1. Where do I find used textbooks in the UM BookStore?
Used texts, if available, are shelved right next to the new copies of the text and identified with a yellow “USED” sticker on the spine.
2. Do you have used copies available for every textbook?
Unfortunately no, only for those titles which we know in advance are being re-adopted on campus, and for which we can negotiate a supply.
3. Are the used textbook prices listed on the shelf?
No, but used textbooks in our store are all priced at 25% off of the new textbook price (and you pay no tax). New textbook prices are listed on the shelf.
4. Will there be highlighting or notes from previous users in the textbook?
Possibly; many students colour or underline their textbooks as an aid to learning. We try and offer a selection of used copies so that you may choose the copy that suits you best.
5. If I buy a used textbook and decide I don’t want it can I return it for a refund?
No, used textbooks are not eligible for a refund, however they can be sold back to the BookStore during our Used Book Buy Back events.
6. If I buy a used textbook will I be able to sell it back at the end of the term?
When we buy a particular textbook back we buy used as well as new copies from students.
7. How much will my used textbook be worth if I sell it back?
If your textbook has been readopted for use on our campus you could receive up to 50% of the new textbook price, even though you bought the book as a used copy!
8. Will the access code in the used textbook still work?
No, not reliably. Access Codes are designed to expire shortly after the term for which it was sold.
Why are textbooks so expensive?
Click the image below to view.