gallon, Westeel Vacuum Vault bulk fuel tanks located at Carman for fueling of farm field equipment with either dyed diesel fuel or gas.  Each tank is labeled and has a metered electric pump with an auto shutoff handle.  Do not put diesel fuel in a gas engine, or gas in a diesel engine as this will cause severe engine damage if run in this manner.  If you have by accident put the wrong fuel type in a piece of motorized farm equipment, do not run the engine, contact the Ian. N. Morrison Carman Research Farm Manager, Alvin Iverson (204) 745-8642 or Agricultural Attendant Jim Dunn for assistance immediately.  Ask first if you do not know which fuel to use in a piece of farm equipment.  There is a fire extinguisher located by each fuel tank.  There is an EMERGENCY FUEL SHUT-OFF located on the outside North east corner of building #9.  This will kill the power to both pumps in the event of an emergency.  If fuel tanks are empty, contact Alvin Iverson or Jim Dunn who will order more fuel.  Be careful approaching the leaving fuel tanks so that you do not run into protective crash bollards with tractors or equipment.

    Filling procedures:

    1. Turn engine off.
    2. If you are first to use the pumps, turn on the labeled main power switches located just inside the walk-in door of building #8.  There is a labeled switch for each pump and both need to be turned on.  These switches are to be turned off at the end of each work day to prevent unauthorized access to fuel outside of normal working hours.
    3. Remove the fuel use log book from the mail box holder located at the fuel tanks and write down the starting meter reading for the fuel you are accessing, diesel or gas.
    4. Remove fuel filler cap for the engine.
    5. Put auto filling end of the hose into fuel tank.
    6. Turn on pump.
    7. Fill tank, being careful not to overfill.
    8. When tank is full, release auto fill handle and turn pump motor off.
    9. Release pressure and fuel into the tank before hanging the handle back up in its holder.
    10. Put the filler cap for the engine back on securely.
    11. Record the ending meter reading in the fuel use log book and place it back into the mail box holder closing the lid.


    Top of Page


    The purpose of this protocol is to ensure:

    1. that all users of and visitors to the agriculture research farm land and facilities at the University of Manitoba are duly informed of pesticide applications. This would include staff from the University of Manitoba, the Cereal Research Centre and Native Studies; and
    2. that adequate information is provided or posted to ensure the safety of all parties who may use these areas and surroundings.


    All research farm land belonging to the University of Manitoba is under the control of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences through the Department of Plant Science or Department of Animal Science. The Head of each of these departments is responsible to appoint a contact person/coordinator for the research farm land.

    Carman and Region Research Facility
    Contact: Alvin Iverson
    Address: Box 1669, Carman MB R0G 0J0
    Telephone No: (204) 745-3944
    e-mail: Alvin_Iverson@umanitoba.ca

    Glenlea Research Station
    Contact:   Tracy Gilson
    Address: Operations Manager, Glenlea Research Station 
    Telephone No: (204) 293-4625

    The Point at Fort Garry Campus
    Contact:  Mary Meleshko or Lynn Coleman
    Address: Room 222 Agriculture building, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg MB R3T 2N2
    Telephone No: (204) 474-9898

    Responsibility of Contact/Co-ordinator
    At the beginning of each research season, the contact person will post a sign at each entrance to the research farm land warning that the area is a pesticide application area.  The sign will indicate the name and phone number where a contact person may be reached.

    Responsibility of Users of Research Farm Land

    Pesticide Applicator
    The pesticide applicator must have received training and be familiar with the safe handling, application and disposal of pesticides.
    The pesticide applicator must have received prior permission to apply pesticides through the Land Request form. Land Request forms are available through the a contact person.
    Each pesticide application need not be posted unless an insecticide is used.  If an insecticide is used, the pesticide applicator must clearly define the application area with posted sign(s) on the plot to be sprayed prior to any application of an insecticide.  The warning sign(s) should indicate:

    • Contact name and telephone #
    • Date and time of application
    • Insecticide applied
    • Safe re-entry date and time

    The pesticide applicator must remove the warning signs at the end of the safe re-entry period.

    In addition to their own spray protocols, all non-University pesticide applicators should consult the University of Manitoba,  Department of Plant Science Spray Protocol. This protocol is available from the contact person at Carman or The Point. The strictest protocol shall be used in conformance with the University of Manitoba’s spray protocol.

    Non-Applicator Users of the Research Lands
    It is the responsibility of all users of the Research farm land to look for and avoid areas that have pesticide warning signs posted unless they are wearing appropriate safety equipment.

    Top of Page