Chemical Safety Permits & WHIPs

Updated November 30th 2018

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) has implemented its new Chemical Safety Permit system. Information provided in chemical safety permit application will be used to populate a new Workplace Hazard Information Placard (WHIP). This WHIP will be posted at the entrance of your laboratory or work area and will provide a more descriptive account to first responders in regards to the volumes and types of chemicals or hazardous products in your area.

Chemical Safety permit is located under the Questionnaire section in the Environmental Health and Safety Assistant (EHSA) database with your UMNetID and password.

To log your chemical inventories, please refer to our informational page regarding HECMET.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at