Latest updates

  • Dec 21, 2021:

    The University announced remote learning will continue until the end of Winter Term break (Feb. 26, 2022) due to the emerging Omicron variant. To help students navigate this evolving situation and make the best decisions regarding housing, we are providing the following flexible options for the Winter Term:

    • If you will not be attending residence in Winter Term, you may cancel now and receive a full $1000 refund of your deposit. To cancel, e-mail
    • If you have not decided whether you can or will need to live in residence for Winter Term, you may defer your decision until a later date. We will hold your room and deposit without penalty up to February 16, 2022.
    • If you will attend residence in Winter Term, you will be assessed fees according to a revised occupancy (and meal plan) rate schedule:

    Please note that the University will continue to evaluate the COVID-19 and housing situation. If further changes are necessary before Feb. 26, 2022, we will advise students immediately. Please continue to check this page for regular updates.

    Contact us at or at 204-474-9922 or 1-800-859-8737 if you have any questions or concerns.

  • The UM Covid-19 updates webpage is the best source of health and safety measures to keep our campus community safe.  

    Wear a mask. Please continue to wear a mask at all times in common spaces including hallways, lounges, laundry rooms, community kitchens and lobbies.

2022 Winter Term - what to expect

Student Residences is still accepting Winter Term applications and making room offers to those who have already applied. Arthur MauroPembina Hall and Mary Speechly Residences will be open for the Winter Term. With the exception of traditional double rooms in Mary Speechly, all other room types and roommate configurations are being offered.

To keep our community as safe as possible, The University of Manitoba requires all students (and staff) to be fully vaccinated to attend and live on campus. Pursuant to this, residents already living on campus and new residence applicants that have yet to arrive, must upload proof of vaccination to the University of Manitoba vaccination declaration website.

For the start of Winter Term all residence common spaces will be open but social distancing and occupancy limit requirements will remain in place. This is guided by Manitoba Public Health recommendations/restrictions. Wearing a mask while indoors, i.e., anywhere but in your own room, will remain place. Guests will not be permitted until further notice. Residence dining will operate the same, offering dine-in and takeout options throughout the term.

While we are approaching the start of the Winter Term more cautiously, we look forward to gradually welcoming a larger number of students back to residence, providing more opportunities for students to interact, engage, learn and have fun.

Health, safety and self-isolation in residence

We remain focused on keeping residence as safe as possible. Measures include but are not limited to:

  1. Indoor mask requirement in all common spaces
  2. More frequent cleaning of high touch and heavily utilized areas within residence, e.g., public washrooms, community kitchens and lounges
  3. Providing designated temporary self-isolation spaces and meal delivery for residents living in dorms (MSH) or double occupancy suites (AVM) exhibiting COVID symptoms, awaiting test results, or after receiving a positive test result.

It is important to note that with the re-introduction of shared accommodations, Student Residences will no longer be offering self-isolation services related to travel for incoming residents and residents opting to travel outside of North America during the term, including holidays and term breaks. It is anticipated that the Government of Canada will soon require all fully vaccinated travellers be tested upon arrival into the country and must self-isolate while awaiting test results.

All new incoming residents for the Winter Term must self-isolate in a hotel (or another off-campus location) until they receive a negative test result before arriving in residence. The University of Manitoba can provide a subsidized accommodation and meal service with a local hotel at a minimal cost to eligible new international students. To apply, please contact

Students already living in residence opting to travel outside North America may only self-isolate in their room when they return if they live in Pembina Hall Residence. Those living in shared accommodations in Arthur Mauro or Mary Speechly must self-isolate first at an off-campus location while awaiting test results at their own expense.

Meal delivery service is available to students that need to self-isolate in Pembina Hall Residence by completing the online meal form. Depending on your meal plan, additional costs may apply.

The UM Covid-19 updates webpage is the best source of health and safety measures to keep our campus community safe.

Off-campus housing

For off-campus housing, visit Places 4 Students. For information about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, including questions about rent payment and evictions visit the Residential Tenancies Branch.