The Tier Building with snow on ground on Fort Garry campus in November 2021. // Photo by Chris Reid

COVID-19 information for students

Latest updates

  • Masks are required in all indoor spaces: KN95 strongly recommended, minimum standard is 3-ply medical ASTM Grade 2. Students who are required to be on campus will be provided with KN95 or 3-ply mask, visit the health and safety website for distribution locations and hours.

  • As communicated in March, classes and events on our campuses have returned to being held in-person and will continue to be in-person going forward.

    The existing masking mandate will continue in September, and until further notice.

  • Please stay home if you are sick. Work directly with your instructors to make reasonable academic arrangements. Check Resources to learn what you should do if you need to miss class due to illness.

Book your COVID-19 booster

All adults (age 18+) can receive a booster shot (third dose) of a COVID-19 vaccine and it is strongly recommended to receive your booster as soon as you are eligible. Boosters are available at any location that offers the COVID-19 vaccine. A shorter timeline is recommended for some groups. Visit the Province of Manitoba website for eligibility criteria and information on where to book a vaccine.

University Health Service is offering both Pfizer and Moderna boosters. Call 204-474-8411 to book an appointment. 

For more information about vaccines, please visit our Vaccine Information page.

On-campus services

Study space

Individual Faculties and programs may also set aside specific study spaces for their students so please check with your faculty/program administrative office.

Absolutely no food or drink will be allowed in study spaces. Masks must be worn at all times in these spaces. You may enter the campus with your own mask and then change into a KN95 or 3-ply medical mask which will be provided by your college, department, program, unit.


UM is committed to supporting our students during this time. Learn about resources available if you are experiencing health or financial issues, or looking for information to help you succeed and stay connected.

If you have to miss class due to illness

If you are unable to meet a course requirement due to medical circumstances you are currently not required to submit a medical note. However, you are required to contact your instructor or academic advisor by email to inform them of the missed work and to make arrangements for extensions, deferrals, or make-up assignments.

Please follow these guidelines if you are unable to meet an academic requirement for your courses:

  • Inform your instructor/advisor as soon as possible. Do not delay. Note for final exams: you must contact within 48 hours of the date of the final exam
  • Email your instructor/advisor from a UM email address, and include your full name, student number, course number, and academic work that was missed.
  • Contact your instructor for term work such as a class, quiz, midterm/test, assignment, lab;
  • Contact an advisor in your faculty/college/school of registration for a missed final exam (scheduled by the Registrar’s Office, during the official exam period).

Access to health care for international students

Any international student who is registered with the University of Manitoba will be covered by the Manitoba International Student Health Plan (MISHP). This includes degree-seeking students, English Language Centre program students, and those in Extended Education certificate programs.

MISHP provides you with primary health coverage, which allows you to access medical services in Canada from doctors, clinics and hospitals. To find out where to go for the health issue you are experiencing, visit or

For eligible international students covered by MISHP who are required to be tested for COVID-19 in approved testing sites, the medical expenses incurred for testing will be covered under your plan. For more information, please visit

Please note that newly enrolled international students are covered on an emergency basis for up to one (1) calendar month prior to the start of their first academic term. During this period, medical treatment and testing for COVID-19 will only be covered if symptoms began after departure from your home country.

Food security

It’s important to eat well but we also understand that money may be tight, and you may need to look to a food bank. Here are some options available to you.

If you are out of Winnipeg check out Food Banks Canada to find Food Banks located near you.

UM Foodbank

UM Foodbank is closed for in-person visits right now, but they are offering contactless delivery from our partner, Food Fare Winnipeg. Visit the website for more info on who is eligible and how to request a hamper.

Harvest Manitoba

Harvest Manitoba, (formerly Winnipeg Harvest) is another food bank option. You can request help online or by phone.

Agape Table

Agape Table provides free or $1 bagged breakfasts and distributes hampers on behalf of Harvest Manitoba.

Monday to Friday, 7 - 11 a.m.
364 Furby Street

Oak Table

Oak Table provides free lunch service.

Monday to Thursday, 12 - 2 p.m.
109 Pulford Street

Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre Inc.

Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre Inc. has two locations (McGregor and Spence) and offers emergency supplies of food, basic sanitary needs and baby needs.

Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m.

McGregor location contact: 204-925-0330 or 204-925-6816

Spence location contact: 204-925-0352 or 204-925-0348

Updates from the Vice Provost (Students)