Latest updates

Arriving in Winnipeg

For information on arrival in Winnipeg – including getting settled, accommodations and housing, banking and access to money, living and learning in Winnipeg – please visit the website for international students

The Government of Manitoba will administer the vaccine to non-Manitoba residents

Health information

It is mandatory for international students in Manitoba to have primary health coverage. Through Manitoba Blue Cross, the University of Manitoba provides a comprehensive plan that offers comparable coverage to what Manitobans receive. For more information about the Manitoba International Student Health Plan (MISHP), visit the UM International Centre’s health coverage page

Please note that newly enrolled international students are covered on an emergency basis for up to one (1) calendar month prior to the start of their first academic term. During this period, medical treatment and testing for COVID-19 will only be covered if symptoms began after departure from your home country. 

If you travel to Canada and are not able to register in the Fall 2022 Term, then you will not be covered under the Manitoba International Student Health Plan from September 1, 2022 – December 31, 2022. Similarly, if you are not able to register in the Winter 2023 Term, then you will not be covered under the health plan from January 1, 2023 – August 31, 2023. Students admitted for Summer 2023 will need to be registered in the summer to be covered May 1 to August 31, 2023.

We strongly encourage you to purchase private medical insurance that provides coverage until the start of your classes. We also recommend that you confirm with the insurance provider that your coverage includes any medical costs related to COVID-19. Not all insurance providers cover these costs.   

For the latest updates on Manitoba’s COVID-19 vaccine campaign, please check the provincial government’s website regularly, which also includes a helpful list of frequently asked questions.

What to do if you get sick

Review information on the student resources page.  

Many grocery stores offer delivery and pick-up options. For a list of grocery stores, please visit the international students page under the ‘Living and Learning in Winnipeg’ tab.  

If you need emergency access to non-perishable food items, please visit the student information page under 'Personal support' for details on how to utilize the university's food bank.

Information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is continuing to update their response to the evolving situation and how that may impact students’ status in Canada as international students. New information is posted on their website on a regular basis. Please continue to monitor the following IRCC webpages as they update information related to temporary residents (e.g., international students) in Canada:   

Study permits

Learn more about your conditions as a study permit holder in Canada.

Extending your status

For international students who are in Canada and whose study permits will expire soon, IRCC advises to apply online to extend your study permit before it expires. For more information on extending your study permit, visit IRCC’s page about the process.

Post-Graduate Work Program

Work in Canada after you graduate: You may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) after you graduate. Find out the eligibility requirements