Future Students - Frequently Asked Questions*

Please also consult the Faculty of Graduate Studies' answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

What careers are available for persons who obtain a Ph.D. in Peace and Conflict Studies?

What is the tuition for the Ph.D. Program?

How do I apply and what is the application deadline?

Is financial aid available?

Is it possible to take graduate courses in Peace and Conflict Studies without being admitted to the program?

1. "What careers are available for those who obtain a Ph.D. in Peace and Conflict Studies?"

It is anticipated that graduates from this program will make an important contribution to a wide variety of organizations, institutions, and government departments, and to society as a whole. Persons who have done advanced study in the Peace and Conflict Studies field can bring their perspective to a range of professional settings. These include not-for-profit and advocacy organizations at the community, national, and international levels; businesses (e.g., handling cross-cultural training, setting up programs to prevent violence in the workplace, or acting as an ombudsperson); institutions such as hospitals, and educational institutions (including elementary, secondary, and post-secondary schools); and governmental agencies, and departments.

Currently, positions in international nongovernmental organizations are increasing dramatically. These international nongovernmental organizations (INGOs) work toward a variety of purposes—for example, administering aid and setting up local and state governmental infrastructures. Also, increasingly, military personnel are working in new capacities in international settings, for which new knowledge and skills are needed. This program will be attractive to those persons in Canada, the U.S., developing countries, and throughout the world seeking work or already working at the transnational level.

The combination of research and course work experiences will provide unique opportunities for graduates wishing to work in both the professional, teaching, and research domains. For example, faculty will be needed to teach, administer, and conduct research in the 30 universities and colleges in North America (1 in Asia, 3 in Australia, 17 in Europe, and 3 in the Middle East) that offer a related master's degree (e.g., conflict analysis and resolution, peace studies, or alternative dispute resolution), as well as in the 8 universities/colleges in Europe and 80 in North America offering a major or minor in a related field.

2. "What is the tuition for the Ph.D. Program?"

University program fees are assessed through the Registrars Office and collected through the Cashier’s Office. Questions regarding student fees should  be directed to Ms. Arlene Chanel, Records Advisor for Graduate Studies, at 204.474.9188. 

3. "How do I apply and what is the application deadline?"

Please refer to  the section of this website: How to Apply.

4. "Is financial aid available?"

Please refer to the information provided in the following section of this website: Financial Aid. Also, please refer to the following webpage on  Funding and Awards provided by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

5. "Is it possible to take courses in the Peace and Conflict Studies without being admitted into the Ph.D. Program?"

If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Manitoba, it may be  possible for you to take a course with the permission of the instructor. Please contact the the department at 204-474-8894 for more information. 


*Information subject to change

For more information, please contact PACS@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-8894.