Departmental WHMIS Coordinators and Principal Investigators are responsible for ensuring that any person; storing, handling or using Hazardous Products receives the proper training and is done so in accordance with Part 35 of the Workplace Safety and Health regulations.
Those working with hazardous products must receive training to ensure competency in handling these materials.
WHMIS training at the University of Manitoba will be accessed and completed through UM Learn.
WHMIS 2015 Training Power Point
Instructions to Access WHMIS Training
- Login to UM Learn using your UMNetID and password.
- For personnel who are not eligible to claim a UMNetID (i.e. a volunteer, contract worker, visiting academic, or sessional who is engaged or supported by your department but who is not currently a U of M employee), go to this page and complete the "Individual Sponsored Account" form. We suggest submitting the form at least 2 weeks before the person's start date so that the account is ready to use.
- For personnel who previously had access with their UMNetID, go to this page and complete the "Individual Sponsored Account" form to reactivate your account for UMLearn.
- On the main page, click on "Self Registration" and find "WHMIS Training" in the Course Offering Name list.
- Click on “WHMIS Training” and complete the registration process.
- To complete your WHMIS training, an online test score of 80% or higher is required. Upon successful completion, a certificate will be generated that you can access and print. This certificate can be submitted to your departmental WHMIS coordinator for record keeping. *NOTE: the system will take 5 minutes after the quiz has been completed for the certificate to become available.
- WHMIS certificates can be accessed at any time (see *NOTE above) under Assessments > Awards.