Associate Professor, Peace & Conflict Studies
Acting Director, Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies
Areas of specialization/interest
Gender and peacebuilding, interpersonal violence, intimate partner abuse, participatory research as empowerment, feminist methodologies, indigenous methodologies, narrative, visioning, community mental health, community development, youth and democracy
Dr. Maureen Flaherty has been a front-line social worker, therapist, consultant, and educator specializing in the areas of crisis and trauma recovery, intimate partner abuse, and community development. Her work has taken her to Russia where she facilitated workshops on community mental health, and Ukraine where she worked for the CIDA- funded project, Reforming Social Services: Canada Ukraine. This involved assisting with the development of a new Faculty of Social Work in Lviv, Ukraine, and facilitating workshops for practitioners in the area of community social service development. She continues to do participatory action research, using a variety of tools such as narrative and visioning for empowerment, bridging differences, and building community in both Canada and Ukraine.
Ph.D., Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Manitoba
M.S.W. (Master’s in Social Work), University of Manitoba
B.A., Improvisional Drama and Psychology, University of Alberta
- Flaherty, M. (2012). Peacebuilding with women in Ukraine: Using personal stories to envision a common future. Lanham: Lexington
Books & Contributions to Books
- Flaherty, M. (forthcoming 2019). “I remember everything”: Anchoring dialogue in cultures of peace. Expanding Modes of Inquiry in Peace and Conflict Studies. Winnipeg: Arthur V. Mauro Centre
- *Flaherty, M. (2017). Peace-talk with Youth in Ukraine: Building Community with Internally Displaced People. Society Under Construction: Opportunities and Risks, Vol. 2. Lviv, Ukraine: Lviv Polytechnic National University.
- *Flaherty, M. (2016). It Takes a Vision to Raise a Nation: Peacebuilding with Men in Ukraine. In P. Baldys & K. Piatek (Eds.), Society Under Construction: Opportunities and Risks, Vol 1. (38-56). Bilesko-Baiala, Poland: Technical Humanitarian Academy.
- Flaherty, M. & Rocke, C. (2016). Reconstructing communities – a case study: Indigenous grandmothers searching for peace. In H. Tuso & M. Flaherty (Eds.) Creating the third force: Indigenous processes of peacebuilding (371-390). Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Tuso, H. & Flaherty, M. (2016). Introduction. In H. Tuso & M. Flaherty (Eds.) Creating the third force: Indigenous processes of peacebuilding (3-26). Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Flaherty, M. & Hansen, N. (2015). (Dis)ability, gender, and peacebuilding. In M. Flaherty, T. Matyok, S. Byrne & H. Tuso (Eds.) Gender and peacebuilding: All hands required (375-390). Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Flaherty, M. & Matyok, T. (2015). Introduction. In M. Flaherty, T. Mayok, S. Byrne & H. Tuso (Eds.) Gender and peacebuilding: All hands required (xiii-xviii). Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Flaherty, M. & Matyok, T. (2014). Introduction. In T. Matyok, M. Flaherty, S. Byrne, J. Senehi & H. Tuso (Eds.) Peace on earth: The role of religion in Peace and Conflict Studies (1-12). Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
Contributions to Refereed Professional Journals
- Flaherty, M. (2018). Social Work and Peacebuilding: Partnership with promise. Вісник Черкаського університету, cерія «Педагогічні науки», № 1. [The Herald of the Cherkasy National University, “Pedagogical Sciences” series, Issue 1].
- *Omelchenko, L.M.; Vus, V.I.; Makarenko, O. M.; Flaherty, M. P. (2018). Psychological conditions of improving the quality of medical and social care for patients with schizophrenia (in Russian language). Likarsk sprava (General Medicine).
- *Flaherty, M.; Sikorski, E.; Hayduk, N.; Klos, L.; Vus, V. (in review 2018). Peacework and mental health: From individual pathology to community responsibility. Journal of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Conflict Affected Areas.
- *Flaherty, M.; Sikorski, E.; Mckenzie, N.; Bell, J.; Clarke, M.A.; Rodrigues da Costa, E.; Kuznetsova, A.; Maiangwa, B.; Mallon, B.; Murtala, S.; Zhou, W. (2017). Creating a collage of many peaces. Peace Studies Journal, Vol. 10 (3), 4-14.
- *Flaherty, M. (2016). Participatory research: Community building in action. Cherkasy University Bulletin: Pedagogical Sciences. Ukrainian Translation: Sonya Stavkova.
Papers in Conference Proceedings (Published)
- Flaherty, M. (2018). Mental health: From Individual pathology to community responsibility. International Conference: “Global challenges of mental health in the 21st Century. Kyiv, Ukraine. October.
- Flaherty, M. (2018). Social Work and Peacebuilding: Partnership with promise. XIV International Scientific Conference: Modern Science, Business and Education. Varna, Bulgaria, July. Reprinted with permission from Cherkasy National University Herald.
Publications in Non-refereed Periodicals