New student orientation

Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences Virtual Tour

Next steps for new students

The UM offers a wide range of online information sessions to help new students prepare for university! Find your footing with next steps, find out what's next and get ready to register!

General questions

How do I know which courses to take to fulfil my program requirements and that I'm registered in the correct courses?

Program information and recommended progressions are available in the “Diploma requirements” section of our Diploma advising page.

If you are unsure if you are registered in the correct courses, please feel free to contact the academic advisors at You can also run a UMAcheive audit.

How does the UM determine a full-time or part-time student status?

Diploma students should note these requirements defer from government student loans and should refer to their student loan information for course load requirements. 

Student status is determined by the number of credit hours in each term (Fall and Winter). In the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, a student who is registered in a 60% course load which is a minimum of 9 credit hours in each term is considered to be a full time student. Therefore, a student with less than 9 credit hours is considered to be a part time student. 

Please note that the definition of full-time and part-time status may vary depending on offices / institutions. To be eligible for most scholarships students will need to have an 80% course load of 12 credit hours in Fall and 12 credit hours in Winter.

International Students should consult with the International Centre regarding their course load requirements for their visas, etc.

Career and student involvement

How to stay up-to-date with FAFS and UM events?

The "Aggie News & Events" bi-weekly newsletter is sent to all Diploma students from September to April. It contains information on upcoming dates, announcements, events, career resources, volunteer opportunities, etc. 

Stay connected by following FAFS on:

How can I get involved with student clubs and organizations?

We are home to some of the most active student groups and clubs on campus, which provides extensive opportunities for fun and non-academic skills development.

Some student organization, volunteer and club experience may be eligible to be added to your Co-Curricular Record.

How can I find volunteer opportunities?

Volunteering is excellent way to gain the skills and experience to reach your academic and career goals. Some UM resources include:

External UM resources:

Check your emails

Student supports

First year student resources

Starting your first year experience
Your first year of university is about settling into school, making good choices and developing good academic habits. Here is a summary of what to accomplish before the term starts and the resources available to you after school is underway.

Contact Us

Agricultural and Food Sciences Student Services Office
160 Agriculture Building | 66 Dafoe Road
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 5V6 Canada

Mon - Fri, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm