COVID help: Grocery resources
The Centre on Aging has put together community resources and practical information for older persons in the community as it relates to COVID-19 from information published on social media and in the news.
Grocery stores opening early
Stores continue to open an hour earlier for older people and those at high-risk of contracting COVID-19 and have adjusted their hours of operation. Contact your local store to confirm their updated store hours and policies.
The information is changing regularly and is subject to change. Contact organizations directly to confirm the information.
Cantor's Meats is offering free city-wide delivery to all older people over the age of 65, with a minimum purchase of $100.
- Crampton's Market has an online market and "No-Contact" pick-up, Monday to Friday from 10 am–7 pm. Visit their website for full details (See Shop > Online market links).
- Crampton’s Market recommends visitors shop alone, not in group or as a family.
- Costco on Monday to Friday from 9–10 a.m., Costco will temporarily implement special operating hours for members who are 60 and older or who have a physical disability. The pharmacy will also be open during this hour.
- Face Coverings: Some provinces/territories and local jurisdictions require the use of face coverings in public settings. Costco will adhere to those requirements.
- Costco is temporarily allowing priority access to Costco members who are healthcare workers and first responders such as police officers, EMTs and firefighters. Healthcare workers and first responders who present a Costco membership card and official identification of their role, will be allowed to move to the front of any line to enter the warehouse.
Dakota Family Foods
- Dakota Family Foods store opens exclusively to seniors and people with compromised immune systems between 7-8 a.m., Monday to Friday.
- Offer curbside pick-up for $5. Call the store to order your groceries 204-255-6129.
- Offers grocery delivery services.
- De Luca’s offers grocery delivery and curbside grocery pickup. View their blog for details.
- Portage location
No-contact curbside pickup or No-contact delivery
Email orders to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204-774-7617
- South Landing location
66 South Landing Drive
No-contact curbside pickup
Dollarama is encouraging customers to reserve the first hour of operations each day for seniors and those with chronic health conditions.
Dollar Tree Canada
Dollar Tree Canada is dedicating the stores’ first operational hours each day to at-risk customers, including seniors, individuals with pre-existing health conditions and pregnant women. All other customers are asked to begin their shopping trips at least one hour after the stores open.
Downtown Family Foods
All Winnipeg Food Fare locations will be opening early for seniors and those most at risk from 8–9 a.m. in all stores.
- Harry’s Foods continues with their shopping/delivery, and pick-up service.
- Email your order to email@example.com. Harry’s Foods accepts orders by phone at 204-338-7538, but prefers orders by email.
- Include a phone number and address with your order. Due to the large number of orders, priority will be to the customers from our community. Orders from outside area will still be accepted.
London Drugs is open for Seniors Hour: Monday—Friday 8-9 a.m.
- No Frills is introducing a dedicating shopping hour for customers who need assistance or consideration including seniors and people living with disabilities.
- Starting Saturday, Aug. 29, masks or face coverings will be mandatory at all their locations across Canada
- PC Express pick-up fees will be waived on all online orders. Contact your local store for more information.
- As a thank you, No Frills is providing priority access for healthcare workers to enter the store.
- The weekly flyer is now digital only.
- Stephen's No Frills will open one hour earlier (8 a.m.) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Real Canadian Superstore
- Real Canadian Superstore will be opening between 7-8 a.m. for seniors and people living with disabilities.
- Masks or face coverings are mandatory at all their locations across Canada
- Real Canadian Superstore is limiting the number of customers allowed in the busiest stores.
- The store is lowering prices on home-delivered goods and has eliminated fees for pickup and delivery.
- Real Canadian Superstore is providing priority access for healthcare workers in almost all of our locations throughout the day. Show healthcare ID to get priority entrance to our supermarkets and drugstores.
- Full-service locations offers contactless pick-up. Simply open your trunk and they will load your groceries in, receipt and all.
- At self-service locations, you can continue to pick up your PC Express online grocery pickup order in-store at the designated pickup up location.
- The weekly flyer is now digital only.
Red River Co-Op
- Red River Co-Op: Early openings for seniors, pregnant women, and those with compromised immune systems.
- Wednesdays & Fridays: 7:00 AM – 8:00 AM | *Gimli food store 7:30 AM -8:30 AM
- Save-On-Foods has dedicated the hour of 7–8 a.m. for seniors and vulnerable people to shop.
- Temporarily suspended bottle returns and the use of reusable shopping bags in store.
- Limiting the number of customers in our stores at peak times to ensure adequate social distance between shoppers.
- Online shopping: contactless pick-up and delivery processes
- For customers who can shop in-store, leave the delivery option available for those who aren’t able to get to the store, including seniors, people with disabilities, and those with the novel Coronavirus.
Shoppers Drug Mart
- Shoppers Drug Mart is dedicating the first opening hour of shopping to customers who need assistance or consideration, including seniors and people living with disabilities.
- Shoppers will offer its 20 per cent Seniors Day discount on all regular-price items for the first hour of each day, every day.
- Providing priority access for front-line healthcare workers. This includes entrance to the store, pharmacy drop off and pick up and at our front cash, with identification of your role.
- Product returns and exchanges have been suspended
- Sobeys/Safeway introduced a Seniors Shopping Hour for the first hour of the day, providing a dedicated time to shop for goods.
- When a store is at capacity for safe shopping, customers will be asked to line up outside. Our teammates will reinforce physical distancing in the lineup and, when necessary, follow a one-in, one-out protocol.
- Encouraging customers, to the extent they are able, to designate one family member to shop for their family.
- Asking customers who bring reusable bags to pack their own groceries.
St. Norbert Farmers' Market
- St. Norbert Farmers' Market has an online market system allows you to browse a real-time product list from over 45 vendors, pre-paying for your shopping bag before you head to the market.
- Pick-up will be by a drive-through option, or by coming into the canopy for your order, where vendors will be found.
- Limiting the number of people entering at any given time.
- Many vendors are offering pre-order and pre-pay. Check the vendor page for contact information. Some are offering to deliver products to your car.
- Visit their website for full details.
Vic's Fruit Market
- Vic's Fruit Market continues take orders for Tuesday–Saturday pick-ups one day in advance.
- Include everything (including your phone number) in your order when you email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, as they will not be able to accommodate additions at this time.
- Service charges apply to all orders.
- Visit their website for full curbside ordering details.
- Walmart is temporarily dedicating 7-8 a.m. every day for seniors (ages 65+), people with disabilities and those with vulnerable health conditions.
- Starting August 12, all Walmart Canada customers and staff members will be required to wear a mask while inside the store.
- Offering online ordering.
- Offering contact-free curbside pick-up for online orders (at select stores).
- Groceries by phone: Eligible seniors, people with disabilities and people with vulnerable health conditions can now order their groceries by phone and schedule a time for pickup or delivery with one of our Customer Service Representatives (1-800-328-0402). The new program exists in communities where we offer pickup or delivery.
- Priority pharmacy access: Customers who are only picking up prescriptions don’t need to wait. Call the pharmacy from outside the store and meet a pharmacy associate at the front to get further instruction.
- Priority store access: Hospital workers and first responders will be given priority access to the store.
- Has temporarily updated their Return Policy, effective immediately.
Grocery delivery service
Instacart provides delivery from: Walmart, Real Canadian Superstore, Bulk Barn, M&M Food Market, Shoppers Drug Mart and Staples. Visit their website to see if delivery is available in your area.
Canadian E-Market is a newly launched on-demand grocery delivery service in Winnipeg that has partnered with Food Fare and other local groceries available through its website.
Local businesses providing services
Support local businesses. Many of these vendors provide home delivery for a fee. View websites for full details.