CHERD is pleased to offer new professional development workshops. If you are an emerging academic leader, an understanding of university budgeting and time management is critical.
Time and energy management for academic leaders
Fall 2023 workshop
Interactive online session
Oct. 4 from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm CDT
Fee: $125 plus GST
In this session, Loleen Berdahl and Jonathan Malloy will assist academic leaders in identifying strategies to achieve key priorities efficiently and effectively while protecting and role-modeling work-life balance. It is easy for constant demands to consume the time and energy of academic leaders, with larger professional and personal goals falling by the wayside. Participants will leave with a personal plan for time and energy management. This session is appropriate for academic leaders working above the department head/chair level.
Loleen Berdahl & Jonathan Malloy are the instructors for CHERD’s popular Heads and Chairs leadership training course.
Loleen is the author of the Academia Made Easier newsletter and University Affairs, The Skills Agenda column.
Budgeting for academic administrators
Fall 2023 workshop
Interactive online sessions
Thursday, Oct. 12 from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm CDT
Thursday, Oct. 26 from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm CDT
Facilitated by two experienced senior leaders, this professional development workshop provides an overview of university budgeting including current context, external and internal factors, components of budgeting, budget models, budget planning and budget levers at various levels of administration.
Key Topic Areas
- Roles and responsibilities at the senior level: Provost, VP Finance and Administration, AVP Budget and Planning
- Setting the context for university budgets including the institutional context and culture
- External and internal factors impacting university budgets
- Components of a university budget e.g., operating budget and a consolidated budget, base funds, one-time funds, restricted versus unrestricted, fund accounting
- Budget Planning and alignment to vision, mission, and strategic plan
- Budget models in Canadian universities
- Leverages in budgeting and understanding the
- levers a department has
- levers a dean has
- levers a provost has
- levers the VP Finance has
- levers stakeholders and community has
- levers government has