WHAT IS BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING?
Biomedical Engineers combine engineering principles with medical sciences to design and create equipment, devices, products, computer systems, software, etc. To this end, it is important for Biomedical Students to learn basic principles in both Engineering and Medical regardless of the Biomedical Student's research area.
INITIATING AWARDS / FUNDS / SCHOLARSHIPS
Your award / funds / scholarships, etc. should have come with a congratulatory letter confirming your funds. Please following the instructions in that letter to "ACCEPT" and turn-on your funding. If you are having problems please contact the Graduate Students Advisor for help.
PAYING TUITION & FEES
- Tuition and all Fees must be paid by the DEADLINE DATE
- Failure to act by the Deadline Date will cause you to incur LATE FEES.
- After several weeks, failure to pay Tution and Fees will result in you begin DISCONTINUED from the Graduate Program
PAYING WITH FUNDING / AWARDS, ETC.
- Canadian / Permanent Residents:
- Usually, all funds, awards, etc. are deposited directly into a student's bank account. Canadian / Permanent Residents should pay their tuitions and fees directly
- Pay at the Cashier's Office located in the University Centre
138 UMSU University Centre
- Pay Electronically Online
Online Banking is the preferred method of payment. Payments can be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from anywhere in the world.
Sign up by contacting your financial institution and set up the University of Manitoba as a payee. You will be asked for an account number. This is your seven digits student identification number.
Note: If your financial institution requires more than 7 digits as an account number, enter zeros as your lead digits (i.e. 001234567).
The University will record the payment date as the date processed by the bank, not the date received by the University. Allow 2-3 business days to see your payment posted to your Aurora Student Account.
- International Students
- If you are receiving an Award, Funding, or were offered a TA job, other than the IGSES, your funds will be deposited directly into your bank account. To arrange the payment of your Tuition & Fees by installments ...
- Fill-in this INSTALLMENT PLAN APPLICATION
- Submit the Installment Plan Application form to the
Student Revenue Office
315 Administration Bldg.
- You will be charge a small Processing Fee
- You will receive an email as to when you payments are due. You will also be notified through your Aurora Account
- The best method of payment is ELECTRONICALLY.
- IGSES: INTERNATIONAL GRADUATE STUDENT ENTRANCE SCHOLARSHIP
- You will not receive these funds directly
- The IGSES is paid directly, in two equal payments, to your FALL & WINTER tuition
BUS PASSES: UPASS
- PICK-UP YOUR BUS PASS: Bus Passes can usually be retreived at the Registrar's Office. Please watch for signs
- UPASS: The university offers the UPASS, a university bus pass for students. The cost is automatically charged in your Tuition & Fee. Please see information regarding UPass on the UMSU site
- Manitoba Provincial Health Insurance
Most International and Out of Province Students qualify for Manitoba Health Insurance. Manitoba Provicial Health Insurance is FREE-of-charge.
- International Students
Go to Manitoba Health (address on the blue sheet in your New Student folder) and bring
- Study Permit (must be valid for at least 6 months)
- This Form: http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/documents/mg1883.pdf
- Out of Province Students
If you've chosen not to register for out of province insurance with your home province, then go to Manitoba Health (address on the blue sheet in your New Student folder) and bring your
- Previous province’s/territory’s health card number
- Proof of Canadian citizenship
(i.e. Copy of Canadian Birth Certificate or Canadian Citizenship Card or Permanent Resident Confirmation Card (copy of both sides))
- This Form: http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/documents/mg1883.pdf
- What do I do if I have a baby or bring my spouse/partner to Manitoba?
Simply list them on your Manitoba Provincial Health Insurance Application
- What do I do if I move, have a baby, get married, etc.
Please report changes such as a new address, birth, adoption, death, marriage, divorce, or legal separation to the Insured Benefits Branch. Documentation is required for some changes. You may submit your changes in person or online at http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/forms.html
- What does the Manitoba Provincial Health Insurance cover?
- What is NOT covered by this insurance?
- Where do I go to register for Manitoba Health Insurance?
Registration and Client Services
300 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 3M9
For more information call: (204) 786-7101
Fax: (204) 783-2171
Toll free: 1-800-392-1207
TDD/TTY: (204) 774-8618
TDD/TTY Relay Service outside Winnipeg: 711 or 1-800-855-0511
- UMSU Health & Dental Insurance
(University of Manitoba Student Union Health & Dental Insurance)
All student must pay for this supplemental insurance unless you already receive "extended insurance coverage" from your job, spouse's job, or parents. In only these instances can you choose to OPT-OUT or not purchase this insurance coverage (see OPT-OUT PROGRAM below)
OPT OUT: STUDENT INSURANCE
Students with alternative "Extended Insurance Coverage" may opt-out of the UMSU Health & Dental Plan. You are required to show proof of other Extended Insurance coverage -- Please read information here about OPTING OUT of the UMSU Health & Dental Plan http://www.umsu.ca/services/health-dental-insurance/opt-out
ALL course selections must be approved by your Academic Advisor (Supervisor) prior to enrollment. Please arrange a meeting with your Academic Advisor to discuss courses appropriate to your research.
CORE COURSE REQUIREMENT
REGARDLESS of your research area Students with backgrounds in...
- ENGINEERING must enroll in, and successfully complete Core Courses in Life Science
- LIFE SCIENCES must enroll in, and successfully complete Core Courses in Engineering
OFFICE SPACE & STUDENT MAIL
Bannatyne(Medical Campus): Students whose Academic Advisors and Labs are located on the Bannatyne Campus may book their offices through their Academic Advisor
Ft. Garry (Main Campus):
- Whose Academic Advisors are NOT in Engineering: Please contact and book your office space through your Academic Advisor
- Whose Academic Advisors ARE in Engineering: Please see the BME Graduate Student Advisor. These rooms are assigned by the Engineering Dean's Office and can take up to 3-months to assign.
Graduate Students are urged to attend the following Orientations. Please attend sign up for the following
- Faculty of Graduate Studies Orientation
- International Student Orientation
Student may wish to sign-up for other Orientation Events... Please feel free to enjoy orientation
WINNIPEG: CULTURAL CENTRES
UNIVERSITY STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
There are over 150 student organizations on-campus representing various cultures, interests, majors, etc. Please have a look and find a group which might be of interest to you https://communitylink.umanitoba.ca/Organizations
Below is a sampling of student organizations which might be of interest to you.
- Assn. of Korean-Canadian Scientists & Engineerings
- Bangladeshi Students' Assn.
- Chinese Students & Scholars Association
- Chinese Community Club
- Culinary Arts Club
- Cricket Assn.
- Egyptian Students Association
- Filipino Students Group
- German Student's Assn.
- Graduate Students' Assn: ECE
- Graduate Students' Assn: BME
- Hillel Winnipeg
- Hong Kong Student Assn
- Indigenous Circle of Empowerment
- Indonesian Group
- Iranian Student's Association
- Jyut Club
- Karthigesan Arasu
- Kenyan Student Assn.
- Korean Students' Assn.
- Rainbow Pride Mosaic (LGBTTQ)
- Malaysian & Singapore Students' Assn.
- Metis University Students' Assn.
- Mexican &Latin American Cultural Society
- Neechiwaken Indigenous Peer Mentor Program
- Nepali Students' Assn.
- Nigerian Students' Assn.
- Pakistan Students Assn.
- Palestinian Assn. of Manitoba
- Photo Club
- Polish Students' Assn
- Punjabi Dance Group
- Vietnamese Student Assn
- Russian Students' Assn.
- Sikh Students Assn
- Sri Lankan Students' Assn.
- Ukrainian Students' Assn
- UofM Car Club
- UofM Food Club
- Zambian Students' Assn
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING STUDENT GROUPS
- MALLS & SHOPPING CENTRES
- DISCOUNT SHOPPING
- Winners -- 60% off new items from clothing to housewares
- Home Sense -- 60% Household items -- (sheets, cooking pans, etc.)
- Jysk -- discounted furniture and household items
- Giant Tiger -- discounted, fresh groceries, cleaning products, clothing, household items
- Real Canadian Superstore -- lower prices on foods, medicines, clothing, household items
- Dollar Stores
- Bulk Barn
- GROCERY SHOPPING & RESTAURANTS
- PHARMACIES / DRUG STORES
- Shoppers Drugs
- Rexall Drugs
- Superstore Drugs
- Most grocery stores have pharmacies
- Most doctor's offices have pharmacies
- ON CAMPUS PHARMACY
LIVING & WORKING IN WINNIPEG
- University Residence Web Site -- http://umanitoba.ca/campus/housing/
- Bannatyne Campus Housing (Medical Campus)
- Additionally there are 2 colleges on-campus offering housing
- ST. ANDREW'S COLLEGE
St. Andrew's is a small college on the campus of the University of Manitoba. The resident halls are within easy walking distance of the Engineering Building. Though the college its self was founded by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, students from a variety of backgrounds reside there and it is a convenient walk to our building http://umanitoba.ca/colleges/st_andrews/
- ST. JOHN'S COLLEGE:
St. John's is another small college on the campus of the University of Manitoba and is very close to the Engineering Building.
WORKING / JOBS
MOVING TO CANADA
MANITOBA DRIVER LICENSE
For information regarding Driver's Licenses in Manitoba, ALL students are welcomed to inquire at the International Centre for Students. Please also see their web page at http://umanitoba.ca/student/ics/transportation/driving.html
- See Banking Information at https://umanitoba.ca/research/international_centre/media/Opening_a_Bank_Account.pdf
- CAMPUS ATMs: Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC Bank) has Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) on campus -- if you use the ATMs on campus there are no service charges if you are a CIBC member, otherwise anyone may use the ATMs, but there may be small service charge per transaction.
- FYI ... All banks are about the same and you'll be able to find branches elsewhere in Canada. Students may usually select banks which are in their area (e.g. close to you home, near your bus stop, near the store, or which offer extended hours, etc.)
POPULAR CANADIAN BANKS NEAR THE UNIVERSITY: Listed in no particular order...
Students can require proof of registration for many difference reasons throughout the course of their degree studies; It is a student's responsibility to learn which document they will require.
Note: Proof of Registration will only be issued at the request of, or with the authorization of the student. Proof of Registration will not be issued to studentswho are on HOLD due to outstanding financial obligations, including tuition, parking tickets, library fines and residence fees.
Students may order and enrolment verification online from Aurora (payment by credit card, Interac and Visa Debit only).
Please see the Registar's Office website for more information on ordering a status letter. The Deptartment of Electrical and Computer Engineering will not provide status letters.
ORDERING COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS (PAST TRANSCRIPTS)
- International or Non-University of Manitoba Transcripts
- You may need a copy of your non-University of Manitoba transcripts
- Send an email to the Graduate Advisor requesting a copy of your "PAST TRANSCRIPTS"
- In the subject area of your EMAIL put only "PAST TRANSCRIPTS"
- I will email you the "PAST TRANSCRIPTS" are ready for pick up
- University of Manitoba Transcripts
- ON-CAMPUS PURPOSES Ask the Registrar's Office for a copy of your "STUDENT HISTORY"
- the Registrar's office will send your "STUDENT HISTORY" to any campus office FREE-OF-CHARGE
- OFF-CAMPUS PURPOSES Ask the Registrar's Office for a copy of your "OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS"
- You may order these
- In either instance, the cost is approximately $13
WORK PERMITS, Visas, & SIN CARDS
Information regarding work permits in Canada may be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work.asp
SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER CARDS (SIN CARDS)
In Canada, the Social Insurance Number is used to administer various government programs & benefits and is needed for employment. These cards are issued through Service Canada Offices located throughout Canada and in some airports.
SERVICE CANADA OFFICES & INFORMATION
- How to apply for a SIN card: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml
- Where can I get a SIN card (near the University of Manitoba: postal code: R3T 2N2)
- Search: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc-srch.cgi?ln=eng
- St. Vital (near the St. Vital Mall -- 6 km from University ) http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc-dsp.cgi?rc=4118&ln=eng
- Downtown (near the Portage Place Mall -- 12 km from University) http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc-dsp.cgi?rc=4123&ln=eng
CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION CANADA (CIC)
The CIC is the federal office responsible for immigration to Canada -- they are in charge of visas. They have an excellent and very helpful website created to assist international students and visitors to Canada. Below are just some of their site which might be of help to International Students.
The CIC now offers visa informations near you to assist you in questions you might have concerning visa paperwork. Please visit a Visa Application Centre of any questions you might have concerning visas -- NEED HELP -- CONTACT A VISA APPLICATION CENTRE