UM Arts Career Apprenticeship Program
The UM Arts Career Apprenticeship Program is an amazing opportunity for graduating arts students and Winnipeg employers. Recent graduates from arts humanities and social science disciplines can connect to job opportunities that will jumpstart their career. Likewise, employers will have access to a strong and talented pool of candidates to fill their positions. This one-year paid professional experience gives graduates the opportunity to put their knowledge and skills to work while contributing to the growth and development of a local organization.
UM Arts Career Apprenticeship Program
The program provides a one-year full-time paid employment opportunity, in Winnipeg, providing mentorship and skill development opportunities for undergraduate arts students completing their final year of study in 2022/2023. Once accepted to the program, candidates will receive support to participate in a competitive application and interview process, with the opportunity to apply to multiple positions leading to potential job offers.
Career and employment application supports are provided through workshops and one-on-one meetings with an experiential learning specialist.
This project is made possible through the generous donation from Canadian Career Apprenticeship Foundation and supported by the Economic Development Winnipeg – YES! Winnipeg, Faculty of Arts and UM Career Services.
Positions will commence on May 1, 2023 and will continue for 12 consecutive months in Winnipeg and surrounding areas.
Launch Your Career Through UM Arts Career Apprenticeship Program!
Are you or will you be a graduate from the Faculty of Arts for the 2022-2023 academic year? Wondering how you are going to connect to that job that will jumpstart your career?
Join the UM Arts Career Apprenticeship program. Through this pioneer program you can access a one-year paid career apprenticeship with the potential to remain in the position and grow your career. This program is a learning opportunity, just as trades apprenticeships are, but this is a unique program designed for new university graduates to accelerate their careers during their first year of employment post-graduation.
Positions are located in Winnipeg and provide an opportunity to put your knowledge and skills to work providing an opportunity for personal and professional development through career mentorship and networking to enhance your career success.
UM ACAP Information sessions
- Secure exclusive access to full-time employment opportunities right after graduation
- Apply to multiple job opportunities simultaneously
- Receive training and support from Career Services to participate in a competitive recruitment process
- Receive support and coaching throughout the year through mentorship
- Build your professional network and cultivate professional relationships
- Enhance your knowledge, skills and dispositions and create a plan for professional growth
- Learn more about your likes and dislikes and discover your personal strengths
- Participants are paired with two mentors, one in their workplace and another external to their workplace, for the duration of their work placement
- Undergraduate students graduating from the Faculty of Arts in the 2022-2023 academic year and ready to enter the workforce May 1, 2023.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Must have applied to graduate during the academic year of application. Must be willing to sign a 12 continuous month contract to live and work in Winnipeg full -time beginning no later than June 1, 2023.
- In good academic and financial standing, with all amounts owing to the University cleared prior to an application being submitted.
- Willing to attend job search sessions and access coaching to ensure a quality application process.
- Complete the program application form (no fee) and questionnaire
- Attend an Orientation and Resume/Cover Letter Session.
- Attend an Interview Session.
If you have a question about the program or want to learn more, please attend an information session (links above).
Deadline for student/graduate applications to participate in UM ACAP- November 4, 2022
Career Education Resources
Make a great first impression! Access free supports to create a tailored job application, write a great cover letter and have a successful interview. You can also attend our workshops, use our online booklets for hands-on help or call to make an appointment.
- Job search
- Resumé and cover letter
- Job interview
Career Services is providing distance delivery services.
Student Application Timeline:
Oct. 24, 2022 -
Nov. 18, 2022Student application window. Deadline to apply is November 18 at NOON.
Employer Postings begin.
by 11:59 p.m. - Deadline for Applications to employer postings.
Applications forwarded to Employers.
Feb. 27, 2023 -
Mar. 10, 2023The first round of interviews.
Mar. 13, 2023 -
Mar. 17, 2023Second round of interviews (or site visits) during this week.
UM ACAP Application Form
Recruitment efforts will continue until June 1 or until 10 positions are filled.
This program was established through a grant from Canadian Career Apprenticeship Initiative.
For more information on the UM Arts Career Apprenticeship Program, please contact Connie Korchak at UM.ACAP@umanitoba.ca.
UM Arts Career Apprenticeship Program Employers
Helping Manitoba employers meet their recruitment needs!
The UM Arts Career Apprenticeship Program connects new graduates from arts humanities and social science disciplines with employers within Winnipeg. Businesses and organizations will have the opportunity to work with qualified and employment-ready new graduate, provide mentorship and opportunities for skill development and will receive a grant for four months’ salary.
Arts students gain a wide range of skills that they are ready to put to work in your business! These highly sought-after skills include the ability to:
- Think critically and solve problems
- Communicate effectively and comprehend information presented in a variety of formats
- Manage data using various technology and information systems
- Work with others to achieve goals
- Manage projects in a timely and organized manner
- Work well under pressure
- Demonstrate adaptability and effectively navigate change
- Manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- Work with and understand broader needs of social diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrate leadership, collaboration, and continuous learning
Put a skilled arts graduate to work for you by taking part in the UM Arts Career Apprenticeship Program.
- The program is open to any business located within the city of Winnipeg, with a minimum 7+ employees, smaller staffing numbers will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The employer can offer employment opportunities available for graduating Arts students with start dates between May 1 and June 1, 2023.
- The employer provides meaningful employment and career development opportunities for the apprentice.
- The employer provides a minimum of 12 months, paid, full-time, professional experience with the potential for full-time permanent employment.
- Job opportunities must meet a minimum salary.
- Public sector organizations are eligible to participate and receive the grant if the roles being filled are for permanent positions.
- The employer should be in business for a minimum of 2 years.
- Employers will provide the employee with a point of contact within the business or organization that can provide career guidance, mentoring and access to networking opportunities.
- Employers will be reimbursed $2,500 per month for up to four months of gross salary, to a maximum of $10,000 a year.
- Grant reimburses employers for the first, fourth, eighth and the twelfth month of the apprenticeship.
- Submit multiple job postings to increase your student acceptance success.
- Access a competitive pool of extraordinary new talent that will bring energy, creativity and critical thinking to your business operation.
- Receive support through the application, hiring and interview process
- Hired employees will also receive mentorship and support outside of the employer environment for the duration of the placement.
- The opportunity to contribute back to your community by hiring locally.
- Undergraduate students graduating from the Faculty of Arts in the 2022-2023 academic year and ready to enter the workforce between May 1 and June 1, 2023.
- All candidates must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for the program and to commit to 12 continuous months of full-time employment beginning no later than June 1, 2023.
Interested in participating?
Upcoming Important Dates
Oct. 24, 2022 -
Dec. 2, 2022Employers to submit an expression of interest
Employer postings begin
by 11:59 p.m. | Deadline for employer postings
Applications forwarded to employers
Employers are to email with names of students they wish to interview
Feb. 17, 2023 -
Feb. 23, 2023UM coordinates and schedules interviews
Feb. 27, 2023 -
Mar. 10, 2023First round of interviews
Mar. 13, 2023 -
Mar. 17, 2023Interested employers to host a second round of interviews or site visits during this week
by 11:59 a.m. | Students and employers to submit their ranked candidate preferences
Program to inform employers and students of a successful match
Arts Career Apprenticeship Program
543 UMSU University Centre
65 Chancellor Circle
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada